Author Topic: Flatland back in the Dew Tour !!!!!!  (Read 11788 times)

Offline bikerbilly18

• Funky Chicken
  • Big Mac!
Re: Flatland back in the Dew Tour !!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »
anyone got  plans for a jam after the contest? sounds like a good opportunity to me!

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:14 PM »
While this is HUGE news for flatland, the biggest in years.....it appears to only be a trial basis. If hundreds of spectators can't stay focused for more than five minutes and don't stay for the duration, it's doomed. And if we are depending on those few flatlanders in a close enough proximity to attend to be those several hundred "general viewing spectators" in disguise, we are also doomed.

That being said, I hope this succeeds because it's cool as hell.

Offline Eshek

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »
What day is this suppose to take place? It doesn't say on any of the sites I've been on.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
This is good news, and I'm happy that the guys involved might be able to make some extra cash.

BUT..... 

Don't expect flat to get equal billing with the other parts of riding on TV, because it just won't.   Flat is too fast moving, too abstract, and not dangerous looking enough to be a good choice for TV viewing for more than a minute or two.   

Not that flatland isn't good or difficult or entertaining to do or fun, but I think it's time we realized that are certain things that translate better to TV, and no matter how fast someone spins on flatland, no matter how hard a flatland trick is, watching someone flow 14' flairs is always going to be more entertaining for the general public when watching on TV.  Modern flat is just way, way too abstract for the average viewer to make sense of it.   

Now live and in PERSON, flatland can be pretty entertaining for a little while, but the general public, for the most part, aren't going to stay interested for more than 15-30 minutes tops.     
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:04:18 PM by D »

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 11:29:51 PM »
hope they will put spectators as close as posible to action. i think it plays a huge roll for ppl to get interested in flat.

i fully agree with that. the first time i saw flatland, the sound of it really impressed me. no substitute for seeing it close up in person.

Offline Flatland Fanatic

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:06 AM »
I am super excited.  Hopefully flatland will be added to more Dew Tour stops in the future.  It will work as long as the riders stay cool and don't start complaining so much.  I think that the X-Games couldn't stand all of the whining and crying about the surface, the contest placings, etc... 

If the Dew Tour thing blows up and in 2 or 3 years it is a full contest, that would be great.  If you go and you don't place as high as you thought you should, PLEASE don't make a scene that is going to get flatland removed.  Think before you act.  Most riders are really cool, but it only takes 1 to piss off the wrong person.

Offline bikerbilly18

• Funky Chicken
  • Big Mac!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
looks like they updated the dew tour schedule
Sunday, August 19
(Dew Tour Experience hours: 12:00PM – 6:00PM)
1:45PM – 2:15PM BMX Park Final
2:45PM – 4:00PM Skateboard Bowl Final
4:30PM – 5:15PM BMX Flatland
6:00PM – 7:00PM SKB Mega 2.0 Fina

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
JAM CIRCLE DEAL WITH 4 RIDERS..ALL THEY CAN GIVE FLATLAND
WTF??

TOLD YOU NOT TO BELIEVE THE HYPE!

NEW SCHEDULE POSTED!!

FLATLAND IS 7-7:30PM AT NIGHT ON SUNDAY NIGHT.....
WHEN EVERYONE LEFT AFTER THE BIG MEGA  BMX JUMPING
CONTEST IS OVER AND IT IS AN 1/2 HOUR AND IF THE MEGA
JUMP SAY RUNS 15 MINUTE OVER..FORGET EVEN FLATLAND
EVEN HAPPENING...

THIS IS THE RESPECT FLATLAND GETS..LAST EVENT? AFTER PRETTY
MUCH EVERYONE HAS LEFT AND MIGHT GET BUMP BECAUSE IT
IS JUST AN 1/2 LONG AND IS WAY SHORTER THAN ANY EVENT
THERE...HOW YOU EXPECT FLATLAND TO BE SEEN...

NO CHANCE AND YEAH FLATLANDERS ARE A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS
ON BIKES DOING BALLET..PROBABLY WHAT THEY ARE THINKING
AND NO APPEAL FOR THE PUBLIC...

NO RESPECT FOR FLATLAND AT ALL!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:36:09 AM by rideflat43 »

Offline sckain

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
I anyone going down to OC that wants to split a room?

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
If what Mutt is saying is true, I think the organizers could have pushed flat to the beginning of the event(maybe even a tad bit earlier than the actual starting event schedule)   Would of made more sense I think, and maybe brought in a few more people in for sales numbers.(Just my thoughts)

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
There's no reason for them to give us ANY respect, if by respect you mean airtime or prominence, unless they think it's a good investment.  The only thing the Dew Tour is interested in showing is whatever will sell commercials and be appealing to the people watching.  A 35 year old man spinning on one wheel 10" off the ground is not going to do that when compared with a fighter jock rock star superstar vert rider skying nearly 40' off the ground at 45 mph.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  The Dew Tour is a business, and they owe it to their sponsors and advertisers and audience to showcase what people want to see.   

We've just going to have to get over this idea that somehow they "owe" flatland because it is or was part of BMX freestyle or that it's the basis for all riding, or whatever.  I spent years being mad about the fact what I did wasn't as popular with the public as ramp riding, but those are the facts.  When we are standing next to the vert guys, I'm sorry, but we're ALWAYS going to be a warm up act.  Not everyone can be the lead singer, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if you want to be a rock star, you've chosen the wrong discipline of BMX.

Again, not to downgrade or cheapen what's being done in flatland today, it's amazing.  But if hard to understand and appreciate things were most popular, then Steve Vai would be the world's most popular musician and technical rock climbing would be the world's most popular sport.  Difficulty level doesn't always match entertainment level. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:13:50 PM by D »

Offline bakyardbyks

• Forkglider
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
If anyone is heading out there, and wants to meet up to ride or something, pm me and i'll give you my number.  a few of us are heading out in a few hours, and staying till tomorrow after flat is over.  i'm sure we'll probably find a place to ride tonight.

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 01:50:47 AM »
Love the whole positive vibe here-maybe instead of thinking about all the ways flatland gets no respect or is going to fail, why not try to think of ways that could help evelate it's status? "It's too hard for the general public to understand" - I don't think that the general public understands all the idiosincrasies of figure skating or gymnastics, (I know I sure don't - I thought the US gymnastics team got beat twice in the Olympics, but they won) but they have an audience. Flatland has to find a marketable format to capture and hold the general viewers interest - the contest format of the X-Games certainly didn't do it. Not everyone loves the Battle format but maybe it can be tweaked to push the excitement factor to where it can hold the interest of the general public. IMO I think flat was held in more regard when there was an overall winner at comps and all the pro ramp guys all rode flat in the contests. Granted, riding styles and the level of riding have all changed since then, but the segmentation of the various disciplines of BMX is what put flatland in the position it's currently in.

Offline bikerbilly18

• Funky Chicken
  • Big Mac!
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 04:43:18 AM »
recorded some runs

terry adams full run at Dewtour 2012 Ocean City BMX Flatland Small | Large

Matthias Dandois semi final full run at Dewtour 2012 Ocean City Bmx Flatland Small | Large

Matt Wilhelm full run at Dewtour 2012 Ocean City BMX Flatland Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:45:42 AM by bikerbilly18 »

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
I AM GOING TO SIT BACK AND WAIT TO MAKE JUDGEMENT!

4 riders is a jam circle and demo pretty much and hopefully
they will add to this flatland event for San Francisco to 8 riders
which is half of what a real flatland competition would be!!

TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN SAN FRANCISCO AND PETE B.
BETTER BE INVITED AS THAT IS WHERE HE RIDES AT
DAILY.

ALL I GOT TO SAY IS FLATLAND BETTER BE IN SAN FRANCISCO
CITY CHAMPIONSHIP STOP OF THE DEW TOUR OR WHAT HAPPENED
IN MARYLAND WAS JUST A PLOY BY THE DEW TOUR PEOPLE. IT DID
SEEMED TO GO OFF OKAY AND  HOPEFULLY A LOT MORE RIDERS WILL
BE INVITED...LIKE MAYBE 8 THIS NEXT TIME AND THEN 12 AT THE FINAL
AND THEN GO ON FROM THERE TO 16-18 PROS IN NEXT YEAR DEW TOUR
AND MAKE FLATLAND PERMANENT PART OF THE DEW TOUR!

I am not holding my breathe on this and if this continues to build,then this
will be  a major step back up,since Flatland was part of the X_GAMES and
then was dropped!

Kchez..I was not being negative but just stating reality and how people look
at us and the disrespect we get and no national series with amateurs,pros
and veterans,no flatland coverage in the magazines of much or at all and
yeah what do you call that..for the country flatland started at and was first
seen!

DISRESPECT AND MORE!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:06:09 AM by rideflat43 »