Author Topic: Viki wins FISE Costa Rica  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Viki wins FISE Costa Rica
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:01:38 AM »

Viki won the FISE Costa Rica: "I got 1st place at the Fise Costa Rica after a tough final with Rulo Figueroa (Chile) and William Perez (Peru). Thank you!". Congratulations!

Pro Results

1st Viki Gomez (Spain)
2nd Williams Perez (Peru)
3rd Raul Figueroa (Chile)
4th Camilo Gutierrez (Peru)
5th Alex Jumelin (France)

You can find the amateur results on fise.fr. Stay tuned for photos ..

Speaking of Viki, here is his latest video! Nice job!

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
Re: Viki wins FISE Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
Sick ride as always!
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
Nice place to win as well!
Flat-ism

Offline AndrésBMX

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »
Hi forum,

I've registred here in order to share some thoughts with you on this topic.

First of all, I'd like to thank the organizers of this event. It must have been hard work to set up such a great event. I'm sure having had a pretty complete TV coverage of this event it's going to push the BMX sport a lot in this region.
I only attended the event on Sunday and was impressed by the good mood and the performances by the riders.

However, there are some things that I did not like also and it's got to do with the judging system.
After having lived here in Costa Rica for about four years and having seen some BMX events, I noted that the judges don't change a lot.
On bigger events there are usually 2 judges invited from the USA/Canada (Scott Powell, Chase Gouin or Bobby Carter) plus there are the event organizers (Mike Meza, Luis Elias Madrigal and Manuel Prado).
That is, we have the same setup frequently.

So people who organize the events also judge them and the people who get invited get - as I supposed - their expenses paid by the organizers.
Don't get me wrong, I like all of the people mentioned above and they are great advocates of the sport.
However, I feel that all of this might lead to an conflict of interests.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I understand that on events on a bigger scale judges are never in a close connection with the organizers and are all independent in their decisions.

I'd like to see that for upcoming events in Costa Rica as well.

Regards,
Andreas

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:15:56 AM »
However, there are some things that I did not like also and it's got to do with the judging system.
After having lived here in Costa Rica for about four years and having seen some BMX events, I noted that the judges don't change a lot.
On bigger events there are usually 2 judges invited from the USA/Canada (Scott Powell, Chase Gouin or Bobby Carter) plus there are the event organizers (Mike Meza, Luis Elias Madrigal and Manuel Prado).
That is, we have the same setup frequently.

A )We usually have those judges because:
1) They are knowledgeable riders who have seen the evolution of the sport; they have a huge tricktionary so they know the difficulty and originality side of the tricks.
2) There is little or no budget to pay for the expenses of the judges. Chase, Scott, and Bobby, they all come by themselves to the Ticos Jam. For the FISE, I was asked by the organizer if I could help him out with the organization of the flatland part, and I accepted. I asked Christophe (the organizer) if I could choose the judges; he said "yes, but our budget is limited". So I ended up choosing Scott Powell, Bobby Carter, Mike Meza, and Trevlon Hall. I also e-mailed Chase for some input about scoring systems.

B ) We are usually the same organizers because:
Nobody else in Costa Rica is interested in organizing flatland events, I guess??

So people who organize the events also judge them and the people who get invited get - as I supposed - their expenses paid by the organizers.
Don't get me wrong, I like all of the people mentioned above and they are great advocates of the sport.
However, I feel that all of this might lead to an conflict of interests.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I understand that on events on a bigger scale judges are never in a close connection with the organizers and are all independent in their decisions.

How is that? As mentioned before, we used Chase/Brandon score system to judge. Each judge focused only on one aspect: difficulty, originality, variety, or consistency. Decissions here were not biased at all because the decission of one judge didn't influence the others. We added up the 4 scores and then those scores were divided by 4. If there were "conflicts of interests", the top 3 would have been for riders from the U.S, Costa Rica, and Trinidad. Don't you think?

Offline TicoBmx

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:45:08 AM »
  Andreas,

First of all I will try to express myself in English because you know Spanish is my first language…

As you know, Costa Rica is a very small 3rd world country with 4.5 million people. The Bmx scene here is far away the same to a 1st wolrd country like Germany, USA or Japan for example.

The Ticos Jam was born in 2003 thanks to Manuel Prado and me. There was no flatland event in Costa Rica before that because nobody cares about the xtreme sports here, just soccer, soccer and soccer. No sponsors or big companies cares about bmx neither the government… You know how this works because you have lived here 4 years ago.

The Ticos Jam 1 and 2 were 100% costarican riders… Then in Ticos Jam 3, our friend and PRO Rider Scott Powell decided to join us in this adventure. He paid all his expenses to bring his ass down here. 2 years later Chase G came to support the event thanks to Odyssey.
Then in Ticos Jam 6, eight of the best pro riders of the world attend the event too.

My point is, that Ticos Jam and War Jam are not lucrative events so we don’t have money to pay all the expenses to a Flat Judge from Australia, another from Japan and other from France to have them in our events. Those events are organized and supported from riders because we love the sport and we want to show the world how much we love it.

We neither have money to pay the Pros that attend our event, Chase, Scott or Bobby… They are great friends and very respectable riders who love everything about flatland. When we ask them if they can judge they generously accept and did not get paid for that.

I can’t talk about the FISE organization because I was not part of it. I’d be asked from Cristoph Díaz (Costa Rica FISE organizer) and Luis Elias if I want to be part of the judges and of course I accepted, why not?  I think all the judges made their best, the qualification mode was made by Chase G and Brandon Fenton… What else I need to say?

I’m taking your comment in a positive way, not personal, you are a good friend of mine. Anytime you want to help us judging as a Germany Judge you are very WELCOME.

I don’t think our events will be a business in the future, NEVER will be… Do you think Manuel or me are waiting to be rich someday after 9 years organizing the Ticos Jam with some economic repayment? That will never happen and we don’t care about that. Believe it or not, we enjoy every year the event, how the riders comes to the Jam spot and be happy showing their new tricks and meet riders from other countries. I think that’s the best pay we can have amigo… Money can’t buy that…

Peace
Mike Meza
www.ticosjam.com

Offline ManuelPrado

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
I don't have a lot to say other than:

1 I was not a judge at the Fise, I was asked to do it and refused to due to several reasons, the main one was that I just wanted to enjoy the event and ride as much as I could, the other one witch applies in this case is that regardless of the result and the best judges there are and always be people/riders not happy with the result, this was one of the reasons why I started to compete in bike racing, the one who crosses the finish line first wins and none complains about it.

2 I watched the contest very closely and cannot agree more with the result for #1 the final 8, the final 3 and the final result. I just watched the whole thing evolve in front of my eyes and camera, I even watched the footage after the contest and confirmed the result in my mind. After the event was done I was for sure happy with the results as a whole.

Andreas, please tell us how you would of scored the event?

Again I was not a judge and I feel I am entitled to my own judgment, witch is stated above. But give us yours and how you your score system works, tell us how your result will improve flatland as a whole and why this rider/s that you have chosen as the winners will impact flatland.

I am open for suggestions as the TJ9 is about to take place we may implement your ideas as long as they make sense and will make Flatland a better sport/lifestyle.

Cheers amigo!

Alles ist gut.!

Offline Bobby

• Backpacker
    • Diversion TV
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:34 AM »
Flatland is so small, I doubt you will find judges who are not in any way associated with the organizers or the riders. Most likely, we will all be friends to some extent. In all the comps that I judged, have not seen friendship become a conflict of interest.  Each rider needs to be judged as fair as possible to maintain the integrity of the event, flatland, and everyone involved. There is no reason ever for me to put one rider above another unfairly.

For personal reasons, I decided to stop judging contests in the USA after JomoPro 2011. Perhaps I may stop judging contests around the world soon as well. If you or anyone else would like to judge contests in the USA, please contact the organizers of JomoPro and VooDoo Jam as I'm sure they will be looking for qualified people.

Thanks!

Offline BMXFREESTYLE

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
FISE COSTA RICA BMX PRO FLAT & PARK 2012

Offline AndrésBMX

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
Thanks for your replies and your clarifications so far.
Like I said, this was an awesome event and I didn't want to drag down any of your contributions.

No system is perfect, but there's room for improvement.
So this was meant as constructive critisism and I feel that you took it like this.

Manuel, I'm going to send you more the details of my observations via e-mail. Feel free to distribuite it to the other participants of this thread.

Cheers,

Andreas

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »
Double tailwhip 720??!!! WTF!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Park riding is bonkers these days! 

Flat footage was DOPE.  Viki is a beast.  So much skill and talent on display here.  Very cool to see an event of this caliber in Costa Rica!  Props to the organizers and everyone envolved.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Luis Elías

• Team
  • Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
A small report on the national news

Reportaje FISE Costa Rica, Teletica