Author Topic: "Decade Machine" on Dorkin In York  (Read 4775 times)

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
"Decade Machine" on Dorkin In York
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
I could have sworn that on one of the Dorkin vids, they showed a Decade Machine... Basically a bike that was somehow built to be stationary, (presumably) stable, and to have its front wheel always suspended in the air, so that you could learn the jumping part of the decade without worrying so much about what the bike was doing underneath you.  Does anyone else remember seeing this?  It had a sign that said "75 cents per decade" or something like that.

And on another note: does anyone have any pointers on how to build one?  Might be a cool project to put together.
Check out BmxFlatland.Net, created to help beginning BMX flatland riders to learn about, participate in, and enjoy the art/sport of flatland.

Offline Henrik

• Hitchhiker
    • Fi-bmx
Re: "Decade Machine" on Dorkin In York
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
I recall seeing a picture of it in one old issue of Ride BMX. Always thought it was a pretty good idea :) (Especially since I think it was around the time I badly sprained my ankle while learning decades...)

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:08:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  Apparently it had a bash guard as well, haha. 

Check out BmxFlatland.Net, created to help beginning BMX flatland riders to learn about, participate in, and enjoy the art/sport of flatland.

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:37 PM »
The decade machine is found on the "York Jam" footy on disc two I think.
I'll also add that in my opinion, while this may not be difficult to build, or take too much time, that time and effort would be better spent learning to do a decade on your regular bike. Not hating, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:55:58 PM by DLK »

Offline djmikec

• Backpacker
    • BMXFlatland.Net
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
I'm sure you're right.  I just remember seeing it somewhere and thinking it was cool.

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
I'll also add that in my opinion, while this may not be difficult to build, or take too much time, that time and effort would be better spent learning to do a decade on your regular bike. Not hating, just my opinion.

I always thought the point of the decade machine was to make you laugh.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
If you put the Decade machine on top of a skateboard and roll it, could I learn Rolaids? :P
"A puppet no more!"

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »

I always thought the point of the decade machine was to make you laugh.

Considering the sign I agree. No doubt you were there Brett, so I'd say you'd know better than anyone. I was having a less than savory day at work with my initial response.