Author Topic: Dual brakes on one lever....  (Read 14044 times)

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
Dual brakes on one lever....
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:20:52 AM »
Yes I did google it and search on here.

When I get a bike I'm thinking of running one brake lever but that controls the front  AND rear.

I found some pics while googling but do you think it would work with the Snafu Astroglide Upper Gyro Cable? or the M3 upper cable somehow?

I was thinking of using the london mod way that way it can be hooked to the wonderful tech77 lever.

So would it work?

And the reason for this is I want to play around with tech ramp tricks aswell as flat when I get a bike and I like the idea of just having one lever for both wheels to stop.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:33:50 AM by Bri-jon »
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Dual brakes on one lever....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
I've seen a mod that you can use your front and back brakes at the same time.  They used a Primo Pervert to do this. 

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
I would have agree primo pervert would be the way to go

I have a few knocking around if your in need of one (I don't know how hard they are to find)

There is also a very innovative new company that comes out of the Czech republic 34r free for ride that have a range of lever called the "clito" and it is a very nice looking lever that takes two individual cables straight from the rear of the lever
This would look nice and clean and be much easier to set up I use their gyro,bb, headset and seat clamp

Matt
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:01:52 AM by melon lover »

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
the (hehehe) clito does look nice but I'm not to sure about the design.

Looks like I would have to cut an end off the upper gyro cable and put the cut cable in first as there is no slots on the lever, meaning you have to guide the cable cut end through first till you can get the ball at the end to sit in its place.

And if I do that I would have to use knarps on the cut end for the gyro and I think the knaps whould be to big for clearance on a gyro. But I have never used them so they may work. hmmm

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:14:11 PM »
I was thinking of using the london mod way that way it can be hooked to the wonderful tech77 lever.

That stuff already exists, direct from DiaCompe, but good luck finding one at a decent price because polo bikers (with fixie bikes) love them and bikeshops sell that sh*t around 45 euro  ??? ::)

So would it work?

And the reason for this is I want to play around with tech ramp tricks aswell as flat when I get a bike and I like the idea of just having one lever for both wheels to stop.

And just a though, maybe I could be wrong : I don't see a braking system moving TWO brakes at the same time (and all the cables) having a good and sturdy braking force allowing you to make tricks safely, and good luck to adjust correctly and keep the 2 brakes correctly adjusted... Having bearings on the 2 brakes could help, but I suppose it won't be reliable enough for bmx freestyle tricks usings U-brakes..

please inform on how it works whatever method you try

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:03:39 PM »
I considered trying this years ago when double fronts were more popular and I didn't want to ditch the back brakes so I could still do all my decade tricks.  I eventually decided not to do it because what Revig was talking about above.  I would think you COULD get it to work, but it might require a lot of maintenance and be kinda contraptiony.  Brett Downs might know how to do this mod, I think that he and the K had some unusual setups in years past.  I would be interested to see how it would work in practice.   

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:14:51 PM »
The cleanest solution would be something like this:  A custom fitted triple cable stop at the lever which would fit custom cable similar to the old modulever cables, but with three into one cable instead of 2 into one, like a regular modulever gyro cable.  Two of the cables would end in standard gyro cable stops/lengths and would run to the upper gyro plate.  The other cable would be a long cable suitable for connecting the front brakes.  That way every time you pulled the lever all three cables would move, activating both brakes at the same time.  You'd have to spend some time getting equal tension on everything so both brakes would pull evenly.  Also, the spring pressure would be double that of a normal brake, so the lever would be harder to pull I would think, so you'd run the risk of brakes either really hard to pull or brakes that are mushy and don't snap back very well. 

I think someone could fabricate a part for the cable stop pretty easily (especially if you were using the old, bigger modulevers with the huge barrel adjuster - the newer Odyssey levers might not have enough real estate in the barrel adjusters for 3 cables. The cables might be harder to get fabricated but I'm sure it's possible.)  You could probably rig something with a regular lever too. 

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:27:32 AM »
The cleanest solution would be something like this:  A custom fitted triple cable stop at the lever which would fit custom cable similar to the old modulever cables, but with three into one cable instead of 2 into one, like a regular modulever gyro cable.  Two of the cables would end in standard gyro cable stops/lengths and would run to the upper gyro plate.  The other cable would be a long cable suitable for connecting the front brakes.  That way every time you pulled the lever all three cables would move, activating both brakes at the same time.  You'd have to spend some time getting equal tension on everything so both brakes would pull evenly.  Also, the spring pressure would be double that of a normal brake, so the lever would be harder to pull I would think, so you'd run the risk of brakes either really hard to pull or brakes that are mushy and don't snap back very well. 

I think someone could fabricate a part for the cable stop pretty easily (especially if you were using the old, bigger modulevers with the huge barrel adjuster - the newer Odyssey levers might not have enough real estate in the barrel adjusters for 3 cables. The cables might be harder to get fabricated but I'm sure it's possible.)  You could probably rig something with a regular lever too.

I like your thinking D. I will do some ghetto drawings in my note book and add it to a list of customs I want made :D when I get a job :D

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:52:21 AM »
This reminds me of the Scorpion Breakdancer that had 2 rear brakes connected to 1 lever.

Offline Gary1

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »
I had a Breakdancer and ran 3 brakes and 3 levers,extra brake on the bottom was a weinmann centre pull off a road bike.Had a rear operating brake lever right and left on the bars O0

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
Hi,
as far as I remember James White used a setup with two levers both pulling front and rear brake long time ago. I couldn't find a picture so made a rough drawing. I hope the idea gets clear.
You need a custom made calbe stop which should be some cm above the stem. This can be a u-shaped piece of aluminium plate or something similar, maybe something attached to the handlebar like one of the users here did (sorry, I forgot his name).
Then you can modify the bolt of a cable hanger to clamp two inner cables (if you want only one lever it is even easier). You don't need an upper Gryo plate.
The only thing I don't remember is where the outer brake cable for the front brake begins. Somewhere in the steerer tube maybe...
With this modification you can use any normal brake lever.
I hope this was helpful.

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:15 AM »
This is what I'm looking for

thanks for your help!

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
  • im on iron mans back! ,-
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »
Hey, remember seeing this on malo's bike check would this be any help?

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/cable_doubler/
''let me tell ya something i did a front n rear wheel hang on the cloping on the slide of the spine, now i stick to street!''

''do you freestyle?''

However serious you take it general public sees us as just dicking about on 'kids' bikes, some people could do to remember that and smile a little.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
the tech. drawing that daddycool posted won't work. the rear will, but what about the cable housing for the front brake after the cable hanger? think about it... 

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
K. Wong,
you are right, that what I tried to explain. One would definitely need a stop for the cable housing coming from the front brake to the steerer tube. If one could manage this, it would work. I am not sure how this was done, but I am sure that this system was used. I think it was shown in the Ride magazine, it must have been around 1995. Maybe one could ask James White himself.