Author Topic: Beginners support thread.  (Read 25851 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Beginners support thread.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »
Sounds like you're doing really well to me. I find scuffing with brakes is a lot easier as you can scuff and then grap the brake rather than stop the wheel with more foot pressure.

No. You don't scuff with brakes.

::facepalms so hard face flattens into aether and disappears::

Offline RonnieLee

• Forkglider
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »
You mean you didn't learn the scuff break scuff break technique before going all badass brakeless?

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 04:23:23 AM »
What yer talkin about is a squeaker. Scuffing is a brakeless technique. You slow down the wheel with your feet.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:27 AM »
You mean you didn't learn the scuff break scuff break technique before going all badass brakeless?

I'm not brakeless and yes I learned to scuff without brakes because that's what scuffing is. You drag your foot as a substitution for the brake.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 05:03:30 AM »
Yeah scuffing is a technique that doesn't require brakes. I do use fronts on the squeakers/reverse hang fives.

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 06:13:08 AM »
...face flattens into aether and disappears::

This is most likely possible given enough force!!

Anyhow, I think people are getting kicking and scuffing mixed up.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
I mean kick then. Kick, brake, kick, brake. Easier than scuffing without a brake.
Xbox live GT. Mr Brownground

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »
I mean kick then. Kick, brake, kick, brake. Easier than scuffing without a brake.

That. Isn't. Scuffing.

This is why you shouldn't be giving out advice. At all.

Offline RonnieLee

• Forkglider
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 07:38:26 PM »
Ah, so I need to learn the correct lingo as well.  I think it's good to have both Lam and 2flat on this thread... Lam to make everyone feel welcome and 2flat to make sure we're doing it and saying it the right way.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 12:56:02 AM »
He's the wal-mart greeter.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
There isn't going to be a 'right way' for any tricks. There are starting points for sure, but everyone will find their own way in the end.

I had one of those wonderful clicking moments yesterday. After months of practicing, my reverse steams just 'clicked'. I found I could hold them pretty much indefinatly! And this was after not feeling much progression for about a month. I just stuck at it (despite discouragement from the forums) and it paid off!
So; to risk another backlash: Just keep practicing the same trick even if it feels futile, it might just click (like it did for me.)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
Okay, since we need to get this thread back on track with scuffing.  Scuffing is a brakeless technique that once mastered can open up many tricks. 

Here's how I learned.  Way back in the mid 80's, there was a trick called the "Shingle Shuffle". This trick was basically a Funky Chicken with the rear wheel still on the ground.  It was before a Funky Chicken, so like super beginner level now, though the trick was advanced for the time.  I learned it within a week of seeing it in a magazine, which helped me learn Funky Chickens, Front Yards, Freak Squeaks, etc.  I had the scuff down, so finding the balance with one wheel tricks came easier. 

So you coast a long in a Fork Glide position.  When you are comfortable with that, throw a leg over the bars(depending what leg you want to learn to scuff with, I suggest both...I made the mistake of learning stuff with using the same leg, and it has only hindered me).  So throw that foot over the handlebars and find the tire. You're going to have one hand on the seat and one hand on the grip.  Since I scuff with my right foot, I have my right hand on the seat and left hand on the grip.  This makes me go in counter clockwise circle.  Once you get to the tire with your foot, make contact with the tire.  Drag that foot along the tire with some pressure so you slow down to a complete stop.  Once stopped, push...or kick the tire forward.  You're bars will be cocked sideways....about a 45 degree angle from being in line with your frame.  This will make your trick go in a circle.  Once you have kicked the tire forward...DRAG your foot backwards along the tire surface, thus controlling your speed and the movement of the tire.  This is scuffing.  It will take some practice.  The kick forward should be harder...meaning, put pressure on the tire more.  The dragging back should be less pressure.  This will propel you forward.  If you put the same pressure on the tire forward as well as backwards...you just end up going back and forth.  The idea/concept is to go  forward in a controlled manner with this technique.  Once you get the technique down, you can go around and around in circles if you want.  Ride out by pulling your leg back over the bars and ride out to a Fork Wheelie, or whatever trick you want to use.

Not saying this is the way to go, just my experience in how I learned to scuff.  It worked, because I was scuffing before most riders around me were, and these riders were normally way better riders than myself. 

So kick, drag, kick, drag.  Never raise your foot off the tire surface and forget the brakes.  That is scuffing.  Hope that helps some of you trying to learn. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline RonnieLee

• Forkglider
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
Really?  Walmart is a horrible experience once you get past the greeter.

Thanks for that post Tod, that will be applied to todays session for sure!

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
Really?  Walmart is a horrible experience once you get past the greeter.

Thanks for that post Tod, that will be applied to todays session for sure!

Lol, superb!

Offline VW-Old-SkooL

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
It's been a while since I rode and frankly I ride almost as well as I did 20 yrs ago. Looking to get back into flatland and have been practicing almost daily. Working hard at fire hydrants and decades mostly. I am NOT brakeless. Any pointers on either of these? Thanks in advance for any help.