Author Topic: KHE Geisha Light video rebuild guide  (Read 9395 times)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
KHE Geisha Light video rebuild guide
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
This was posted in the parts section, but so it doesn't get lost, it was suggested to post it here too:
Geisha Light Rebuild Small | Large

Comments and questions are encouraged. I'll do my best to help anyway I can. Thanks for watching.
-Rob
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:54:52 PM by robpossible »
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline CrazyCajun

• Funky Chicken
Re: KHE Geisha Light video rebuild guide
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:59:52 PM »
Thanks for this. Just rebuilt my hub using the video.  :beer:

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
Glad it worked out for ya, Homie!
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline Paulatrix

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:53:07 AM »
Im working on rebuilding my geisha as its been giving me some problems recently. Ive gotten as far as removing the pegs and then taking out the axle stud from the drive side. Now I can not get the driver off. I am turning it counter clock wise but it won't budge. I've never taken it apart and I've had it for about 2 or 3 years, got it brand new. I haven't taken the best care of it, rode in some wetness, didn't use a cone wrench when removing the back wheel to change flats etc.  Any tips on getting the driver out?

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »
Drivers for these hubs, and their clones, get stuck for two reasons and it's not really lack of maintenance, though lots of grease helps later.
The first and main reason the driver will not come out is that it's still screwed on the clutch. The clutch is still behind the large drive side bearing, and it's moving with the driver while you're trying to unscrew it(so it will not unscrew, they are moving together). The other reason, and this just makes things worse, is that the tolerances between the inside diameter of the driver and the axle are very tight. So tight that even without a clutch, the axle and driver, when new, sometimes get stuck together even without a clutch.

Fixes:
I've always had luck knowing that the clutch was the real thing holding everything in, so pulling hard, while at the same time, turning counterclockwise generally works for me. This traps the clutch against the large driver bearing and, hopefully, keeps it from turning with the driver so you can get it free.

The second fix is more complicated and can cause some damage to the threads of your axle, so be careful.
Unscrew the drive side stub about half way and gently tap on the end of it with a rubber mallet. This will force out the non-drive side bearing from the other side. As the bearing moves out, you may have to loosen the stud even more, making less contact with threads and making it more dangerous, but in the end the non-drive bearing should come out and you should be able to get everything apart from there.   

Note: if you don't have a rubber mallet or the bearing is seated really well you can use a regular steel hammer. Just put an axle nut on the end of the stud to keep from bashing your threads.
Also take note that beating on threads can damage them beyond repair!

Good luck!

Offline melon lover

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »

Fixes:
I've always had luck knowing that the clutch was the real thing holding everything in, so pulling hard, while at the same time, turning counterclockwise generally works for me. This traps the clutch against the large driver bearing and, hopefully, keeps it from turning with the driver so you can get it free.

Good luck!

I've had this problem a few times it hurts the old digits...... but i've found two fingers on each side behind the driver with the large bearing on my knuckles and give it a good hard pull out will jam the clutch then give it an un-screw you might have to repeat the process a few times until it's fully released      :-)

Offline butler

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
I've been having difficulty while trying to remove the large driver side bearing
everything else can be removed easily but i just cant get it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »
Use a punch, similar to one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200357805_200357805
you can generally get them at a hardware store for a few bucks. Hit only the outside rim of the bearing. Good luck, Robby