Author Topic: Problems with the freecoaster  (Read 2022 times)

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
Problems with the freecoaster
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
Hey,

just wanted to ask what could be the cause for the following problem and how to solve it?

My freecoaster (Federal V2) was working really great for 1.5 years at least and before few weeks suddenly it messed up - it has a huge gap before you can pedal or should I say it just can't catch the driver, you can pedal for 1/2 circle or sometimes even 5 before it even starts to pedal..

I've taken it apart few times, cleaned it, checked it, regulated the chain, sprocket, everything is okay and as it was before when it was working.. It catches more easily when you sit when pedalling or when you try to apply the pressure on the pedal slowly. Sometimes it can just slip in free motion during pedalling, but usualy it just happens when you stop pedalling and just roll.

Did anyone had any similar experience?

Thanks.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Problems with the freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
yeah i have the same problem sometimes,with the new version.
i think there is a problem with the clutch as you said and maybe from too much time,the threads have problem and might need new one..

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »
Hi,
could it be that the spring which goes diametrically through the axle has lost a little bit of tension over the time? In this case it could be possible that the clutch is not held properly during the engaging procedure and therefore is not pulled to the driver side but just turns together with the driver.
I had a similar problem with another coaster years ago and could solve it by manually bending the spring so it had again more tension.
But I have never heard of this problem occurring with the modern KHE coasters. So just a guess...

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
Loosen by JUST A HAIR the spring loaded bearing nuts so as to increase friction on the clutch. One may be tighter than the other
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Bryansyodaddy

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:23:27 AM »
Sorry if I'm not good at explaining things.

I've had a bunch of problems with freecoasters.. If I'm correct they should have the same internals as the khe. Check everything while you are at it. If bearings are good. If the driver and clutch thread on to each other nice and smooth. If the ball springs apply tension to the clutch(meaning the clutch sits over the balls and you can feel resistance.  Don't put grease on the top part of the clutch where it's all rough with lines (outside not inside) if it's worn down or greased it could cause it to not catch or skip all together(you might feel it all mushy). One problem I had was that the axle wasn't placed in correctly(sorry if it's hard to understand.. the axle has 2 thread sides and the middle is unthreaded(obviously), if you  somewhat assemble the hub (the entire non drive side) and if you put the driver in and you can see the middle(non threaded part) sticking out by like just a bit(meaning when you put the half roundish/ other half flat washer it should be placed on the threaded part not on the inside if you know what I mean.. it'll cause it to skip and just have lots of problems... just assemble it correctly to fix that issue.)
Suddenly, another wild chess game appeared.

♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟

♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

Offline ondo

• GF Inhabitant
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »
Thanks guys for the advices, will try some repair again!