Author Topic: Do people still ride 19" frames?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline jessecaps

Do people still ride 19" frames?
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
I just started riding again, 19" feel sooo small.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: Do people still ride 19" frames?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
Hey Jessee...they sure do!  If you remember, when you came to Austin Texas I let you borrow my bike(I had just had knee surgery) to ride.  At that point, you weren't really riding and didn't have a bike...but you sure did bust out on it!  I was astonished that someone that "doesn't ride" could hop on someone's bike and do so Pedal Fives, and some other really good moves.  But yeah, that frame was an 18.9(old Hoffman Strowler), and you made it look easy! 

There's plenty of frames out there in bigger sizes though.  Lot's more choices it seems these days.  Good to hear you're back riding. :beer:
"A puppet no more!"

Offline jessecaps

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »
It's tough to go from commuting on a 26" road bike to riding flatland, I've been out of the scene for so long though I thought maybe people started moving away from this.

Actually, after about 6-7 years the sport doesn't seem to have changed all that much. I kind of like that.
Tod, the was the last flat session I had, almost exactly 3 years ago?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
Yeah man...June of 09. 

Some of it has changed...you'll notice more straight tube frames...and some people are actually riding 20+ inch frames.  You'll also notice a more "street" influence...especially from the likes of Matthias Dandois.  More bunnyhop type moves.  I think his influence has got people trying bigger bikes. 

I commuted on a 26 for a long time until I started riding flatland again...and you're right, man it was kind of hard to get used to the little bike.  They still feel like toys to me.

What is your flatland set up at the moment?  Handlebars are getting bigger again, which is a plus for me. It helps the bike feel not so much like a tiny toy.  But I still ride a tiny frame. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
I don't find it feels that odd going from a big bike to a little one. I have a racing bike I use to commute and for fitness. I was riding an 18.75" flat bike (19.5 now). They feel like completely different machines so I think my body just accepts the change. I'm sure yours will do the same in time.
Xbox live GT. Mr Brownground

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
I myself have a 19.25" & a 19".. Currently building the 19" as my main bike & keeping the 19.25" as a spare/special build bike. I like it, im 6 foot tall & sometimes i will admit it feels abit cramped. When i 1st started riding flat (im only 25) but bikes where under 19" T.T, bendy/curved tubes, bars where HUGE if they where 8" at most! I cannot remember anyone having 2 piece bars unless they where street bars either. I guess thats why my bike will the look the way it does when its finished. Not old school, not mid school.. Just me.

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
i have a 19.25" for my flat/street machine, a 19" for my flat only rig and a 18.9" which may as well be a 19" as a flat only bike too.