Author Topic: No more Colony Flatland....  (Read 7775 times)

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
Re: No more Colony Flatland....
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »
Well then, I guess flatland is always going to be small. Bummer!
I don't know that it will ever be as big as it was in the past, but the fact that so many kids doing hang 5's and whiplashes at parks can't hurt. i have had plenty of street guys come up to us and ask about flat.   
Imagine a society where riders do a lil bit of every type of riding again (without specific bikes for specific disciplines).  That way we wouldnt need "flat specific" anything and we could all ride happily ever after!
 :beer:

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »
Well then, I guess flatland is always going to be small. Bummer!
I don't know that it will ever be as big as it was in the past, but the fact that so many kids doing hang 5's and whiplashes at parks can't hurt. i have had plenty of street guys come up to us and ask about flat.   
Imagine a society where riders do a lil bit of every type of riding again (without specific bikes for specific disciplines).  That way we wouldnt need "flat specific" anything and we could all ride happily ever after!
 :beer:

I really like what your saying!!!!!

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »
I'm kinda sad hearing this, I've always loved their products. (Except for their Cube forks, total garbage)
I had a Cube frame and it held up great and I still use their Cube bars. Better buy another pair before they are all gone. :-(

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 07:41:57 PM »
I always felt like their product like was a little lacking, and quite strange looking. Their frames and forks weren't really interesting and the geometry was always kind of ho-hum, even for average flatlander specs. I did like the look of their deja vu bars, but didn't really offer an option for wider widths.

A shame to see them go, but they always seemed a step behind what people wanted.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
I did like the look of their deja vu bars, but didn't really offer an option for wider widths.

A shame to see them go, but they always seemed a step behind what people wanted.

Also if I remember - the first instance of those bars were like 6.5" tall or something?

I get they were Simon's signatures - but I've said this time and time again - regardless of signature or not, sometimes you just have to sell what the market wants. In this case, the market wanted 8"+.

Shame tho, I like Colony as a company. Their clone parts had a bit of extra detailing than other street companies clone parts (hubs cranks rims etc) and their street frames had some great finishes.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
flatland will always be small and it is a good thing
and not so good thing

It has its  good points for this and bad points
because it is small!

byke

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 06:17:52 PM »
And while the world remains round it will always be a good thing
and sometimes a not so good thing

Until things change for the good
but not always so good
because its round

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
I did like the look of their deja vu bars, but didn't really offer an option for wider widths.

Also if I remember - the first instance of those bars were like 6.5" tall or something?

I get they were Simon's signatures - but I've said this time and time again - regardless of signature or not, sometimes you just have to sell what the market wants. In this case, the market wanted 8"+.

Shame tho, I like Colony as a company. Their clone parts had a bit of extra detailing than other street companies clone parts (hubs cranks rims etc) and their street frames had some great finishes.

Yeah they were small as hell if I remember correctly. Nobody else makes bars that small because nobody buys them.

I think that's a point often overlooked by people who want 48 hole hubs and weird geometry. If the market is not going to buy it, what's the point in making it and selling it?