Author Topic: tailwhips progress  (Read 15817 times)

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
Re: tailwhips progress
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
This may sound silly but it took me years of playing with tailwhips. I had such a hard time getting them. But what I did wrong for so long was kicking with my foot, its a push. I found the kick was messing up my balance.

But when you get them they are so fun. when I rode I always made sure I landed 3 as I dont want to loose the trick as they are fun and quick.
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
  • im on iron mans back! ,-
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
Here's the vid, the bike spins the other way when I go straight from pedals and the last one is off the back pegs enjoy!
Tailwhips
''let me tell ya something i did a front n rear wheel hang on the cloping on the slide of the spine, now i stick to street!''

''do you freestyle?''

However serious you take it general public sees us as just dicking about on 'kids' bikes, some people could do to remember that and smile a little.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
I must be the goofy-ist? Rider ever everything I'm doing is sorta working for me but it's not the way most do it lol i noticed I whip the other way for that last tailwhip you did yella so I'm whiping in both directions???
Anywhoo il try get a vid together but it's not really a how to more of a why do as in why do I chuck em both ways!?

Why be upset about a difference?  It kicks ass that you can do them both ways, that's an awesome skill.

I might be able to struggle through one the other direction, I don't think I've tried, but some of us put in a lot of time learning opposite whiplashes for instance and you seem to do it naturally.

The more different you are, the better I'd say.

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:10:40 AM »
nice variation from the back pegs! i might steal it from you when i get those tailwhips down :D
keneken: not put off :) actually encouraged by all the tips i've been getting :)

i gotta keep working on my tricks soon i'll get my first "edit" posted :D i actually have a set goal to have that tailwhip landed at least 3 or 4 times by the 27th ;)

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »
a quick update, i noticed my weight was off to my right which made me lose balance, i got the hang of it without breaks and i almost land 2 or 3 today :D i hope i land a few by next saturday..
totally off topic does anyone have a video or something on ride outs for a fork glide? i cant reach the back peg not sure why :S i keep flipping over the bars :s , this actually relates cause the tailwhip is my step to a fire hydrant :D

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
  • im on iron mans back! ,-
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
It's not my video but it's the one I found and keep going back to (Cnt do all 5 yet) I learned the cyclone ride outs first but everybody is different, hope this helps :)

5 Fork Glide Ride Outs Small | Large
''let me tell ya something i did a front n rear wheel hang on the cloping on the slide of the spine, now i stick to street!''

''do you freestyle?''

However serious you take it general public sees us as just dicking about on 'kids' bikes, some people could do to remember that and smile a little.

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
thats what i was looking for! i tried to do the cyclone but i cant reach the peg without flipping over :(

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »
Quick update.from my.phone! im so close to land that tailwhip i filmed part of my pracctice session :) and i am really close i had a few almost there il do a small edit to show you guys how im doing i just have trouble with the landing my bike starts to roll backwards ???? il upload the video later

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »
my phone was all crooked :P but yeah there it is
tailwhips Small | Large

week 2 or is it 3? i dont know anyway there's my progress

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:14 AM »
You really gave a huge big smile to my face! I can see how you want the tailwhip so bad, it reminded me of me years ago when I first started flatland.

Ok what you are doing is kicking the frame and its making you rotate as well as the frame. (ok, it looks cool but is super harder than a normal tailwhip)

You need to push the frame with your foot, not kick.

And let your arms do all the work. Look back at OldYeller's video and get the hang of moving the frame with your arms.

It looks stupid but it really helps alot. It too me years to get tailwhips as I was on and off them. I was so frustrated with them. But when I got some help from actual riders who could to them I had it in a couple of weeks.

And remember its called a tailwhip as you whip it with your arms. Its not a tailkick...I just came up with that  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would make a video to help but I have no bike.

keep trying
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline mad.scientist

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 06:41:27 AM »
i was gonna ask about that spinning! :) thanks for answering that beforehand.... yeah i want to land that so bad! i almost got it a few times, and i cut the video up to make it 5 minutes, out of a 2 or 3 hour session and somewhere near 30 minutes of video (with some interruptions from a friend i ran into and some people who stepped in front of my phone)

Offline jhdk

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
Im going to borrow this thread aswell.. I got my bike 3 weeks ago, and i have just started out practicing tailwhips, and i made a short video.. The thing that goes wrong for me mostly is that i dont hover over the bars, and as a result i start to fall back as soon as the frame spins around..

But take a look and tell me if you got any tips.. By the way i've been practicing swinging the frame around using only the arms as OldYeller told mad.scientist, and i think i got that part "okay".

[size=78%]https://vimeo.com/52069827[/size]

edit: i don't know why the video says "invalid" in the beginning ???

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »
mad.scientist: glad to see you're keeping it up!  You're getting really close on some of them.

Don't get discouraged, the first tricks tend to take a while, but you're picking up techniques that you'll be able to apply to other tricks that will make them go more quickly.

jhdk: I think it's cool that you're adding to this thread.

The first thing I thought when I saw your video is that you do seem timid about putting all your weight on your foot so you never really get a chance to balance.

This may be because you seem to be traveling faster than I would when learning them.  Slow down a little bit and you will have less chance of falling forward.  It's a pretty abrupt stop the way you're doing it.

If you're using your brake and they half-way work, you'll have a really solid thing to stand on, so stand up a little bit more.

I think you'll find that with most tricks, there is a point where you and the bike sort of lock in like a single unit and it's a really cool feeling.  For example, on a tailwhip you'll have pressure on the tire (maybe a little against the back of the fork) and equal pressure pulling back on the bars, which will make it feel really solid.

It's very rare that you'll feel like the bike is loose and flopping around if you're doing a trick right, so it's a good indicator that something needs to change.

Keep it up guys!

Offline jhdk

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 05:07:25 PM »
OldYeller: Thanks for the advice :)  Yea i think that is correct, i have been trying to get more weigth on the foot on the tire, because i figured that was one of the things that i do wrong.

I use my brakes, and they are okay. The tire doesn't move when i step on it. Do you recommend braking only with the brake or use the foot aswell? Until now i have been using both foot and brake. I will try to slow down and put more weight on the foot on the tire, and then make a update later.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 05:24:08 PM »
Do you recommend braking only with the brake or use the foot aswell? Until now i have been using both foot and brake. I will try to slow down and put more weight on the foot on the tire, and then make a update later.

I'm not really sure to be honest.  It happens pretty fast and once the trick starts, it's just sort of a platform to stand on.  I can do it with or without brakes, but I definitely use the brake when it's available.

Don't pick up the rear of the bike purely by abruptly stopping the front wheel though.  Much like doing an endo, almost all of it is actually done by shifting your body weight.  It's an illusion.

They can be done from a complete stand still, but a little bit forward momentum helps, especially when learning.  If you notice in the videos above, we're barely moving forward before we start.