Author Topic: S&M Intrikat Signature Frame 20.5", 20", 19.5" and 19"  (Read 143623 times)

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
Re: S&M Intrikat Signature Frame 20.5", 20", 19.5" and 19"
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
So I just got one of these in 19 - I'll be posting a picture up soon. I love the frame, angles are awesome. I know I could get a custom and I know the stock frame will work for most. I'd recommend the frame to anyone, but here a few things I ran into that I didn't like.

1. Integrated seat - not a big fan of these, works great just don't like the way it looks. Very minor.
2. Mid BB - overkill. Spanish better and reduces a little weight. Minor.
3. The dropouts. I almost quit flatlanding last night trying to get this to work. I have a 23t sprocket and taking my half link out made the chain too short. Adding back halflink and too long to work with dropout. I had to modify my chain tensioners to work on it plus it's 14mm. I think a 3/8 dropout with cutting lines would be much better plus a longer dropout that would allow more flexibility and let us tall riders pull our back wheels further back for longer CS without having to buy custom. I also have to remove chain to take the back wheel off.

Again - love the angles, etc and it's Chad's design so it's whatever he wants, but just stating from my perspective. Thanks.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »
It depends on the size of your spindle I guess, but with a 22mm spindle Spanish BB's are way too small. They die very quickly. To feel the difference in weight you need to have a very special talent.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »
i want to say that 10 mm for the backwheel is tooooo weak.
i hate it personally,i snapped all of my nankai axles when i had nankai and the geisha had a problem cause of the aluminium axle i couldnt remove the bearings-cog.
a 14 mm hollow axle is same weight with a 10 mm and so much stronger.
you jsut put it there once and its finished,plus you can find adapters 10 to 14 mm.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »
So I just got one of these in 19 - I'll be posting a picture up soon. I love the frame, angles are awesome. I know I could get a custom and I know the stock frame will work for most. I'd recommend the frame to anyone, but here a few things I ran into that I didn't like.

1. Integrated seat - not a big fan of these, works great just don't like the way it looks. Very minor.
3. The dropouts. I almost quit flatlanding last night trying to get this to work. I have a 23t sprocket and taking my half link out made the chain too short. Adding back halflink and too long to work with dropout. I had to modify my chain tensioners to work on it plus it's 14mm. I think a 3/8 dropout with cutting lines would be much better plus a longer dropout that would allow more flexibility and let us tall riders pull our back wheels further back for longer CS without having to buy custom. I also have to remove chain to take the back wheel off.

Again - love the angles, etc and it's Chad's design so it's whatever he wants, but just stating from my perspective. Thanks.

Great insight, Bryan. Having an Intrikat myself, I can see where you're coming from.

First, the seat clamp system works better than the colony i used to have. No slipping!

Second, yeah I see what you're saying about the MidBB being slightly overkill but I suppose with a 22mm it's a great setup. I have the 19mm MidBB installed for my profiles and after some hard side impacts that broke my pedal, no other problems! I also pedal about 45 minutes a day to my spot and back and can rest assured that the bearings are well suited to the load--not to mention slogging through rain a time or 2!

Finally, the dropouts! Probably the one thing i would change on this frame. I cracked the driver cone on my Nankai shortly after getting this frame about a year ago. Maybe it was inevitable, but i can't help but wonder if the Tree Big Balsa pegs were putting an angled load on the axle since the pegs do hang off the end. And then obviously the whole chain adjustment issue could be remedied as well with a new shape....maybe if S&M had Intrikat axle washers available for the guys running 3/8's axles.

I'd personally like to see brakeless versions of the frame without the 990 threads welded on. Would provide for a cleaner look, not to mention, lower production costs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:15:18 AM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »
I couldn't get a 23 t to work, so I had to change to 25t with a half link and filed a tiny bit out of the dropouts to get the correct tension, maybe because Chad doesn't run pegs the dropouts don't have to be so big, but there a quite a lot of flatlanders that do run pegs

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
spanish bb on a s&m? wasn't s&m one of the few american companies that took issue with fly bike's spanish bb's name and royalty fees?
chad rides pegless, relies heavily on the cranks/ bb system and the frame is a  'signature' frame, so....
and what happened to the mtf custom that you won?

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »

Stoked to hear you're going to try an Intrikat, on the other hand- bummed to hear that your mechanical difficulties nearly pushed you over the edge.
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
It depends on the size of your spindle I guess, but with a 22mm spindle Spanish BB's are way too small. They die very quickly. To feel the difference in weight you need to have a very special talent.

Good point, mid bb's are tough, I've never had to replace one.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 04:16:14 PM »
i want to say that 10 mm for the backwheel is tooooo weak.
i hate it personally,i snapped all of my nankai axles when i had nankai and the geisha had a problem cause of the aluminium axle i couldnt remove the bearings-cog.
a 14 mm hollow axle is same weight with a 10 mm and so much stronger.
you jsut put it there once and its finished,plus you can find adapters 10 to 14 mm.

Yeah, adapters work very well if you don't run a 14mm axle. I've been using them with no issues at all.

Offline Timmy_d

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »
Any advice on cranks size. I just purchased a 19.5 intrikat. The old cranks I have right now are 180. Would you suggest 175 or 170. I also want to use it to ride some street.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
...maybe if S&M had Intrikat axle washers available for the guys running 3/8's axles.

Great idea Dax, I'll talk to the guys in the shop and see if that could happen.

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
I couldn't get a 23 t to work, so I had to change to 25t with a half link and filed a tiny bit out of the dropouts to get the correct tension, maybe because Chad doesn't run pegs the dropouts don't have to be so big, but there a quite a lot of flatlanders that do run pegs

What size of cog are you running again? I’ve tested 23t with an 11t and 9t and got them to fit perfect each time. These drop outs evolved from the LTF drop outs that were tested by many riders with pegs. During the initial testing of the Intrikat frames we had riders with pegs and various gearing ratios and never had any issues. This minimal style drop out does require a little more precise tuning which can be frustrating if you’re in a hurry to ride, but the design works well and is meant to accept pegs.

A few examples

23t/11t w/full link chain

23t/9t w/full link chain

23t/9t w/half link chain

25t/10t w/half link chain
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:39:50 PM by cj »

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
Any advice on cranks size. I just purchased a 19.5 intrikat. The old cranks I have right now are 180. Would you suggest 175 or 170. I also want to use it to ride some street.

Stoked you chose S&M. 180mm could work, but your heel might be too close to your rear pegs. 175mm or 170mm will also work, I guess it's personal preference. I'm really comfortable with 170mm.

Offline TRUTH1970

• Backpacker
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
im kinda worried now that i might  have problems when my frame arrives ( im on a 24t sprocket and a 12t rear cog-old taska freecoaster with big balsa pegs) just hoping i can get it to go on without too much hassle.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
Here's my bike. Man I don't know how you guys break spanish bb, I've been riding those for well over 5 years with no problems. Again the BB isn't a big deal, just like spanish better.
You look like Marty McFly!