Author Topic: Beginners support thread.  (Read 25659 times)

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
Beginners support thread.
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
We all start at the beginning. With whatever we do. With something as complex and difficult as flatland it can be a very steep learning curve.
When you are new to something it can be intimidating to share your experience online. Especially with people that are ten or fifteen years in and have perhaps forgotten what it feels like to be a beginner.

The idea for this thread is to support newcomers to flatland. At whatever stage they find themselves. Be it choosing a bike; or learning their first few tricks.
I would like to see beginners supporting beginners with what they have found helpful in flatland.
No need to feel anxious or intimidated about posting as we will all be starting from near the bottom.

Just a couple of things I have found helpful.

Music! I find that cutting out the sounds of other people and the wind etc helps me to focus more on riding.

Take regular breaks. Have a sit down and think about what you've just done.

If you feel conscious about people watching you just stop riding for a bit. They will probably go away. :)

Most of all have fun and try not to let anyone get you down. Again, we all had to start at the bottom.
Xbox live GT. Mr Brownground

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: Beginners support thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »
There are a few beginners I help in Austin.  Some of the kids on my street are starting to get into it.  I also help the local beginners at the OG in Austin.  I, having been riding for a bit, some times have to remember what is easy for me, isn't always easy for others.  I have to be patient with people.  Really, the reward is just watching someone hit that trick for the first time...even if it's deemed "easy" by seasoned riders.  The look on their face is priceless! :beer:

Cool thread. 

Ride on!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
Nice one Tod! Thanks for posting.

I know there are beginners out there who find it intimidating to post.
I encourage them to join the forum and get talking. It's always good to learn in a group, helping each other out etc. No judgment here whatever your level.

X

Offline AlarmedBread

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
If you feel self conscious about people around watching you ride, stop for a moment and consider that it would make no difference to them whether it was you riding or a bunch of pro riders having a jam session. They think the same as you would when you see someone doing yoga, tai chi, juggling or anything else you may not be into. If you're not really interested in it you just smile, think nothing of it and keep on walking. Still don't be afraid to give other people doing rad stuff a thumbs up, might just make their day.

Be friendly and chat with people if they show some interest. Around here bike or board gets you instantly kicked out of anywhere downtown, but because I was friendly talking to the security guards I've been able to ride in some nice spots at night. Plus I know those guys are keeping an eye on me if anything happens. You may be surprised to learn that security and police are real people, actual and whole. People are just people, so don't be afraid to say something as simple as 'Hi!' (especially if she's cute).  :beer:

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
This is a great point!
I had a group of fourteen year olds come and watch me on their street bikes.
I talked to them about my ten years out and how I was trying to get back into it again.
They were really nice and hung about for hours trying flatland on their bikes.

I've had scooter kids, long boarders, a parachute guy (no idea what it's called) and they all show an interest.
And because they've never likely seen much flat they think I'm good.
It's a good thing to keep in mind.

Offline Flatmen

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:25 AM »
I am quite a beginner still and the few basics move got me pretty well known for my skills on my bike doing funny tricks.

For people that never saw any flat before, a fork glide, a pogo , a bar hop or even barspins exites them!

I don't like riding in front of other when in my practice session but i go riding street on my flatland bike( I pull fork glides or what evers while my friend jump around)

Check me out? http://www.youtube.com/user/J0EJ0E11

-Falling is just a chance to get up and try again

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »
Still don't be afraid to give other people doing rad stuff a thumbs up, might just make their day.

Great point

Never thought of it that way

Offline The Injured Faith

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:20:49 AM »
Have fun

End Transmission

suze

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 01:58:52 AM »

Hey, so I just joined this site to hopefully learn what flatland is all about. If you asked me what flatland was two weeks ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. I saw some amazing videos and became fascinated with it.. so I ended up getting my very first bike which came a few days ago.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've read a lot about how I should start off with the basics that are relevant to all of bmx: wheelie, bunny hop, etc. but is there anything I can do to improve my balance to better prepare for even just those?
Best way to become familiar with the bike, basic maintenance required, etc.
The last time I rode a bike was over ten years ago so I guess you could say I'm a step below the bottom haha.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »
Hey Suze. Great to have you on the forum.
Flatland is a wonderful thing and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

To start with; all you need to be doing is riding your bike. Take it somewhere flat and just ride it round and round. Ride it to work, to the shops, everywhere.
Your body will then get used to the size and shape and you will feel more comfortable on it.

If you have a front break I would start with track stands. They are a great way to learn basic balence.
Manuals are actually moderately advanced and I would recomend trying a lot of other tricks first.

Mat willhelm has a great DVD called 'ground rules'
It takes you through loads of tricks in a logical order. Try and get hold of a copy.

As for looking after your bike; bmx bikes are pretty simple compared to mountain bikes.
Make sure all your bolts stay tight. Keep an eye on your chain, make sure your back wheel doesn't slip forward. And keep your tyres at about 100psi (lower if you are very light, more if you are heavy)

Post a bike check! Enjoy the forums; and never be afraid to ask for advice.

Have fun.

Offline VW-Old-SkooL

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
Hey guys! I'm new here, learned about this forum through one of my wife's friends in Texas. I'm 37 yrs old and just got back into riding. It's probably been twenty years since I last rode a BMX ! I just bought a new bike and already getting back into it. I'll be posting and asking questions around here as I get more familiar with the forums.

Here's a pic of me from last Sunday on the new bike:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:46:26 PM by VW-Old-SkooL »

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
very stoked, best of luck- and welcome back!

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
Just like to add something. Just to keep certain people happy.

No advise is ever going to be correct. Everyone is going to have a different way of doing things.
This is what forums are for: to share our own opinions. To share what we have personally found helpful.
There is no right or wrong advice. Each and every one of us will find our own way of doing things in the end; but as beginners it's good to get some advice from different people to use as starting points.

So share what works for you. This thread is supposed to be welcoming and helpful.
The more people riding and posting the better.

X

Offline ImUlllNosFides

• Forkglider
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
If there is no 'wrong' advice were true (which its not), we would have to arrange the advice from very helpful to not helpful at all ( one big problem is that there is no counter-producing or 'wrong' end on the spectrum); having said this, its obvious some advice is certainly better that others, I for one would take advice from people who are more experienced and proven knowledge than people with clearly less knowledge/experience any day.

Hah, its like martial arts, its better to use techniques of victors and survivors than their counterparts. Its true at one point everyone is to a degree successful, this point where everyone is alive and well, happy doing their own thing... till people with more efficient techniques come and cut/own them all.

Giving advice is cool, people learning bad techniques and such because they got wrong advice not so much. 

If you're going to share, by all means share but dont get bummed or worked up if someone calls you or your advise out, specially if they they have good points/are right, its just the nature of an internet forum.

If there is no wrong advice then why were some posts deleted? Personally i found them more helpful than most.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 12:14:55 AM »
I think common sense will always prevail over any advice. (at least I hope it would)
If anything is clearly 'wrong' then I'm sure whoever reading can take the initiative and correct things themselves. I'm simply trying to get people who may otherwise not post to join in and share. I see no harm in that at all.
I don't get worked up. I'm not sure what you mean.

Play nice and share. Don't just put others down. It doesn't help anyone.

All the best.