Author Topic: Modern Bikes prototype flatland frames preview  (Read 43938 times)

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Modern Bikes prototype flatland frames preview
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »
Here are a few photos of the Modern Bikes FLATLAND frame designs w/ specs. It's just a PREVIEW, so that's why it's very dark, no decals,etc. But what you can see is the Enclosed Dropouts which is the highlight of the frame:  The advantages of enclosed dropouts are they are stronger than open dropouts, they won't pinch like open dropouts will when the wheel is slammed. Plus, they  don't get hung up on things, and easier to set up the rear end slammed without struggling to get the chain on: http://modernbikesbmx.blogspot.com/2012/09/modern-bikes-flatland-frame-prototype.html
*Specs:
OX Platinum Chromoly Tubing
19" Top Tube
Mid BB
Integrated Heat Tube
Removable Brake Hardware
75 Head Tube
71 Seat Tube
13-13.5" Chainstay
Enclosed Dropouts -3/8"
5.5" Standover Height
11.5"  BB Height
Under 4lbs.

What do you like, what would you change, what don't you like? Our company is all about the riders and all feedback, comments, suggestions will be considered. You help us make this frame better.
This is the prototype so anything can change. Our rider Isaiah Jordan will be testing it over the next few months:

Thanks!
Ps: I am not advertising because I'm not selling anything. This is for discussion and to exchange ideas.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:45:40 PM by Joshua S. »
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Modern Bikes prototype flatland frame preview...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
GOOD LOOKING FRAME
SEEMS A LITTLE LONG FOR ME
I DON'T KNOW BUT IT SEEMS THAT WAY!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Closed dropouts will limit the freecoaster selection.. There's really not a lot of advantages of having it closed..

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
NOTICED THAT
WTF
YEAH CHANGE THAT!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »
Haha!
Well there are a few. Stronger than open dropouts, wont pinch, & if you slam your wheel it's alot easier to install. So far there are two freecoasters on the market that have female axles. And I believe soon that there will be more. I have also been emailing freecoaster companies about it.
Instead of the Enclosed Dropouts what would you suggest? Something other than open dropouts with a few holes in them.
Mutt...I mean rideflat43, it has a 19 inch tt. Do you ride a smaller tt?
I'm thinking about doing a short tt around 19", a medium 19.5" or so & a  long tt about 20.5". And these frames will be as strong as our PARK frame. I won't sacrifice strength for looks and light weight & won't make something heavy and unstylish. It will be a combination of both. So, every frame we make will be strong enough to ride anything and still be just as light as the latest flat frames on the market today.
www.modernbikesbmx.com

byke

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
I mean this with the greatest respect, but I don't think that design is ready to go to prototype yet.

And as discussed the closed dropouts will limit you to female coasters only .... Which don't work properly most of the time.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »
Why isn't this ready for prototype yet?
I know the limitation to female axle only but which freecoaster(s) do not work properly?

If you guys could go into detail on why wouldn't something work or anything else it will help alot.
www.modernbikesbmx.com

byke

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:16 AM »
Can you post up the 2D blueprints with tube specs?

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:06 AM »
Like I said this is only a preview. Those will be released later on, close to or at the time of production.
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 02:35:01 AM »
I love the geometry, particularly the longer CS. The looks of the frame are even better.

As for the close dropouts, yes-- I only use nankai and that'd be a problem. Second, and less important, I personally don't like the integrated seat clamp, but that is just me.

A 19.25" TT option would be amazing

K

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 02:53:06 AM »
i rode a st martin, a mankind alive and a quamen chyphyr, all of which are narrow diamond frames(which i do like the look of) and i broke the sh*t out of each of 'em in the exact same place, near the head tube.  the down tubes buckled on 2 of them and the tt on the quamen.  would a gusset eliminate this problem?

Offline Deadwing

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 03:12:22 AM »
I have a frame by PiR made with closed dropouts. While I agree its a neat idea it is as many said already, it is a limitation on what coasters you can use. I have a femaled nankai that I had machined, but most people aren't gonna spend the time to get custom made axles just so they can use it with a specific frame. I got it for the sheer novelty  and while I think its neat, its really not needed. If this is going to be a mass produced frame gotta give it full options rather than limiting it with only closed dropouts.

Also why did you decide to go with a mid bb instead of spanish?
Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/hashcab217

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 03:40:59 AM »

Sorry but that sucks and you will loose interest as people will like your frame have the money to buy it but wont as they dont want to get a female freecoaster.

Why give people the choice in brakes or no brakes but they can only use a certain freecoaster???

"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 05:12:23 AM »
I love the geometry, particularly the longer CS. The looks of the frame are even better.

As for the close dropouts, yes-- I only use nankai and that'd be a problem. Second, and less important, I personally don't like the integrated seat clamp, but that is just me.

A 19.25" TT option would be amazing

K

I appreciate the feedback & comments. There will be more tt options.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:34:15 AM by Joshua S. »
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 05:15:49 AM »
i rode a st martin, a mankind alive and a quamen chyphyr, all of which are narrow diamond frames(which i do like the look of) and i broke the sh*t out of each of 'em in the exact same place, near the head tube.  the down tubes buckled on 2 of them and the tt on the quamen.  would a gusset eliminate this problem?

For them possibly. How & who these frames will be built by and the type of material will not require gussets but the strength problem with those frames in those particular areas will be discussed.
What were you doing when those broke? And the down tube buckled on 2 of em?! WOW.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 05:32:51 AM by Joshua S. »
www.modernbikesbmx.com