Author Topic: Modern Bikes prototype flatland frames preview  (Read 43966 times)

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Re: Modern Bikes prototype flatland frame preview...
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »
Thanks, Revig for the comments. lol
I'm not Standard. This is a Modern Bikes thread! Thanks! :) But very informative also! I suggest others read it also.
The site will come later when I start selling the frames.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:13:31 AM by Joshua S. »
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline jimib

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 11:54:07 PM »
Joshua I think it looks pretty good. I like the 19.25 tt, the Fenix I'm on has a 19.25 and it feels pretty good. I'm not sure about the enclosed drop outs for the same reason, I have a Nankai, so if I change to a frame with enclosed drop outs I'll also have to drop $ for a new hub or new wheel. It seems the majority roll on Nankai's or KHE's so you would want to keep that in mind. I've seen your park frame in person and it is sweet, you seem to be on the right track, if the flatland frame turns out to be as nice as it, your gold!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »
Thanks Jimi! I like that Fenix also! We'll see about the enclosed dropouts. Ezra and Eclat are getting ready to release their freecoasters. They both will come with the option of female axle and hopefully a kit also. And the Ezra can be used as a cassette also! I don't know how that works but I'm going to find out when they come out!  ;D I don't know if you've seen them yet?
Who knows, I might look at those freecoasters (nankai & KHE) and see what would be needed to turn them into female axle.  :)

www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
Simply shrinking a park frame won't suffice. Flatland related stress (lateral and fatigue) wears out the frame different than a street frame. Seattube-toptube junction comes to mind where lots of bikes crack.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
I'm not saying it will be exactly as the PARK frame. There will be extra attention put to those places you and others have suggested. Thanks.

This frame is getting better as we speak! Thank You! Also, reading that thread about Standard Bykes was very informative on what people want. That's what I'm trying to do here!
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline xsjadorider

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
i think it looks great and i think the enclosed dropouts are a nice idea,  id rather use a female coaster (i do now) than a male axle but thats just my opinion

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »
not to be nasty but if your in the BMX market and dont know much about byke, how long have you been in the BMX industry?

Have you seen his last two frames he designed? Oh and the swiss miss KHE bars too  :-*

He is the best help around. He may not be a welder (but knows tonnes about the properties though) but he knows alot about bicycle engineering.

He loves BMX and will do alot to help others. yes you are seeing it from a business side but someone with his knowledge and years of input onto BMX I would jump for his help.
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Jesa

• Team
  • Hitchhiker
    • Bristol Flatland UK
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
This frame has a major flaw, the fact that you would have to buy a new freecoaster if you wanted this frame. (that is if you didnt already have female coaster) In my opinion flatland specific frames are already strong enough without closed dropouts. Ive seen riders break almost everything, but never the rear dropouts.

byke

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
Hey guys,
My past comments seem to have gotten myself into a situation where my my views as a poster on this thread seem to have taken on a angle that I am not comfortable with.

I dont want to be the Simon Cowell of flatland.... Maybe one of Dragons Den .... ;) 

I love all aspects of design (even bad attempts).

I was hoping to comment on this thread like anyone else, but it seems that my past post evoked something negative which wasnt my intention. And now more focus is placed on myself and "status" rather than the part being discussed.

Josh has sent me a couple of PM's and I have replied .... and thats it - we are on different planets.
Given this thread seems to be more about me now, I am going to try and refrain from commenting on it.

I will reiterate and say I don't think its ready for prototyping - but thats it.

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
I dont want to be the Simon Cowell of flatland.... Maybe one of Dragons Den .... ;) 

I always thought Simon Cowell knows sh*t all about music, hes just a rich man who owes a label.

Back to thread.

About the frame... Me personally dont like the closed dropouts and the idea of the 3 sizes sounds good.
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
i think it looks great and i think the enclosed dropouts are a nice idea,  id rather use a female coaster (i do now) than a male axle but thats just my opinion
Thanks xsjadorider!
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
not to be nasty but if your in the BMX market and dont know much about byke, how long have you been in the BMX industry?

Have you seen his last two frames he designed? Oh and the swiss miss KHE bars too  :-*

He is the best help around. He may not be a welder (but knows tonnes about the properties though) but he knows alot about bicycle engineering.

He loves BMX and will do alot to help others. yes you are seeing it from a business side but someone with his knowledge and years of input onto BMX I would jump for his help.

Hey, I don't know his name other than byke. I appreciate the info.
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »

I always thought Simon Cowell knows sh*t all about music, hes just a rich man who owes a label.

Back to thread.

About the frame... Me personally dont like the closed dropouts and the idea of the 3 sizes sounds good.

When it is near test completion & goes to the market, there will be more positives than what I explained for the enclosed dropouts. Remember this is only a preview... i've only released a few details on the frame. Thanks.
I've also been thinking about doing some female axles for the freecoaster that don't have them.
Wouldn't You like those free with this frame! :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:35:42 PM by Joshua S. »
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline mnbmxkid1996

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
I think best toptube options are 18.5 19 and 19.5 seem like the average sizes now to be a unique frame fnd the most popular frames use those toptubes and make it better and I agree with everone on the dropouts the only hub I knowis infinty which is heavy and khe which I much more expensive I know aot who have the ufree and seem to be the freecoaster in use now also this being a flat frame I don't think going open dropouts wll sacriface strength

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »
I think best toptube options are 18.5 19 and 19.5 seem like the average sizes now to be a unique frame fnd the most popular frames use those toptubes and make it better and I agree with everone on the dropouts the only hub I knowis infinty which is heavy and khe which I much more expensive I know aot who have the ufree and seem to be the freecoaster in use now also this being a flat frame I don't think going open dropouts wll sacriface strength

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider the TT sizes. Ezra & Elcat are defiantly coming out with female freecoaster. And from what I hear, Colony might be also? If it has to do with strength issues I will not pass it up. Enclosed dropouts are stronger than enclosed. I would rather have enclosed dropouts than thin holey dropouts or similar. That's just what I would do. Thanks! :)
www.modernbikesbmx.com