Author Topic: difference between Heat treated and non HT frame  (Read 4126 times)

Offline alkis

• Backpacker
difference between Heat treated and non HT frame
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
I want to buy the Totalbmx 657 and the dealer has it on stock with out the process of heat treating,
This means that the quality is lower?
can you please explain the difference?
thank you everyone in advance .

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
Re: difference between Heat treated and non HT frame
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
heat treated frames are stronger,  wich doesn't mean non heated frames are weak. most frames are not heat treated. flat frmaes at least.

Offline Limited

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:27:05 AM »
from my understanding. HT frames are stiffer, but always stronger. None-heat treated frames flex more which in some cases could make them last longer too. depends on how well the frame is designed and made and also how you ride it.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
Its meant to be stronger but it can depend on the gauge of tubing and other factors. A heat treated frame will be stiffer but can crack and straight out snap. Heat treatment makes things more brittle. It works better on solid metal objects like hand tools. Not bagging heat treated frames, just saying they're not bombproof. If I liked a frame, I'd buy it whether its heat treated or not.  B)

Offline alkis

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
Thanks ;D ;D ;D ;D

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
Heat treatment allows for thinner gauge tubing as it supposedly strengthens the tube. However, i have seen more cracked/snapped heat treated frames than i have non, To the point that some big named companies such as Wethepeople dont even heat treat their frames anymore.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
Heat treating makes steel less likely to bend, but can also make it more brittle.  Odyssey and some other high end companies have very advanced heat treating techniques that are proven for bikes, I'm not sure about others though.