Author Topic: Advice needed: Building a plywood spot indoors  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Flatworm

Advice needed: Building a plywood spot indoors
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
Any advice for building a plywood spot indoors, on an uneven concrete surface? Resurfacing the concrete is not an option for me...

How to build the base/supports? best material?

Thanks!

Offline AlarmedBread

• Hitchhiker
Re: Advice needed: Building a plywood spot indoors
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
Wood would be the cheapest, just build it like a normal ramp flat bottom there are plenty of instructions on the net if you don't know how. Use wood shims to level it across the uneven floor. Make sure to use good screws meant for decks and NOT drywall or similar screws which are very brittle. Square drive is good because they are easy to take back out and less likely to strip when you replace the top surface.

http://discussion.socalskateparks.com/photopost//data//500/medium/JB_flat_1.jpg

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:05 AM »
^good advice!    I have done this before with great success over the past winters.  With what the OP is decribing is very simular to the same surface I had to deal with.   Can I make a suggestion though on the shims though?  I have found that the plastic composit break away shims worked better the 2nd winter better than the wooden ones did the first winter.

Offline Flatworm

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:20 AM »
Thanks! Any suggestions on grade/thickness  of plywood?  Price varies a lot depending on 'quality'...

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
3/4" thick plywood, tounge and groove was the most reliable yet cost effective way for me to do my garage.   I have a almost 2 car garage , and did it for around $150-$160 with everything. =).

Offline Flatlandfuel

• Company
    • flatlandfuel
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
Stephan Cerra and I were just talking about this last week. Hopefully he will come here and give some advice. He has a great plywood riding spot and has it all figured out. I may need to build one at flatlandfuel's new location because our floor slopes ever so slightly to a floor drain from everywhere in the building.

Offline Flatworm

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »
3/4" thick plywood, tounge and groove was the most reliable yet cost effective way for me to do my garage.   I have a almost 2 car garage , and did it for around $150-$160 with everything. =).
That's awesome!  Thanks!