Author Topic: Modern Bikes prototype flatland frames preview  (Read 43951 times)

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Re: Modern Bikes prototype flatland frame preview...
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
My version of this frame will be a 20.5". If many want that I will make it. But I'm just letting you know that's what size I'll be testing.
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 01:41:17 AM »
Looks like these female axle freecoasters are out now:
KHE Greyhound
Stranger Coastersarus
Infinity Flow
Eclat Blind
Ezra
Colony

Revenge Industry (prototype)
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
stranger coastersarus and infinity flow are probly the same. are semi-female (hermaphrodite?) - have shorten 14mm axle sticking out like those 10mm mtb's skewer types hubs; can't use enclosed dropouts with them.

byke

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »
Many companies now are starting to state that the coasters that feature a ladyboy axle are for peg less riders.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »
so the infinity flow and coastersarus are termed "ladyboys" now? and why are they recommand for pegless only? issues?

byke

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
I think Ladyboy is a great way to describe this type of coaster.

I believe the issue with the ladyboy coasters is they use a 10mm axle which is weaker than that of a 14mm axle for street ...  so for companies marketing their coasters - they want as little problems as possible. So recommending mini race cranks to a fat bloke is like recommending an chick coaster to a street rider. And also because ladyboy coasters have a 3pc design, it leaves greater issues regarding tolerances and play which is never a good thing for coasters (compared to a bloke axle).

Obviously Ladyboy coasters offer greater strength than chick coasters - which I personally believe will become less popular over time due to odd issues.

But when coasters have gone from blokes to chicks in terms of strength and reliability - it really makes me question if such changes will also result in a coaster that acts up and is temperamental lots of the time.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
stranger coastersarus and infinity flow are probly the same. are semi-female (hermaphrodite?) - have shorten 14mm axle sticking out like those 10mm mtb's skewer types hubs; can't use enclosed dropouts with them.

Those aren't too female then. lol Why do they do this when you can have a regular axle? Isn't that all it is only the 14mm axle is hollowed out for 3/8" bolts?lol Regular female axles are just as strong...
www.modernbikesbmx.com

byke

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »

Those aren't too female then. lol Why do they do this when you can have a regular axle? Isn't that all it is only the 14mm axle is hollowed out for 3/8" bolts?lol Regular female axles are just as strong...

This is because the design isn't looking to create a stronger axle in this particular instance.

The design itself is looking to reduce issues problems in regards to the coasters performance.
As without this extra support of the main part of the coaster body being supported in the dropouts, it can lead to variables that effect the performance of the coaster.

And a coaster that doesn't work properly is more problematic than anything else such as Axle strength ... which doesnt usually effect flat riders in the same way it does street riders.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
I found this searching around on this forum: http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=53023.0
View the last post. Anyone know if they are still coming out with the full female 3/8" Infinity Freecoaster?
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:07 AM »
i think it's the st. martin's darwin freecoaster - heavier and $10 more expensive.

Offline getzfafive

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
I don't think you could use enclosed dropouts with any ladyboy axle free-coasters.  It would be too hard to spread the frame to get the axle in.

I have a Stranger Coastersaurus at the moment and I can't spread my frame to make the wheel fall out of the dropouts.  I still have to slide it out like a normal axle.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:15 AM »
i think it's the st. martin's darwin freecoaster - heavier and $10 more expensive.

Looks Like it is.
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
I don't think you could use enclosed dropouts with any ladyboy axle free-coasters.  It would be too hard to spread the frame to get the axle in.

I have a Stranger Coastersaurus at the moment and I can't spread my frame to make the wheel fall out of the dropouts.  I still have to slide it out like a normal axle.

Thanks for that info. There are alot of full female axles that are out now or are coming soon. So that's a good thing! :) 
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »
Found the Cult Freecoaster too!
http://www.free-coaster.com/?page_id=781
www.modernbikesbmx.com

byke

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »

That doesnt look like a female axle ?
Unless its only a female on one side? which would render it useless with enclosed dropouts anyway.
I dont believe its in production yet either.