Author Topic: "shock" - Eastern is losing it...  (Read 12886 times)

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
Re: "shock" - Eastern is losing it...
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
If its not too expensive, then i think it would be a decent starter bike...

Oh dude -you ought to check out the DK Opsis for a starter bike -paste "dk opsis info" into the search bar and read the thread -at least the latest pages.  Flatlandfuel has them and they take care of you -I just got mine in the post last night and it's astonishingly decent for the price as a beginner bike.  All you do it put the wheels and handlebars on and then go outside and flatland -but it's also cool that all the parts are upgradable as you progress.  Man, go check it out for sure!

katobmx

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »

I've noticed walmart and K don't even sell pegs of any sort any more these days.

Wrong

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ref=+184192&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&search_query=pegs&ic=48_0&clicked_tab_value=Online&search_constraint=0
target sells knurled pegs...walmart sells the 1.95 version of the tire that comes stock on the OG bike. I made a pretty decent bike using those parts and taking off the unnessasary crap like kick stands reflecors

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »

Eastern has put there 2012 bikes online and one year later I am disappointed that they didn't revise the issues with the SHOCK, there flatland specific beginner bike.

The description of the bike on there site seems to have errors because some things don't match the photos..

The differences from the 2011 model listed are grips, tires and a higher bar (7.5" vs 6.5").

Starting with the tires, they are obviously still too wide, last year they had Fuquay Flyer 2.3" tires and now they have LHR Multi-Surface 2.20 (and a Burner 2.1 pictured in the rear).
They should have just put a Kenda 1.75 or 1.85, it would have been much better.

Again, they use a short 1-piece seat/post combo... why? They should know better!
They even make a 200mm pivotal post.. why not use that?

Then, again surprisingly there are no pegs! And they actually make several models of pegs... What are they thinking?

And for last, on there site they have listed a 9t driver cassette hub, but in the photos It looks more like a 16t Taska Freecoaster.. If that is true at least that is a welcome update!

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
I actually saw a green 2011 model at my local bike shop in the spring. I still havent seen anyone ride with one yet... but no pegs is just funny..

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:34 AM »
I've contacted Eastern directly with a few of these questions when the Shock first came out because like a lot of you, I had questions about it too. The half assed answer I got was that it was a bike directed at the smaller bmx rider, and not directly meant for flatland use. I then asked them to take a look at an Ares frame and I got a "Huh" answer. Eastern more or less has a bunch of tools working for them. Same with KHE.

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »
i worked at a bike shop for a while and they carried these. definetly a smaller bike targeted towards younger kids. i've never been a fan of eastern but i really have no idea what they were thinking when they put the bent downtube on and called it a flatland bike.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »
Most recent Shock -

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
It has some "upgrades" from the first models, like a railed seat, 4 pegs and a Quando Freecoaster,

but it still needs shorter cranks, less offset fork and thinner tires.

Why don't they use the Burnout 2.1 instead of the Funquay 2.3?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:53:47 PM by out~riding »