Author Topic: KHE giesha light street hub  (Read 2845 times)

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
KHE giesha light street hub
« on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
Hey all i've been waiting for the new greyhound street freecoaster to come but reading a bit about them seems that all 3 versions are the same hub different internals

So it got me thinking i have a spare giesha light hub and an old federal lhd hub. Could i use the lhd internals in the giesha light body as a street/park hub,  ??? ??? ???  shave some weight and save myself £170 ???

Any help would be appreciated

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: KHE giesha light street hub
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »
yes you can

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »
To some degree you can. Though I believe, and I'm not 100% on this(but only because I've never had a Fed. hub), that the non-drive top hat in the Fed hub has an ID of 14mm and only fits Geisha hub shells(NOT GEISHA LIGHT) and Fed hubs. The Top hat from the Geisha Light has an ID of 15mm and will only fit in the Geisha Light hub(the OD is smaller for the Geisha light) So you can , but I would think you would need to spin the OD down a little on the Fed. top hat washer so it can fit in the Geisha light and allow the non-drive bearing to seat in it's seat.
I will say, many on here seem to make the switch, but I'm skeptical due to the numbers and my experience with the hub and trying the Fed axle myself on a Geisha light.
One more thing... I'm also not really sure how much you really would save, don't both have Aluminum shells? It's the axle that save the weight in the Geisha Light, or at least that's what I've always thought.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
Hi,
I have a Federal V2 and a Reverse ACB hub. I e-mailed KHE and they clarified the following: The Astern and the Reverse ACB (in contrast to the initial Reverse) have bearing in the driver which have an inner diameter of 14 mm (to allow slightly bigger and stronger balls) instead of the common 15 mm. That is why the original Reverse axle does not fit to the Reverse ACB, at least as long as you do not change the bearings.
I am not sure about the non drive-side bearing, but I guess the inner diameter is also 14 mm for the newer version (Astern, Federal V2). I also think that the outer diameter of the Geisha light non drive-side bearing is smaller.
I guess the Greyhound adjustable has the same axle like the Astern/Federal V2.
In all case I am pretty sure that you can exchange the axles as long as you exchange the bearings too. The only exception would be the non drive-side bearing which is most probably bigger for all version except Geisha light and Greyhound (all versions).
I hope that helps.

About the weight: I assume that the difference in weight is not much. If you put the Federal axle in the Geisha light hub shell (including the non drive-side bearing), I guess you save not much more than 50 g. The adjustable axle is about 25 g heavier as the non-adjustable (I have compared the Federal V2 and the Reverse ACB).

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:01:42 PM by DaddyCool »

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
Thanks guys it's not soo much the weight but the giesha light is a nicer looking hub and my old federal has a few grind marks on it and the wrong colour for my new bike

I dug the federal hub out and the driver is fecked anyway  >:D

Has anyone good a spare 9t lhd driver :P :P

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
Does anyone know if there will be any LHD versions of the greyhound i have not read anything about them ??

I'm just looking into a KHE reverse lhd hub it's only 20grm heavier then the new greyhound and half the price  black and white colour and lhd

Anyone used one or had any issues with them  ;D

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
I don't know if there will be a LHD version of the Greyhound.
But I think you are right, as long as you are using the same axle the difference in weight of a Greyhound/Geisha light and the other version is really not much.
I am using the Reverse ACB for flatland for more than two years without any kind of problems. I know a street rider who had problems with the first version of the Reverse, he destroyed the driver bearings very fast. These were the ones with 15 mm inner diameter. If you have the old Federal (V1) and have not had problems, it shouldn't be a problem because these hubs also used the 15 mm inner diameter driver bearings. But the newer 14 mm version should be stronger in all case.
The point is: As far as I know the first generation Reverse hubs look exactly the same from outside as the second version (Reverse ACB). So you should be careful and ask your dealer about the exact model he is selling to you...

Offline Garfield

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:33:28 AM »
Be careful! I once wanted to swap the internals of my khe freecoaster from Rhd to Lhd so I emailed khe and asked if it would work. They told me the Rhd and Lhd hub shells were different because the inner concaved steel sleeve of the hub shell (the part the clutch pulls into to turn the hub) was threaded into the alloy part of the hub shell and the lhd shell had a opposite thread. So changing the hub from Rhd to Lhd could cause this to undo and unscrew from the hub instead of tighten like it would in a Rhd shell.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
^^^^ that makes good sense.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.