Author Topic: Tods Flatware V2 (7-25-12)  (Read 8520 times)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Tods Flatware V2 (7-25-12)
« on: March 25, 2012, 12:45:14 AM »

New V2 Waltz with custom spray bomb.  New grips that Rad Dad gave me.  Thanks Rad Dad.  Got the frame on the cheap, wanted Flatware forks...but couldn't get them at the price I wanted.  Someday...when they are cheap enough!

I admit it, I'm a cheap guy.  I managed to put together one of the best bikes I have ever ridden...on a budget.  I love it.

-Flatware frame purchased used from Market Place. 75/72/12.5 slammed/18.9/11.85 Mid BB.
-Odyssey classic flatland forks purchased on sale
-Flatware Twombolts 160mm, purchased on sale
-Flatware 20tooth sprocket, purchased on sale.  I HATE this sprocket...thought I could get used to it, but I hear circus music every time I ride the clown gearing
-Deep/Autumn Escobar handlebars.  5/5 sweep, 27.75 wide, 8.25 tall...purchased during FF Christmas sale
-Suelo 35mm(I believe) stem purchased from the Market Place
-Animal Hamilton pedals purchased on sale
-Wal-Mart "special" chain.  Back when I would do sprocket grinds all the time, I broke so many chains that I would just buy the cheapest one I could find.  Why change a good thing?
-Free pegs, ugly color.  I think they are Infinity Pegs.  I won these at the Chase G benefit we had here in Austin.  Better than cheap, free
-Grips.  Thumbtacks that someone gave me.  Or maybe I won those too.
-FSA/generic Gyro came on my Opsis.  They work.
-Federal mid BB...the cheapest one I could find. 
-Dia Comp Hombre front brake.  Had this laying around from some street bike BITD.  Works too good.  I adjusted the brake pads were only about 1/5 of the pad hits the rim.  Still can do Bar Endos and other non-sense with them.
-Odyssey Evo II.  Purchased on sale.  I think it was on sale because of the ugly teal color.  The other colors weren't on sale
-Travis Collier seat.  I think this was on sale too, works okay, makes me feel like I have a short penis
-Infinity post.  Cheapest pivitol I could find.  Does double duty when I raise the flags.
-Odyssey Chase tires, 1.75.  I buy them when they are on sale in bulk
-Seat Clamp, holds the seat up...way up. 
-Zip ties grip stop.  Works, is cheaper and lighter than any grip stop on the market.
-Blitz front wheel/rim/hub.  Cheap front wheel, holds tire...bolts to fork.  Rolls good.
-Geisha Lt coaster hub/Sun Rhyno Lt/generic spokes built by Empire.  I love this wheel.  Never had issues with the coaster, rolls forever and is pretty strong.  Love it!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:12:51 AM by tod miller »
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Tods Flatware on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:49:32 AM »
And I posted the picture with my hand on the chain to show how loose my chain is.  I still can't figure out why everyone runs their chain so damn tight!  A properly lubed and tuned freecoaster shouldn't have to have such novelties to work!  And I hate the sound of grinding chains/gears!

I don't ever have issues with this Geisha once I re-greased everything with a good grease.  Been perfect from the get go, basically.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »
"A puppet no more!"

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:03:31 AM »
Love your budget approach, and I love Flatware. Ride on Homie, see ya soon.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline ross636

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »
looks good Tod. how do you like them bars and with the budget approach how much you think you got in it?

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
+1 for brakes!

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »
+2 for brakes :D

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »
Sweet bike Tod! Will the 22t sprocket be on sale anytime soon?
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Phatman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
Very nice bike Tod.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »
looks good Tod. how do you like them bars and with the budget approach how much you think you got in it?

I don't know honestly.  Just off the top of my head...running down the list, about $800.  That's really not that cheap...but I do buy everything either used or on sale. 

I love the bars!  Actually, I'm kind of a bar whore(wait, what?).  I started with Opsis bars, Metal Years, MTF, and the last set, Chase bars.  Everything is too narrow for me.  I choose the Escobar because it was wide, and a little bit of sweep, but wasn't overly swept back.  It was tall, and had a low cross bar.  I have to have a low cross bar because my knees are toast, and it helps get my foot clear when going over the crossbar for tricks.  Yes, old man knees.  They have a nice finish, seems pretty strong, and don't really have flex.  The price tag is a killer though, even with the discount.  But I love them.  They are probably my favorite part of my bike.  They just FEEL right.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
Sweet bike Tod! Will the 22t sprocket be on sale anytime soon?

Thanks Dax!  Post yours up man!  It's badass!

The 22 isn't going to cut it either...remember, I came from a 32/9 or 29/9 gear ratio set up.  I was thinking of having a sprocket modified to fit the Socket Drive system of the Flatware cranks...but now I just think I will wait to find a set of Profiles on sale.  I don't know. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 07:37:08 AM »
.....They just FEEL right.

i like your outlook, on a few things actually.. I'm the same way on budgeting builds, and i was running intrikat bars but couldn't get the feel for them, so i threw on my old bars from my street park bike (i spray painted them red to match). i dont even know what kind they are. they feel good though. they just feel right.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
.....They just FEEL right.

i like your outlook, on a few things actually.. I'm the same way on budgeting builds, and i was running intrikat bars but couldn't get the feel for them, so i threw on my old bars from my street park bike (i spray painted them red to match). i dont even know what kind they are. they feel good though. they just feel right.

Oh yeah, for sure!  A great bike can be had for a decent price.  A great FEELING bike just makes you want to ride it.  Bars are a must and can make a bike feel totally different.  And the painting part, you are so right.  I often buy things that I want, even if it's not the color I want.  It's nothing a little spray paint can't fix!  Actually, this is probably the first bike I have had that wasn't stripped and spray painted at some point.  I love this Ocean Blue color.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »

"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
My Macneil Collier.  I loved this bike too.  Bought this one from buddy for a really good price. 

The only differences from the Flatware...

MTF bars, 2/2 degree sweep, 7.75 high, 25 wide.
Suelo pegs purchase almost new from a friend for half the price
Odyssey Black Widow cranks 155mm, purchased directly from Odyssey for $40
29 tooth Fly sprocket, free from a buddy
Dia-Comp Tech 7 levers...old levers I had from street bike builds
"A puppet no more!"