Author Topic: Swiss Miss + short steerer tube  (Read 2627 times)

Offline zaemi

Swiss Miss + short steerer tube
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »
Hi!
I wonder if I can use a Swiss Miss bar with gyro plate on a Colony Deja Vu fork.

...as You can see it's not going all the way down so my question is: am I going to break something riding like that? 

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
Re: Swiss Miss + short steerer tube
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
Ohhh cuttin it close. It looks like the.top clamp bolt is above the steerer tube. If so, i wouldnt do it.
fsu666ftw

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »
The swissmiss have a thicker portion right where the bolts are...if your steerer tube is below that, it won't even clamp it correctly...I ran those bars a "little bit" above the top of the steerer and it was just about OK.

That's with no headset spacers in there? That's too bad!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Maybe find a gyro plate that is very thin? I am using one from Hoffman bikes, it saved me a little space!!!

Offline zaemi

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
Yes, thinner plate and a lower headset sounds like a good idea:)
There is one spacer but without it brakes dont work properly (cabels are to close).
Without any spacers and gyro its almoust even.
It looks like for now I wll have to run without a rear brake, maybe I'll get used to it:)

Thanks for help! :beer:

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »
This is the hoffman plate, just to show you.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »
There are extra low headset top caps available, you can gain a few mm there.You can look into a sort of steerer tube extension... contact PIR, he can probably make one for you in cromoly.

Offline jawn

• Funky Chicken
    • BMX is rad
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »
You don't even need a top cap at all, just the top bearing and the split wedge ring

Phatman

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »
You don't even need a top cap at all, just the top bearing and the split wedge ring

This, take the headset dust cover bit off & just make sure you keep your bearings clean.

Offline jumpman2334

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
^
if you ride around dirt or moisture i wouldnt recommend that. the o ring and the other rubber seal are there for a reason. i grease literally everything that is inside the headset, yes even the underside of the topcap, so maybe it would be differnt if you ran dry bearings, but i wouldnt recommend that either

but then again, im kinda like a do it once, do it right, so i dont ever have to touch it again. lol

just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:02:17 PM by jumpman2334 »
fsu666ftw

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »
it sounds sketchy butttt you could use somthing the same thickness as ur steerer tube and cut it just enought to fit the jap that way ur not tightinging ur top bol;t and warping n bending it it in u shud be safe enough just keep the bottem nice n tight and the topcap on ....
Keep it flat!