Author Topic: freecoaster driver bearings!!  (Read 2472 times)

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
freecoaster driver bearings!!
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:19 AM »
khe v2 federal freecoaster bearing shattered .. Its always the inner one >:( (2 small bearings)
http://flatlandfuel.com/bearingsforkhegeishareversefederalhub.aspx
It says 5.99 .... Is that for one bearing? or both ?Anyone know? I cant remember from last time I ordered.
 I sure hope for both  >:( these pieces  of junk last a month !!!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: freecoaster driver bearings!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
Hi,
I am sorry to hear this. I have not had problems with the bearings in my Reverse ACB and Federal V2. I am pretty sure that a super tight chain stresses the driver bearings more, but this is personal preference...
I once bought some sealed bearings for another freecoaster and therefore went to a shop for various mechanical stuff (not a bike shop). They could order the bearings for me (they have a number on the side so you can identify which ones you need) and they told me about the steel quality of cheap bearings.
A bearing for 6 $ is super cheap! I paid about 20 € for one bearing! These hold up great so far, but I do not use this hub often any more so I can not tell so much about the benefit.
My personal opinion is that bearings of this quality would make it impossible to offer the whole hub for about 150 $ and this is the reason for the companies to use cheaper bearings.
Maybe it is worht a try to buy "high quality" bearings. I guess most bike shops will only offer spare parts from the bike company (i. e. the same lower quality) so you would have to go to another shop...

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »
If you want high quality bearings then get SKF... My khe freecoaster bearings gave up after six months! Put SKF in and had them two years still going strong.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
truth to that above statement. that said, fag ain't half bad either.

not all sealed bearing can be brought at a bearing shop by product code - spanish sized, 19mm inner diameter, is an example; going by the product code, you get the right outer diameter but a 20mm inner diameter, so...

Offline Da Jorg

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:49 AM »
Same thing with me. After shredding them the first time i bought spare bearings at a bike shop. 3 month later they were trash again.
I took the nummer and searched for the bearings on ebay. Ten for less than the bike shop charged for one.
Yeah spares I thougt, but since then, 1,5 years, not one bearing failed.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »
Really interesting!
I am surprised that the bearings seem to be even cheaper sometimes.
K. Wong, have you succeeded in getting spanish bb bearings although the inner diameter seems to be special?