Author Topic: S&M Intrikat Signature Frame 20.5", 20", 19.5" and 19"  (Read 144457 times)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: S&M Intrikat Signature Frame 20.5", 20", 19.5" and 19"
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Hi,

I would really like to know if this can help here:
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=54332.msg442267#msg442267

Chad, couldn't one just make the dropouts 1 cm longer to solve all these problems?

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
So to run the rear wheel slammed at the deepest part of the dropouts so the pegs actually sit fully on the dropouts  the best ratio is 24 \9 ?

With a regular chain it gets the axle a little past the halfway point, I'll get some pics of a 24-9t set-up soon...
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Hi,

I would really like to know if this can help here:
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=54332.msg442267#msg442267

Chad, couldn't one just make the dropouts 1 cm longer to solve all these problems?

We're always working on something new around here...

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
when i had the 19tt a couple of yrs ago, i  ground the dropouts further back so i wouldnt need a tensioner and the pegs wernt hanging back off the dropouts, i had to split the chain to take the wheel off , but it was worth it, i really dont want to do that again ,so ive ordered a 24 t, fingers crossed it works

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
what sort of chain would make it nice and tight chad??

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
Here's an example of a 24-9t set-up:

In this case I used a 6.0mm Simple Slammer to get the chain perfect, not too tight or too loose. The bb and hub bearings roll easily without any issues, plus no chain slap on the frame. Sounds almost silent when riding.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:09:05 PM by cj »

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
I run a KMC SL 1/2"x1/8" chain on my builds. They're lightweight and smooth as butter.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:12:53 PM by cj »

Phatman

« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
Do any of you guys run a Half Link? You do NOT need anything like the Shadow or it's many imitators! A Chain with ONE Half Link will give you all the adjustment you need! Something like an Odyssey Bluebird (Great Chain btw) OR in the not to distant future, Odysseys Key Chain (Look it up, it's incredible!) will see you right & give you the little more adjustment you guys all seem to need!

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
Sad about this set up and others on these drop outs is the pegs are not completely on em.
Intrikat's frames would be Perfect with longer drop outs and integrated tencioners.
My opinion respectfully.
One Last Ride.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2013, 04:00:26 PM »
Do any of you guys run a Half Link? You do NOT need anything like the Shadow or it's many imitators! A Chain with ONE Half Link will give you all the adjustment you need! Something like an Odyssey Bluebird (Great Chain btw) OR in the not to distant future, Odysseys Key Chain (Look it up, it's incredible!) will see you right & give you the little more adjustment you guys all seem to need!

I don't currently run a half-link chain, but I have in the past. I prefer regular chains for the gear ratio I run, but half links may work better for others.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
Sad about this set up and others on these drop outs is the pegs are not completely on em.
Intrikat's frames would be Perfect with longer drop outs and integrated tencioners.
My opinion respectfully.

Just curious, why do you need the whole peg on the drop-out? Most modern bikes use minimal drop-outs and sometimes the pegs will go slightly past the end. The guys I ride with that run pegs never have issues with that.

Thanks for your feedback, much respect.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:10:59 PM by cj »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »
Chad, I always though it would be bad for the axles/dropouts if the peg hangs 1/2 off the back, but maybe that's just a thought held over from the days when our paper thin GT drops would bend when our Tioga Roll On pegs bent a non heat treated axle.  A lot has changed since those days.   

I'm not sure if it's something we'd need to still worry about still, but those habits die hard I guess.  I know you haven't run pegs in years but what do you think?   

I'm a bit of an anomaly these days since I'm one of the few that still runs 1.75" diameter pegs and I like to set the back end up at around 13.25-13.5, or as close as I can get it to that.  Since the pegs are so wide, they'll hang off the Intrikat drops pretty much no matter what. Right now on my bike they are nearly halfway off (I run a 30-11 with a half link at the moment - if my math is right that allows for the longest setup on the bike)  So far there hasn't been in any performance issues (I don't ride all that much anymore though) but aesthetically they look better the more flush they are, but more than anything I'd hate to shorten the life of the frame or my axles because of a janky setup, the frame is so nice it would be like putting my foot through a Picasso. 

Anyway, you know how particular us flatlanders are.  :)   

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »
My opinion respectfully.

Just curious, why do you need the whole peg on the drop-out? Most modern bikes use minimal drop-outs and sometimes the pegs will go slightly past the end. The guys I ride with that run pegs never have issues with that.

My opinion respectfully.

Well from past experience bent axles are the main reason. Im sure now there is hardly an issue w/stronger axles,still i feel its necesary just in case or to have peace of mind...one less worry on your build.
This is just a simple issue fix on Again what i consider the one of the Best frames in the market.
Many of us want the option and freedom to build and adjust our rides to our likes. Bit longer drop outs say about 5mm more i think would had resolved many of the chain adjusting issues better more giving the option to the rider to place whatever size sprocket and regular or full 1/2 link chain and be done and ride.
An example to my experience w/2 other frames in comparison to the Intrikat are,
The Waltz rear adjustment it gives. Sure it cannot be compared being the Waltz is Flat only,but i build it w/no issues.However,its lighter but very weak specally those thin drop outs compared to the Intrikat.
My other comparison is the Deco V2. A very similar design but i was able to compare to the Intrikat,the Only advantage over the Intrikat was the simple adjustent thanks to the integrated tencioners.
The Intrikat is a Solid,very lite,super stiff frame and its strong for both street and flat riding. The tubing is indeed high quality but am sure we all know this
At end,if the drop outs were a bit longer to allow for more adjustment freedom,the pegs not hang off and to be able to put or have tencioners....to My opinion the Perfect all around frame.
One Last Ride.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
Chad, I always though it would be bad for the axles/dropouts if the peg hangs 1/2 off the back, but maybe that's just a thought held over from the days when our paper thin GT drops would bend when our Tioga Roll On pegs bent a non heat treated axle.  A lot has changed since those days.   

I'm not sure if it's something we'd need to still worry about still, but those habits die hard I guess.  I know you haven't run pegs in years but what do you think?   

I'm a bit of an anomaly these days since I'm one of the few that still runs 1.75" diameter pegs and I like to set the back end up at around 13.25-13.5, or as close as I can get it to that.  Since the pegs are so wide, they'll hang off the Intrikat drops pretty much no matter what. Right now on my bike they are nearly halfway off (I run a 30-11 with a half link at the moment - if my math is right that allows for the longest setup on the bike)  So far there hasn't been in any performance issues (I don't ride all that much anymore though) but aesthetically they look better the more flush they are, but more than anything I'd hate to shorten the life of the frame or my axles because of a janky setup, the frame is so nice it would be like putting my foot through a Picasso. 

Anyway, you know how particular us flatlanders are.  :)   

Yeah, things have changed since the flimsy hi-tensile steel drop-out days, for sure. S&M uses chro-moly drop-outs, plus they're thicker than back then. I doubt they will bend...but, I do hear you regarding aesthetics, there should be a balance. Modern frame drop-outs are similar to fork drop-outs, it's not necessary to have the peg completely touching, but halfway hanging off isn't cool either.

I understand and respect how particular flatlanders are, I'm one too, it's almost a required attribute. I enjoy the challenge of progressing a frame to it's full potential plus trying to make it universally fitting for any rider, while staying within budget and offering it for a reasonable price.

I appreciate your experience and feedback, thanks D! Thanks for the kind words regarding the frame also!

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2013, 07:42:37 PM »
My opinion respectfully.

My opinion respectfully.

Well from past experience bent axles are the main reason. Im sure now there is hardly an issue w/stronger axles,still i feel its necesary just in case or to have peace of mind...one less worry on your build.
This is just a simple issue fix on Again what i consider the one of the Best frames in the market.
Many of us want the option and freedom to build and adjust our rides to our likes. Bit longer drop outs say about 5mm more i think would had resolved many of the chain adjusting issues better more giving the option to the rider to place whatever size sprocket and regular or full 1/2 link chain and be done and ride.
An example to my experience w/2 other frames in comparison to the Intrikat are,
The Waltz rear adjustment it gives. Sure it cannot be compared being the Waltz is Flat only,but i build it w/no issues.However,its lighter but very weak specally those thin drop outs compared to the Intrikat.
My other comparison is the Deco V2. A very similar design but i was able to compare to the Intrikat,the Only advantage over the Intrikat was the simple adjustent thanks to the integrated tencioners.
The Intrikat is a Solid,very lite,super stiff frame and its strong for both street and flat riding. The tubing is indeed high quality but am sure we all know this
At end,if the drop outs were a bit longer to allow for more adjustment freedom,the pegs not hang off and to be able to put or have tencioners....to My opinion the Perfect all around frame.

Yeah, axles and drop-outs are stronger nowadays, but also the tricks have changed. You rarely see anyone hopping in a Death Truck position (which is the trick most likely to bend an axle off the back of the drop-out), most riders are rolling and turbining and I think these techniques are less abusive on a bike than pogos.

The ultimate goal is to have the perfect frame and were constantly working on improving, but it's a long process with many steps that aren't publicly seen. I'll share this info with the guys at the building. Thanks again!