Author Topic: Lightweight Bars for FLAT and STREET?  (Read 8169 times)

Offline houdini

• Forkglider
Lightweight Bars for FLAT and STREET?
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »
Hey guys...Im a fixture at BMXMUSEUM and have found my way here....I was wondering if someone could recommend a set of lightweight "all purpose" BMX bars. I always use Peregrine Q-bars but wanted to shed some weight on this build.

Thanks! Houdini from NYC

Ill be building this up with all New School parts and technology by the way...1992 Haro Master. =)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:03:36 AM by houdini »

Offline cbentley

Re: Lightweight Bars for FLAT and STREET?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »
There's something oddly familiar about that frame...  B)

I miss the old knee saver style myself but judging by most modern bars I'd say I'm in the minority. You might look at the S&M Intrikat bars or Odyssey Hobby bars. Loved the feel of both but the Intrikats were a shade too tall for me. I ride park on the Hobby bars and they're solid. If you like more sweep and less rise you could check in to the Kink Badger bars or S&M Slam XLT which have similar specs to the old "Woody" bars. Seems like most new school bars are way lighter than in the old days. Can't wait to see the Haro built up!

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:54:59 AM »
Hey Houdini from where in nyc you are??

Offline houdini

• Forkglider
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:07:53 AM »
There's something oddly familiar about that frame...  B)

I miss the old knee saver style myself but judging by most modern bars I'd say I'm in the minority. You might look at the S&M Intrikat bars or Odyssey Hobby bars. Loved the feel of both but the Intrikats were a shade too tall for me. I ride park on the Hobby bars and they're solid. If you like more sweep and less rise you could check in to the Kink Badger bars or S&M Slam XLT which have similar specs to the old "Woody" bars. Seems like most new school bars are way lighter than in the old days. Can't wait to see the Haro built up!

Hey Chris! Shes all polished up and ready to build!  ;D

I liked those Intrikit bars but they dont seem to be that much lighter than my Peregrines, so I might consider sticking to what I know.

I have PRIMO STRANDS, a CRUPI pivotal in 22.2 on order and a pretty light Primo 36H wheelset. Im letting my buddy Chris at the bike shop worry about the gearing since I know NOTHING about the New School stuff. I will be using this custom 1 1/8" stem though. I got it from a UK member at the Museum who I helped ship a few things to ands its a nice mix of old and new.

The biggest surprise was the weight of this ole frame. 5lbs! Pretty comparable to new school frames with the geometry Im used to. SWEET!
Im pretty excited to try all this new stuff! Thanks for any help or advice in advance. H

This is my other 92 Master by the way! Disquised as an 87 Team Master.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:48:07 AM by houdini »

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
Intrikat.

Offline houdini

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
Intrikat.

2 votes for the Intrikits....My Peregrine QBars are 2lbs...Im not sure it would be worth the minimal weight savings though considering the Intrikits are 1.85lbs.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »
I just got your bike's spiritual cousin put together tonight.  I have the same questions on bars so I used an old set of Haros for now.

It looks like you're using a barely laid back post on your yellow bike.  I'm not sure why we used laybacks on these things, I'm about to chop the top off of this one.

I wasn't really happy with my Strands so I went with Odyssey f25's this time.  I like some rake in my forks.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »
How about some Autum Escobars? They look like the old Haro bars

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »
mtf's kneesavers for nostagia,
khe arceor bar/ stem combo ver. 2 for contemporary take on 2-pc bars.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
How about some Autum Escobars? They look like the old Haro bars

How do the Escobars hold up?

I looked at some Chase bars, but I hear about them breaking constantly just from riding flat.

Prior to finding these old bars, I was running regular S&M Slams.  They're durable and feel nice, but the crossbar is a little bit high and the bottom is a little wide.

I hate to be superficial, but I really like the look of 4 piece bars and the knee clearance is nice.

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
I had to look up the MTF's.  Those look really nice if they hold up decently.  They even have some sweep to them but Flatland fuel only has zero sweep.

The Quamens look pretty good, at least the Grande's are wide enough, but no sweep and look extremely weak.  I could be wrong on the durability though, it just looks unsupported.

Colony Cube's look pretty good, have some sweep and are already about 25" like I prefer, but I have no idea how tough they are.

From a pure feel and durability point of view, it's probably hard to beat the Intrikats though.  They have a fairly small bottom to them too.

Offline houdini

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
I just ordered the Intrikats...thanks guys! More pics as I build her. H

Offline houdini

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
I just got your bike's spiritual cousin put together tonight.  I have the same questions on bars so I used an old set of Haros for now.

It looks like you're using a barely laid back post on your yellow bike.  I'm not sure why we used laybacks on these things, I'm about to chop the top off of this one.

I wasn't really happy with my Strands so I went with Odyssey f25's this time.  I like some rake in my forks.

The trickstar looks great bro! Love it!

Offline OldYeller

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
Thanks man.

I'm sure you'll like the Intrikats.  Post some pics when you get it together.

byke

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
Order some PIR bars with a stem built in.
That way you can get the weight down and get the geometry you want.

WinWin