Author Topic: What is happening with QUAMEN  (Read 12996 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: What is happening with QUAMEN
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Don't put paper thin dropouts on your frames. Don't use sh*tty metal. Don't cut corners. I don't see why anyone should want anything different because if you do then you aren't even looking at the function of the part or the bike.

thats the problem right there.  most if not all riders want this, but you can NOT achieve this if you want a sub 4lb frame. 
once people start choosing "function" over "weight" frames should last longer.

i don't care for a lot of  "multiple bend" frames either, i just like a single bend tube on the downtube like an older ares or the strowler (foot/leg clearance is a bit better for my old arse).  i hated the wells/khe equilibrium styles.  i wish more frames would use the simple/intrakat style front gusset (nicer clearance too)

I have size 13 feet and I do not need the bend there at all. I can't fathom why anyone else would either. It just weakens the frame.

byke

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Don't put paper thin dropouts on your frames. Don't use sh*tty metal. Don't cut corners. I don't see why anyone should want anything different because if you do then you aren't even looking at the function of the part or the bike.

thats the problem right there.  most if not all riders want this, but you can NOT achieve this if you want a sub 4lb frame. 
once people start choosing "function" over "weight" frames should last longer.

i don't care for a lot of  "multiple bend" frames either, i just like a single bend tube on the downtube like an older ares or the strowler (foot/leg clearance is a bit better for my old arse).  i hated the wells/khe equilibrium styles.  i wish more frames would use the simple/intrakat style front gusset (nicer clearance too)

I have size 13 feet and I do not need the bend there at all. I can't fathom why anyone else would either. It just weakens the frame.

Actually that's not strictly speaking 100% true.
A bend can be used an alternative of increasing material in an area without additional material changes from welding.

For instance, many MTB frames have a curved downtube and bridges have used arches for hundreds of years.
2pc bars are another example of bends working with design to benefit a reduction in welding.

However I would agree that the standard of input and design in BMX frames makes it generally harder to achieve similar results to that of straight tubed frames.

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
st martin diamonds, mankind codes, jungle riders and cyphrs do not have a bend and i've seen every one of them broken already.  I don't think the bend is nearly the issue and much as thin tubing is.  combine that with a poor design like elevating the downtube above the bb (quamen delta/cyphr/g7, suelo simple, mankind code) and it's going to fail, with or without a bent tube.
  i use to do ankledeaths "b.i.t.d".  Or if I were to attempt halfhikers ( I'm not there, but just questioning it) are you saying I wouldn't have a touch more room if i tried one on a frame like the flatware or strowler?    that's the type of "clearance" i was speaking of. 
I do see how a bent downtube could be weaker on street or ramp (friemuth style 4ft airs to land in nosepick) but I just don't see it on a straight flat machine.
I guess it's all just preference when all is said and done.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:45:38 PM by JOHNU773 »

Offline Bri-jon

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 03:11:06 AM »
When I can afford a bike setup again I'm getting a street frame as they last longer for me (and I need the tt length) But I'm designing a frame now that I hope will last me until I cant walk, that is my goal. At the moment I'm planing it on being around 6lbs and it will be a simple double diamond shape. But this will be finished in 2013 when I'm aloud to work and have money again  :)

Over the years of riding and killing parts I've learned I personally need a heavy strong frame and 48h hubs so that way I dont have to buy new rims and spokes every year.

Everyone is different but if you really dont like how the frames are turning out... look at london bikes or Pir they will build you something... yes it will be pricey but its what YOU want and you will get it
"sh*t + talkers = stalkers lol"

Sold my bike to emigrate to Canada and still waiting for a Visa to work. Worst mistake EVER!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 04:15:12 AM »
I just wish companies would give full specs on frames and parts.  OD and gauge of tubing, material and grade of tubing, thickness of dropouts, etc.   
"A puppet no more!"

Phatman

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Edit: See my next post :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:58:47 PM by Topsey »

Phatman

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2012, 10:57:35 PM »
Sorry i didnt really think that reply out. They do NOT make the frames & bars. I do believe they make the stems & sprockets. Ignore my previous post.