Author Topic: Beginners support thread.  (Read 25664 times)

Offline JosePHilippineFlat

Re: Beginners support thread.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
Nice thread, this would sure help some newbies out there.  ;D :beer:
Ive been riding for 2 years now and im still a beginner trying to improve to intermediate and i still got a few good advises here. Thanks guys!  :beer:

Advice i could give to some newbies out there, Practice and patience are the only stuff you need to keep in mind when you start thinking that a trick is too hard for you. That's how i got my first few when i started. ;D

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
Patience is probably the most important quality required for Flatland. On your bike and on the Internet! ;)
Xbox live GT. Mr Brownground

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 07:49:45 PM »
Patience is probably the most important quality required for Flatland. On your bike and on the Internet! ;)

Determination comes long before patience.

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
Don't let the thread down just for an inconvenience. I really think motivation is a key factor in flatland. So if you don't ride with friends you will really have to try to keep yourself motivated. When I rode alone my first two years I really didn't find the motivation source ( also smoked a lot of joints :P ).
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 06:53:26 PM »
Thread cleaned at the request of Lam.... If any posts got deleted that wasn't negative I was trying to keep the continuity within the thread. So removed posts that refer or quote deleted one's!

Have fun ;)

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »
I used to ride a lot of street with friends. It really does help to motivate you to try more tricks.
I'm going to try and meet up with Amos, and try to find some other flatlanders around Bexhill and Hastings.

For self motivation I tend to take my phone with me and watch videos at my spot. Also checking in on the trick of the month thread is really good. When you know others are working on the same trick it cane help to push you further.

Another tip for people just starting out (not sure if I mentioned this already or not)

Take some Allen keys out with you! Try moving your seat up and down, your bars forwards and backwards.
Find where the bike feels best for you. Everyone has a different body shape and one persons setup won't suite another.
When in doubt post on the forum :)

Oh and thanks Killah. I'm going to give this one last try ;)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:18:28 PM by Lam47 »

Offline cunners

• Backpacker
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »
my nephews just started flat [ hes 12], teaching him a few things then seeing him land them coupla weeks later has given me even more motivation to learn and progress. Lookin forward to the killah jam!

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 09:26:57 PM »
my nephews just started flat [ hes 12], teaching him a few things then seeing him land them coupla weeks later has given me even more motivation to learn and progress. Lookin forward to the killah jam!

Yeah the young blood is a great motivator! Matt's young lad who was at the 1WM jam was riding hard wich was great to see huh! 2nd should be good matey

Offline rideklein

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
Noob here. Another 30+ year old coming to the trough for some flatland feed.

Wondering if there is some general advice on selecting a ride. In more generic terms, like top tube length, FF offset (or none), drivetrain, brakes, etc. I've seen DK Opsis mentioned, and it appears KHE A-Damn is a flatland rig, but how can I weed out the other brands' bikes more suitable for flat?

I'm 5'10" and 195lb. Most all my bmx life been spent on racers, not freestyle. Now I got kids and want to try flat while we're all out in front of the house running circuits up and down the street.

Thanks.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Hey mate. Good to have you here!
You can actually ride flat on pretty much any BMX. Though of course a flat specific bike will make a lot of things easier to get to grips with.
I'm 5'10 too and ride an 18.75tt. I've ridden up to a 19.5 and felt fine.

Short cranks (under 165mm) are pretty important so you don't catch the rear pegs with your heal.
Four pegs with some grip on, a freecoaster, and some flatland bars are all the main things you will be looking for.

St Martin make a good starter bike called the Darwin.
KHE or the DK are good choices too.

Best of luck!

Offline RonnieLee

• Forkglider
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 02:25:46 AM »
As a beginner what is the best place to start?  Tricks that will lead to other tricks or that can be linked into other tricks.
For example, it sounds to me like learning squeakers is the best point to start for finding front wheel balance; and they can progress into a myriad of variations.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
Squeakers are a good place to start. Fork glides are very important and lead onto reverse steam rollers.
Or you can just walk into steam rollers to get used to being on the front of the bike going backwards.

What I've found is that even if you don't feel like you're progressing you probably are. Keep trying and practicing and one day you will find your balence has improved and you will travel farther!

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Yeah the young blood is a great motivator! Matt's young lad who was at the 1WM jam was riding hard wich was great to see huh! 2nd should be good matey

Cheerz Killah Rich is getting his own 17" deja vu delivered today/tomorrow so hopefully he'll be back @ TGM on his own ride for the Killah Jam he hasn't been riding much flat as he's been in training for the worlds on thursday   :-)

Offline oldmanjoe

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
Squeakers are a good place to start. Fork glides are very important and lead onto reverse steam rollers.
Or you can just walk into steam rollers to get used to being on the front of the bike going backwards.

What I've found is that even if you don't feel like you're progressing you probably are. Keep trying and practicing and one day you will find your balence has improved and you will travel farther!

As a beginner, I spend most of my time with squeakers, fork glides, and peg wheelies. I'm trying to find good balance on either foot. I also step up into a lardyard position, but I am way far away from that. But just stepping into it from the ground is helping me come close to the balance point. The scuffing is really throwing me though.
There are some other tricks that seem like they should naturally flow form these positions, but I'm not solid enough to work on them yet.

Offline Lam47

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
Sounds like you're doing really well to me. I find scuffing with brakes is a lot easier as you can scuff and then grap the brake rather than stop the wheel with more foot pressure.

Have you tried spinning whilst doing a peg wheelie? It can help to get the feel of spinning.