Author Topic: older guys  (Read 7490 times)

Offline cbentley

Re: older guys
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 06:58:26 AM »
yes, but it feels so good to be back, that you care less about how good you are, no ? thats how i feel too.
just like you i took a 5 year break and started to ride again 1 and a half year ago. it took me almost  year just to feel at ease on my bike again, but after a while it gets easier.

just like you i try not to push myself too hard, i know im not as strong as when i was 20 so....

Agree completely! Feels great to be riding again. My main problem is that my accident left me with complications  and pain in my left knee along with the discovery of soft cartilage in both knees. After that I felt like my body was so fragile and struggled to do any kind of activity involving impact and even had trouble climbing stairs. After several frustrating years I did find solutions to my knee problems and my first thought was to build up a BMX bike and start riding. Despite a few bumps, bruises, and cuts I feel so much better being able to enjoy being on a bike again and can tell it's doing me a world of good both physically and mentally. It's also nice to hear that it gets a bit easier after a while because some days I feel sooo shaky.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
I'll be 36 at the end of the summer. I ride WAY less than I used to even in my early 30's, and to me that's fine.  I've had some tricks that have been lost but I still feel like I could get mostly everything back if I started putting more time in to ride.  I just try to stay limber and in good shape.

It's funny - I used to go crazy if I didn't ride nearly everyday, and these days with life being how it is it's easy to let months go by between sessions.  Time just goes by so fast - "oh yeah I rode just the other day.....no wait that was last October....."

I'm a big fan of stretching, p90x for weightlifting, and running, all of which helps.  I try to remind myself not to take it slow if I haven't ridden in 3 or more months and I've only been riding for ten minutes, and I want to bust out something relatively hard - I have to adjust expectations when I don't ride a lot.  With age and injuries brings the knowledge that there's more bike days behind me than in front, so every time I'm on the bike I try to enjoy it as much as I can.  This won't last forever and I'm happy to have been able to be involved.         

Riding used to be pretty much all I was interested in, but after 20 or so years I didn't want bike riding to be the defining characteristic of my life.  I don't have any drive at all to try to be on a pro level any more.  I just got to the point where I didn't want to spend ALL of my free time trespassing in a dank parking garage in the middle of the night somewhere, or trying to explain to an irate property owner what I was doing there.  I think that's normal, and honestly something would be wrong if I was still trying to get a big break in (sort of) pro athletics at 36.  It was time to move on.

That being said, if it doesn't rain I'll probably go riding tonight.  :)     

Offline Gary1

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:25 PM »
I've just turned 45 had a brain op 2 years ago,since then ive been running and going the gym 3-4 times aweek.Just had a 2nd brain op 11 weeks ago and now got 6 weeks of radiotheraphy to go through.Just about ready to run and ride now.But before the op 11weeks ago i felt stronger and fitter than i have ever been,and able to push my body further.Be careful of overstretching cold muscles it can cause a lot of damage.I also never touch energy drinks,to much crap in them,water does me fine.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:45 AM »
gary, i hope your 2nd Op and radiotherpay  will solve the problem. you're right about stretching slowly, i already tore some muscles stretching too much years ago !

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
I would like to ask about what people consider the best stretching method....I've heard it from several different doctors after pulling my hamstring 2xs last year as to stretch before, or 10-15 mins after starting into your activity.      Is this just a perspective of how some doctors feel?(Similar to how some doctors feel towards western medicine practices I guess) but just curious as to being 35 now , what is normal stretching practices for riders in our age group?                               

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03:57 AM »
yes i heard that too, it is a recent approach to stretching. They say that if you stretch your muscles while they're cold, your muscle will somehow switch to protective mode and make your muscles even tighter...well anyway, this si not what i am doing because i only have an hour at lunch break, so i don't have 15 minutes to spend on warming up. i just ride mellow the first 15 minutes, and stretch before everything, but not aggressive stretching, very progressive.

And every now and then while i am riding, if i feel some part a bit tight, i stretch for a minute, and ride again. the key thing i think is to always listen to your body signals.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
I feel like I'm going through a mid-life crisis and want to ride more than ever.  It hurts.  It really hurts.  But I ride about 4 or 5 days a week, and I progress.  I still need a full knee replacement, but that will have to wait.  I don't stretch because I feel like my tight muscles are the only thing holding stuff together at this point.  The PT recommended strengthening the muscles around my knee to hold everything together...but if I weight train, that only takes away the time to ride and my energy level.  A pot of coffee and years of pain management(just ignore it) gets me through the sessions. 

I don't recommend this...because I'm an idiot. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
Oh, and I don't drink...so all that money I used to spend on booze I spend on professional massages.  Get ya some!  It helps!
"A puppet no more!"

Phatman

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
Damn guys! Whats the secret to riding at your age? Im 25 in october & id love to be riding in my 40s! Mind you one failed shoulder operation & nerve damage in my arm im just happy to be able to have a cruise around!

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:58 AM »
well you can, Topsey. I also have a bad nerve in my left arm. What i had to do is 'ride around' this problem, wich means i had to focus on tricks that put less pressure on the left arm. I totally quit doing tricks holding the seat because i found out that it really hurt me more than doing tricks keeping both my hands on the bar. and i picked a bar with 13 degrees backsweep, helps too. We don't live in a perfect world so you have to found your own way around, and i'm sure you'll be riding at 40 Topsey ;)

Offline riderx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »
i'll be 41 this year.been a rough go since last oct.Tore my achelles oct 12 had surgery,march get to go back to work.Five weeks later tear my bicep tendon.Surgery april 12th, in therapy again.hoping to be able to ride again by september or october.cant remember last time i havent ridin for that long.all in all getting old is a b****!!!!!!good luck stay healthy to all u other older dudes still riding

Phatman

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
well you can, Topsey. I also have a bad nerve in my left arm. What i had to do is 'ride around' this problem, wich means i had to focus on tricks that put less pressure on the left arm. I totally quit doing tricks holding the seat because i found out that it really hurt me more than doing tricks keeping both my hands on the bar. and i picked a bar with 13 degrees backsweep, helps too. We don't live in a perfect world so you have to found your own way around, and i'm sure you'll be riding at 40 Topsey ;)

Sounds like a plan :D   :beer:

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Im 39. I ride about 4 to 5 days a week 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on the heat and weather. I started back riding hard in March. I didn't ride much the past 3 years 09,10,11.  Wanted to focus on family and motivation was lacking a bit as well.

I think Aaron Frost hit it just right. Motivation is a big factor. Do what you can to stay motivated and set goals. I don't like to go hang out and talk about riding with people. I like to have a productive sesh and get back home. Using my time very wise is important.

As of now I have some goals for riding and they are really motivating me to progress. So im hitting it kinda hard right now. I will never be the, lets hang out and BS about old days and bike parts guy. I wanna ride and progress or not ride at all.

I also found that riding first thing in the morning has helped me a lot. Alex Jumalin told me to do it and ever since I have it has really worked well. After im done I have my entire day to spend with family and hang out.

Set riding goals , stretch a lot! , go to jams and attend contest either to ride in them or to watch and support!
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline shred-squad

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »
I'll be 41 this year and the whole aging thing sucks. After every session I'm usually sore and have to take a few to recover. I have to be very careful cous I have to work to support 4 kids. But I'm pretty much a sole rider. I might do some comps but just for kicks. It seems the older I get the harder it gets to get on the bike. I plane on riding for as long as my beat up body let me. 

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:23 AM »
Lots of vicodin mostly.
"You can ride brakeless with brakes." -- Scott O