Author Topic: older guys  (Read 7489 times)

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
older guys
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
i am turning 40 this august, and i was curious how the other older guys like me dealt with the ageing process and all that comes along : fatigue, recoveries from previous riding sessions, injuries, full time job and family life...

i ride everyday between one or two hours, so around 10-12 hours a week, but i feel this is my maximum, i couldn't go further on a regular basis. now i really need to stretch every muscle of my body before and after, wich i wasn't doing when i was 20, never. i ride at this skatepark and i never ever see any young guys stretch, they just arrive at the park and ride straight !!

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
Re: older guys
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
I'll be 40 in a few days, and I get about 10 hours of riding per week.  I don't seem to have much problems with fatigue, injuries, etc. I guess I'm lucky since my boss lets me ride (he skates) during our breaks at work.  My wife lets me go out every Friday night to ride with my crew as long as I put the kids to sleep before I go out.

I really didn't stretch much until I started riding with Moto Sasaki & Takahiro Ikeda recently (will be riding with them again on 29 Jul).  Although they're young, they stretch for about 10 mins before they start riding so I figured I should do the same lol
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
same with me, i get to ride every day between lunch breaks...;) my wife lets me ride as long as i want so it's cool too. the only thing is just that i get physically tired.

will you eb going to the worlds?

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
You got a great wife, I can ride on Sundays too if I take my son with me to the skateparks :)  That's how I met Moto and Takahiro, I took my son to a BMX clinic/school and they were the mentors.
I wish I could go to the Red Bull CoB but it's a little far from where I live.  As for my riding, I'm no where near world class hehe  Just an old dude trying to learn new school tricks I didn't even dream of doing when I was young  ;D

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
i did that too, bring my daughter to the saktepark to look after her while riding, but it doesn't work so well because she keeps on talking to me all the time, and the rest of the time i have to make sure she is safe. i love taking care of my daughter but it's not very copatible with riding with concentration ;)

i didn' tknow you were living in japan, i went there two years ago in Tokyo, what a crazy place for shopping ! and for other things too, i loved it. good times

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
lol, I totally agree with looking after you children in the skatepark :)  The good thing about Japan is that we have a few female riders that love taking care of children while we ride so my kid tags along with the girls most of the time.  I just bought my son a Motel Works 16inch flatland bike with a gyro, freecoaster, etc. so he's starting to learn some basic tricks.

Yes, this place is crazy but we seem to have a nice flatland scene here.  If you ever visit this place again, bring your bike so we can ride lol

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
i'm so jealous of the scene you ahve other there, so many riders , ridign different ways, as i often say japanese riders seem to be a lot more open minded about flatland, doesn't feel like they make such a big deal of trends oldschool vs newschool, brakes or without, they seem to be al riding together with super good vibes no matter what style of riding you're into.

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
Yes, that's the scene I ride in :)  We're made up of different styles and of different riding eras (ages 19 to 45) but we're one big crew that ride together every Friday nights.  Our riding spot started with just the 3 of us, now we average around 15 and on good nights we have around 30.  We even have pro riders that show up every so often and have jam sessions with us.
Any ways, back on the subject.  Do you drink any energy drinks?  It seems to help me beat the fatigue and keeps me awake at night (we ride from 9PM to around 2AM).

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
not a big fan of energy drinks, i mean the most popular ones who sponsorise the big events, you know them...i have very close people who used to drinks lots of these, one of them died of a heart attack very recently, my brother.

I'm not saying it is pure poison, but you need to be very careful as it helps you going further than your body would normally allow you to.
if you have a very very active life, if you drink, smoke, etc...then i would recommand reconsidering drinking this on top of all.

But there are other drinks that only have minerals and "safer" stuff in it, i could go with theses ones.

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 02:28:30 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss, maybe I should reconsider those drinks.......  I drink at least 1 a day  ???

Offline Sequencebmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:50 PM »
Well I turned 38 this year and the only thing I have lost is motivation which I would like to think is my own fault. I feel like I have the drive at times and I am certainly not counting myself out. As far as the 1 to 2 hours a day.....the year I qualified for the X Games I was married with children and I rode 2 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. All I can gather from that is that you have actually push yourself the whole time. IE. don't stand around bullsh*tting with friends or day dreaming about other stuff. Set goals and follow through with them. Hope this helps and take care - Aaron

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
Is it that time of year to update the post:

Who is the oldest flatlander?

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
thanks aaron, i am always focused when i ride, concentrated, but at the same time i don't like to push too much pressure on myself when riding, it just ruins the pleasure for me, but that's personal. i just like to ride naturally and see what comes out of it, and sometimes when not much comes out, not a big issue anyway, i'm no professional, my life does not depend on riding  so....just ride and see how it goes, that's what i do.

And sic i don't think one a day is that bad....it's not deadly either, i think too much of too many things at the same time is what went wrong with my brother, his life was just too busy...

thanks all !

Offline cbentley

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 03:13:20 AM »
Next week I'll have my 43rd birthday and I'm back riding after a 5 year break and a bad leg injury. I tend not to push myself too hard and try to stay well within my comfort zone with a goal of having fun and getting exercise. I pay close attention to fatigue and pain as I work through conditioning myself to ride again. If I'm tired, I rest. If it hurts, I stop. Since I ride park as well, I always wear my helmet and will throw on the pads if I'm feeling like pushing things a bit. At my age and with the long break I took from flatland I have to make myself realize that I need to focus on being the rider I am now and not the rider I once was. If I progress it'll be great but if I simply manage to re-learn and dial in some of my old tricks I'll be just as happy. For me it's all about having fun again. Just another old guys perspective...

Just for laughs... the first thing I did to get started riding again was hit up a local skatepark. I was excited, confident, and ready to go. Rolled into the bowl and fell right to flat bottom! Nothing like a good slam to start things off right.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »
Next week I'll have my 43rd birthday and I'm back riding after a 5 year break and a bad leg injury. I tend not to push myself too hard and try to stay well within my comfort zone with a goal of having fun and getting exercise. I pay close attention to fatigue and pain as I work through conditioning myself to ride again. If I'm tired, I rest. If it hurts, I stop. Since I ride park as well, I always wear my helmet and will throw on the pads if I'm feeling like pushing things a bit. At my age and with the long break I took from flatland I have to make myself realize that I need to focus on being the rider I am now and not the rider I once was. If I progress it'll be great but if I simply manage to re-learn and dial in some of my old tricks I'll be just as happy. For me it's all about having fun again. Just another old guys perspective...

Just for laughs... the first thing I did to get started riding again was hit up a local skatepark. I was excited, confident, and ready to go. Rolled into the bowl and fell right to flat bottom! Nothing like a good slam to start things off right.

yes, but it feels so good to be back, that you care less about how good you are, no ? thats how i feel too.
just like you i took a 5 year break and started to ride again 1 and a half year ago. it took me almost  year just to feel at ease on my bike again, but after a while it gets easier.

just like you i try not to push myself too hard, i know im not as strong as when i was 20 so....