Author Topic: New KHE A-Damn ST 2012 with no freecoaster?  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
New KHE A-Damn ST 2012 with no freecoaster?
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
Hi man,

So after a very lengthy search over every corner of the UK internet I finally bought my first flatland bike, the KHE A-Damn ST 2012 for £350 (RRP is £550) with free next-day delivery from the Rampworx store in Newcastle. I was told the bike was unused and brand new. They had said the bike would be initially cheaper (£320) because it has no front brake but this was later rectified - it would have a front brake but they wouldn't change the price back up. This meant the whole bike cost £320. Amazing, right?

So it came the next day. Firstly, I checked everything was there and assembled it. There were a few chips on the paintwork (Hmmmm, ex-display model?...), and I initially thought they had changed out the bars but later realised they were correct but missing some decals. The brake cabling wasn't the same as KHE's website but I don't mind paying buttons to buy some new ones. There was also no griptape for the pegs but yet again, I got it so cheap I have no worries about just going and buying some. Overall, I was pretty chuffed!

So I put it all together and sat on it, felt pretty sweet and then I moved backwards - the pedals started to turn. Hold on.

So I flipped the bike, cranked the pedals and let the wheel coast - clicking. I checked out the rear hub, no insignia, no freecoaster looking thing in there. So where is my Taska!? I know I got the bike cheap, but maybe they changed out the freecoaster in the hope I wouldn't notice? I'm a little annoyed but I chose the KHE because it was the cheapest full-flat starter model that specifically had a freecoaster.

I was gonna send them an email but I thought I would check on here first seen as I'm inexperienced, how much is it gonna cost me to replace it?

Anyway, yeah, cheers for reading and thanks in advance.

Zen
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:47:14 AM by Zen »
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

Offline wargrip

• Forkglider
Re: New KHE A-Damn ST 2012 with no freecoaster?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Hey mate,

You're absolutely right - should be a taska - this exact one I would guess:

http://flatlandfuel.com/taskabbfreecoasterhub.aspx

As you can see, it would have been pretty cheap to buy one ($39.99 - +- £25) if they were still available but they seem to be discontinued.

The most popular (but pricey) alternatives are the khe geisha lite or nankai and would be around £120 - £150 brand new.

In all honesty, this shop sounds extremely underhanded - I would consider just taking the whole thing back and going to a more reputable dealer - I see chainreaction (which I have had good experience with) has a brand new ST for 385. At least you know it will be brand new, no scratches and 100% the correct spec (although whether you want to spend the extra 65 quid is up to you).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66158

Good luck!

Grip

Phatman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
They told you about the odds & ends missing which is perfectly fine but if they didnt tell you it had a cassette it should be to spec. Email/call them & let them know you dont have a freecoaster & you want the wheel exchanged asap.

Offline Esn

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:38:49 AM »
Also theres this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/KHE-Laufrad-hinten-Geisha-Freecoaster-9Z-36H-Aliennation-Runaway-Felge-schwarz-/220995140028?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrradteile&hash=item33745639bc thats around £82...
But watch out cuz its got a 14mm axle (i dunno what yours is).
But yeah, i would get in touch with the store cuz the specs on the bike aren´t as they should.

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:43:25 AM »
Hey,

I contacted the shop, they said the bike was made up exactly as it came to them. Red grips, a rear brake cable and lever (no mechanism though!?), different coloured cabling, no griptape for the pegs, and a cassette hub is not what the KHE website or any other place I've seen the bike has as base spec. Because they're claiming the bike arrived to them as it arrived to me, they're happy to take it back and refund it but they won't give me money off to buy a new freecoaster. They also claim it's not an ex-display model so the chips are from delivery, which would still be their fault due to lousy packaging, no?

In any case, I probably would have replaced the standard freecoaster for something more reliable after some time, and the saving plus a new hub is still less money than the next cheapest store.

Also Grip, the bike on is discontinued on Chain Reaction, as you might notice if you hit the 'description' tab. Custom Riders was the next cheapest at £450 last time I checked.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to take from this experience. I got a massive saving and the bike is amazing but I do still feel a bit f*cked over, guess I was lucky not to get really, really taken advantage of in this situation...

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:18 PM »
Zen, after reading your post I looked at Flatlandfuel ST completes. Ours have Taska freecoaster hubs but KHE installed thread on freewheels onto the freecoaster driver. Actually the manufacturer in Taiwan probably did this and KHE never noticed. Either way, it is incorrect. If you have your chain really tight your hub will work as a freecoaster. Otherwise it will not. The solution is to replace the freewheel cog with a fixed gear cog which you can get just about anywhere. The shop you bought the bike from should pay this expense though and seek reimbursement from KHE.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »
Word from the man^

One of the mnay reasons I am a repeat customer of FlatlandFuel!Pat is always willing to help answer any questions and is very knowledgeable...FF #1 for outstanding customer service and lightning fast shipping of orders.

Got my 2011 A-Damn Pro frame Friday Pat,thanks again,expect to see an order for forks and front brake by the weekend.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately I'm a complete newbie (hence the bike) so I have no idea what a freewheel or a threaded freewheel or a fixed gear cog is. I'm literally that new to this stuff haha.

Pat, you mentioned that the hub would run as a freecoaster with enough chain tension, what if I bought tensioners? Or is the better option just to replace the cog? I'm a tad confused, my apologies!

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately I'm a complete newbie (hence the bike) so I have no idea what a freewheel or a threaded freewheel or a fixed gear cog is. I'm literally that new to this stuff haha.

Pat, you mentioned that the hub would run as a freecoaster with enough chain tension, what if I bought tensioners? Or is the better option just to replace the cog? I'm a tad confused, my apologies!

Zen,

Tensioners can create their own issues. You chain line has to be perfect and super tight chain tensioner can wear out the hub prematurely. Its much easier to get the correct cog for the hub. Here is what your hub has on it: http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/mBzXHmkfdCAVj71alkakFqCsEDjsmt3ngnbRwyE57Vwj4RCrXlcRdT864BGFOcwsitgZneUV-3_a_K_ehSpqvZ0gU7KOtF_rSVR_rt8pGsO9mTQ75qIMvHkQkvdDNjal3-wT47EB7vzpTeNl-Hbx2Jl-1r6p

Here is what you need on your hub:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31qjjQwnXEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Share this info with the shop you bought the bike from and ask them to send you the correct cog.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:33 AM »
Will do Pat, thanks very much for your advice

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »
KHE has confirmed this problem so your dealer should have no problem getting the correct part for you and reimbursement from KHE.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com