Author Topic: NYB-Japan: New Freecoaster/Hubs Manufacturer  (Read 13059 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
NYB-Japan: New Freecoaster/Hubs Manufacturer
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:56:57 PM »
NYB-Japan is a new freecoaster and hub manufacturer which has been founded this November. Shigeki Tomozawa, a manager of NYB-JAPAN, worked for Techno Nankai as an engineer in development and manufacturing.

The following hubs will be released in 2013 and made in Japan:
 - K-freecoaster hub FCHK-MX 395g/0.87lbs
 - B-freecoaster hub FCHB-MX 470g/1lbs
 - angular radial cassette free hub CH-MX 490g / 1.1lbs
 - angular radial front hub MHS 265g

All hubs will be available in black and clear polished.

More details are posted on dig-it blog in Japanese. http://blog.digitbmx.com/2012/11/15/nyb-japan/

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
Re: NYB-Japan: New Freecoaster/Hubs Manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
I tried to read the google translated page.

So is this pretty much like a lighter Nankai?  If it's as good, they'll sell a lot of them.

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »
for those that do not have a translator ;

new free Coster is the difference between a hub and up to now? [/size]There is a point of major improvements, three major improvements is the clutch from the most everyone riders test test drive "out of the clutch is completely different, what I started!" Anyway Part 1: promoting the lightweight drastic anyway: Part 2 was the difference between the FCH-K-MX3 / 8 and AKA3 / 8 hub (hub 395 g new) 100 grams lighter FCH-B-MX14mm difference of (the new hub 470 grams) and 44 grams lighter ABA14mm chromoly shafts both is. : Part 3 (with the exception of some parts) that is not compatible with the free part of the traditional co-star hub Nanhai improved without changing the basic design for 20 years, the traditional hub free Coster but forward lightweight This new hub functions are not compatible parts are functional, the result of the significant design changes and quantity. Features Q &A6; NYB-JAPAN front hub? Nanhai front hub but is already on the market five years ago, over lock nut dimension was adjusted so that the newly-mounted Habugado NYB-JAPAN at this time. It is of course bearing angular specification. Outer shape is very well received by everyone in the rider in a very graceful lines were calculated from the computer. [/color]

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
And for those who wants to know what they're really saying about these freecoasters in short:

These freecoasters are made from a new concept, not the old traditional coaster brake without the brake arm concept.  The Japanese Dig-It team has been testimg these new freecoasters and according to them, there's practically no play before engaging the clutch and there are no reverse ghost pedaling no matter how you disengage the clutch.

Been waiting for something like this, I'll be buying one of these as soon as they're available here.  I'm tired of "reseting" my freecoaster before going into a trick.  I just hate it when my pedals eat the back of my ankle during backyard glides when I don't set my freecoaster right.
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline faqe

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »
K-freecoaster hub FCHK-MX 395g/0.87lbs  with deco caps,ti axle,alloy nut will make it 320+/-g...thats really light.

byke

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »
In some ways it's quite sad that nankai is no more.

Given that the brand was so old, and had such a long history in hub making ..... One would have hoped they had continued on using the name.

I forgot when nankai was founded?
In the 1950? Or before that?

Regardless ... A real shame.

byke

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
Nyb = nankai's younger brother?

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 04:18:54 PM »
In 1923 Nankai started as a bicycle parts company, they specialized in coaster brake hubs.
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
Wait, when did Nankai fold?  Why? 

byke

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
I think the owner just got too old and no one was going to take it on.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »
I'm not so sure that Nankai folded, from what I gather the old man retired and now the company is restructuring itself under the new owners.

Anyway, it seems these new NYB hubs are the evolution of Nankai hubs.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
nankai is still around - got word from patrick schoolen that the son took over the business rather than mr. nankai's aging brother. pat says he's expecting new delivery of nankai stuff early 2013!

i am happy to see a retinkering of the nankai f/c by the other company; it's interesting to see how nankai freecoaster evolves from competiton from other companies (like profile's alloy shell).

it's true that the k-series uses the same system from eons ago, but i did a complete disassemble of my new alloy shell techolite and managed to compare parts made just 2 years ago: the axles are shorter, the drive cone is hollow, shorter and hexed, the brake stop is hollowed out... so nankai is not exactly frozen in time, just backwards compatible like profile.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:26:07 AM by K.Wong »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »
nankai is still around - got word from patrick schoolen that the son took over the business rather than mr. nankai's aging brother. pat says he's expecting new delivery of nankai stuff early 2013!

i am happy to see a retinkering of the nankai f/c by the other company; it's interesting to see how nankai freecoaster evolves from competiton from other companies (like profile's alloy shell).

it's true that the k-series uses the same system from eons ago, but i did a complete disassemble of my new alloy shell techolite and managed to compare parts made just 2 years ago: the axles are shorter, the drive cone is hollow, shorter and hexed, the brake stop is hollowed out... so nankai is not exactly frozen in time, just backwards compatible like profile.
That's good to hear, I was very worried about this news the last few days.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline Flatlandfuel

• Company
    • flatlandfuel
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:05 PM »
NYB is the new Nankai

Offline Bone

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
has any body tried these hubs out yet ??????????