Author Topic: Suomi Flatland Version 1.0 Video  (Read 10524 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Suomi Flatland Version 1.0 Video
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »

Henrik Claudelin finished his flatland video project called "Suomi Flatland Version 1.0" and provides it for free here on our site . The video consists of 3 bonus sections and one main movie. Altogether you'll get more than 30 minutes flatland riding with riders like Erico Melo, Aapo Airas, Jussi Laukkanen, Julius Salo or Seongtaek Kwon. A big thanks to Henrik for putting all the time and energy in this video and then sharing it for free !
Suomi Flatland 1.0 can also be downloaded in the proper DVD-format, which can be made into a DVD with all the menus and stuff! That download takes 2,27 GB of space, so it's only available via a torrent. Please check our forum for the torrent tutorial .  

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:22:44 PM by Lisa »

Offline Raymon

• Backpacker
great viddees

Offline Henrik

• Hitchhiker
    • Fi-bmx
Ok looks like Martin didn't get my short description for the Suomi Flatland 1.0 in time :) Anyway, here it is:

Suomi Flatland 1.0 is a free flatland DVD introducing a few riders from Finland. It started last fall as a school project, but in the spring I continued it and managed to build a complete DVD out of it. It is my first video project ever so I had to learn everything on the way, but I think it turned out quite well.

The riders included are Erico Melo, Aapo Airas, Jussi Laukkanen, Julius Salo and Seongtaek Kwon (in bonus section). I wanted to include other riders as well, but when I was filming, many riders were busy and Martti was injured. Most of the footage (except the Flatstyles4 -video in the bonus section) are from the fall of 2006, so it's not the newest stuff, but still very impressive. Especially Erico's stuff is very fresh and there's a lot of it in this DVD ;)

In addition to the normal release, Suomi Flatland 1.0 can also be downloaded in the proper DVD-format, which can be made into a DVD with all the menus and stuff! That download takes 2,27 GB of space, so it's only available via a torrent.

The DVD is in PAL-format and all the DVD-players out there may NOT support it! Especially some old models. Try to check out if your player plays DVDs in PAL before downloading. Thanks!

Here's the link to the torrent-file, DVD-covers and a short torrent tutorial below it:

SuomiFlatland.torrent 94,8 KB  (Right Click->Save Target As...)

SuomiFlatland_DVD-covers.jpg 375 KB  (Right Click->Save Target As...)

Torrent tutorial:
1. Download a torrent-client like BitComet (http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/download.htm)
2. Install the torrent-client
3. Open the SuomiFlatland.torrent with the torrent-client.
4. Select a destination for the files
5. Press Ok
6. The download will start (very slowly at first, but it should speed up)

The idea of a torrent is that downloaders are also sharing the already downloaded data with others. So for example when you have downloaded 40% of the data, you download the rest 60% from other people and at the same time share the 40% with other people who don't have that data yet. That of course means that at least one must have all the data (100%), or no-one else can ever finish the download. In the beginning that's me. After you have downloaded all the data (100%), you CAN stop the sharing process, but it would be nice if you left the program open so others could complete their downloads too. I can't share the data forever since my university campus has a weekly upload limit. If I share too much, my internet-connection will be cut off for a week. The actual download-speed depends on the number of downloaders and how fast they share the data.

The torrent will include all the required files to make a DVD, plus the DVD-covers in jpg and short help file HELP.txt

I hope you enjoy the Suomi Flatland 1.0! And if you're wondering what Suomi means or have any other questions or comments, post them here and I'll answer :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:10:42 PM by Henrik »

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
followed the tutorial but nothing is downloading. wassup? did I do somthing wrong or do I have to wait for you to be online and hosting or something?

thanx for this video

TJ Perry

Holy ****. Henrik, you seriously just became my new favorite rider.

Thanks a ton.

edit: Oh man, Ericos stuff just makes me laugh. It's so hard and original and I just.. don't see it coming. I don't know what else to do but laugh hahaha.

edit: ALso god dammit what is with the Melos and running the shadiest looking and sounding bikes. Jesus. That chain lol.

final edit, I swear:

Henrik, you did a really bang up job considering this thing is free. These are pretty much all new faces short of what we've seen from the flatstyle vids that trickle out of finland once a year. The music all works with the riders, and the editing is really clean. the shots are super clear and you always have a crystal image to see what's going on. Considering how much money in the last year I feel I've completely wasted on sh*t videos, I'd say this is nicer than most of what gets released. sh*t, if this were on sale Ericos part would be worth the money alone. He's sooooo f*cking good it's sickening.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:48:45 PM by TJ Perry »

Offline R(uler)O(f)B(alance)

• Hitchhiker
bloody awesome job - thanks a whole lot for sharing!!

seeing such a great healthy scene is really refreshing and with such skilled riders to boot!
and considering this was free.......ppppheeewwwww -you da man ;-)

now Iīll seriously consider hitting up the next flatstyles.

keep up the grrrrrrreeeeeat work!!!

Offline Henrik

• Hitchhiker
    • Fi-bmx
Re: Suomi Flatland Version 1.0 Video
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:30:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments! And thanks for Lisa for splitting up the news and making an own thread for the Suomi Flatland 1.0.

About making the Suomi Flatland 1.0:
This was easily the biggest personal project I've ever done. I'm sure I spent at least 100 working hours on this one to make it as good as I possible could. Prior to this I had filmed about 30 mins in my whole life and never edited a video. So I learned the basics of filming. Then editing with Adobe Premiere. Then DVD-creation with Adobe Encore. Then Adobe Illustrator to make the DVD-covers. Then Adobe After Effects to make the intro and animated texts. And then finally how to put them all together and spent WAY too much time tweaking everything. I actually got very stressed out and almost neurotic with the tweaks. Not good :) Anyway, it's now done and after doing some backups, I will delete all the video software and material from my computer :D

About the music in Suomi Flatland 1.0:
The project started as a simple video-project for a multimedia course I took last fall in university. We were not allowed to use any commercial music in our videos which really limited our choices. I searched through the Net for free music and found the music you hear in the video. So all the songs (except the one in the Flatstyles4 part) are free songs, or at least were when I made the video.

About Erico Melo:
Erico was easy AND hard to film. Easy because seriously he landed like 80% of the links in 1-3 tries! Hard because it was real hard to keep my mouth shut when he landed those ridiculous links. I actually edited a couple of my laughs away from the video :)
As you now know, Erico is an insanely good rider. I remember last year when we were riding and Erico was doing some links where he jumps over the bars. Me or my buddy said to him that maybe he could do a steamroller and jump over the bars to a backyard. About 10 minutes later he pulled it. And stuff like switch-footed one-handed Elbowglide with a knee on the peg... Ugh. (Kai has a good shot of that at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaintero/391420302/)
You may not know it, but Erico is also a very good street/park rider. I haven't seen him ride street, but I heard he's doing stuff like riding down a rail and doing a bunnyhop tailwhip out of it and mixing some flatland stuff on top of the ramps.
In addition to all that, he's a super-nice guy!

About the torrent:
At least a couple of guys are downloading it right now, so it should work all right. I will share it 'till I go over my weekly upload limit here at my campus and my internet connection is cut down for a while :) You can find an another quickstart guide here: http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/quickstart.htm   That website also provides a bit more info and help about using torrents. Google is also your friend :)

Offline jimmy boy

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »
damn hendrik, that was honestly one of the best videos in a very long time! and thanks for having my name in the credits, didnīt expect that one hehe! hate that I couldnīt make it to flatstyles, maybe I will visit you in japan next year !=)

keep it up!

Offline TheBodenseeler

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
Yeah man...this Video is by far the BEST video I've seen for a long time!!
Like TJ said, crystal clear pictures all the time...great music which fits the riding perfect! Just watched three times in a row...had to laugh too during the Erico parts...very motivating!!
I think it's great that you made this for free...but I also think that it's a shame that people spent money on videos like FlatTV or any contest footage videos...expecially nowadays!!
So thank you very much for bringing this piece of art to us!!

Snowsuit Up!!!!

Offline Henrik

• Hitchhiker
    • Fi-bmx
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm really glad that you like the videos. I never thought about asking money for this, since it's just an overgrown school-project and my first try at videos :)

TJ: I think you should nominate Erico as your new favorite rider. I'll just be an unknown guy from Finland :)

Jimmy: You're welcome to visit me during my year in Japan! Though quite many people have threatened to come for a visit, so we would have to agree on the date :)

Oh about the torrent: I left it sharing during the night and I've now uploaded it for 17 GBs. That's way over our campu's weekly upload limit, so I'll have to stop sharing the torrent for 1-2 days. Meanwhile I wish the others who have completed the download would keep sharing.

Offline Flatride

• Deathtrucker
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »
Erico is  :huh: . One of the few riders nowadays to make me go "WHAT?!?!?!" every second of his riding.

Offline FlatismŪ

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »
Erico is such a breath of fresh air - Pure Flatland!
Flat-ism

Offline robilibob

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Damn Henrik! I got late to work just because i had to watch this again. Love the intro with the black and white, i dont think that was on the dvd we watched in finland. Overall great dvd, I can tell by watching that you have been putting in lots of time and effort into this project, everything just clicks.

As someone else said this is way much better than most flatland dvds i have paid for.

Suomi Flatland Version 1.0. Does that mean there will be a Suomi Flatland 2.0 in the future perhaps;)

Offline Sweatpants

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
thank you Henrik! that was amazing!

TJ Perry

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »

Suomi Flatland Version 1.0. Does that mean there will be a Suomi Flatland 2.0 in the future perhaps;)

Oh god yes please yes.

Why no Martti?