Author Topic: New Geisha Light rebuild video  (Read 9743 times)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
New Geisha Light rebuild video
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
I put this together over the weekend, I hope it can help some of you out.
Geisha Light Rebuild Small | Large
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
Re: New Geisha Light rebuild video
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »
Very good,
Most common problem when people rebuild them is once you hand tight the studs, they don't use a cone to tighten, which causes the studs to tighten up more which causes all sorts of problems.(A mistake I have made in the past)
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline devin

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:45:26 PM »
Thanks for doing that rob. When I took mine apart a couple months ago I really could have used it. Im going to do it again soon just cause your vid is so detailed and I have a tiny space between the hat washer and the hub shell.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »
I found the problem with my geisha was the driver bearings were not making contact with the axle's bearing race.  To solve the problem, the non-drive side bearing needed to be offset in the direction of the driver.   I removed the non-drive bearing, placed a ≈0.8mm pedal washer on the axle and replaced the non-drive bearing.  The washer not only served as a race for the non-drive bearing, but also offset the inner axle far enough toward the driver that I am able to lock the axle studs down rather tight without destroying the bearings.  Goodbye disgusting wobble and noise.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »
Thanks for the comments fella's. I didn't want it to be the same old boring "How To" stuff you see out there with shaky cams and/ or dark and one camera angle.
@Jellys, I actually held back on the commentary... Maybe next time I'll let some more slip by. Nankai may come out soon if I even get some more time. Bashing up my pegs to make it look like i ride always takes a lot of time:)
@Surfon, sounds like a bad hub, glad you sorted it. I'll prolly have to add a washer soon too if mine keeps getting smaller.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:32:34 AM »
Rob, your video was super helpful! I never knew about treating the drive and non drive studs differently or putting it back together on a vise like that. Thanks! Can't wait to throw down with some lube.

Now how do ya get those little driver bearings out?

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:00:19 AM »
Funny you should ask that. I need to change mine because I'm switching axles(hopefully soon) and the one piece axle takes 14mm ID bearings, 3 piece 15mm, from what I hear... I worked on trying to get mine out one of the times I had it apart this weekend(for filming), but only for a few min. I'm guessing you just punch them out like any other bearings. I kinda wish I had the forethought to take mine out when I first got the hub and grease them up then. That thing prolly gets hot and cold and hot and cold and hot and cold... Which may equal frozen.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:05:15 AM »
Yeah I ask because I tried to remove my driver bearings when they started getting all grungy and I destroyed them in the process of getting them out. I don't know how to remove them properly and I think i tried to use a big flathead screwdriver or something. The outer sleeves of the bearings are still stuck in that old driver. They seem pretty fragile.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
how do ya get those little driver bearings out?

One friend of mine made the tool to get these drivers bearings out with a valve,
he modified one in this purpose, I can't explain easily, I 'll show a picture of it.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
hey surfer sounds like a good fix for side to side play. my fed v2 has some and it drives me crazy. i figured it was the driver through the driver side bearing tolerence. i have to check out the driver bearings. thanks. good write up rob!

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
how do ya get those little driver bearings out?

One friend of mine made the tool to get these drivers bearings out with a valve,
he modified one in this purpose, I can't explain easily, I 'll show a picture of it.
That sounds promising, I'd love to see the pic.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:25 PM »
hey surfer sounds like a good fix for side to side play. my fed v2 has some and it drives me crazy. i figured it was the driver through the driver side bearing tolerence. i have to check out the driver bearings. thanks. good write up rob!
thx!

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention, I found you did put a hella lot of grease one which can cause ghost pedelling and lockups, really only need a tad of it on the springs and cog thread
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:08:55 PM by Andrew Tarrant »
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention, I found you did put a hella lot of grease one which can cause ghost pedelling and lockups, really only need a tad of it on the springs and cog thread

In my mind, I have to disagree, I imagine during disengagement the clutch is forced laterally against the hub stopper. It rests here during coasting, forward and backward, as well as during backpedaling; without a lot of grease you would have more ghosting. I’m a little excessive in the video for dramatic/ erotic effect, but it doesn’t hurt. Ghosting comes from bad/ worn bearing(s), an un-lubed resistor mechanism or an improperly tuned hub(sometimes just a fraction of a turn of the drive side stud*). A thrust bearing here may also help this problem, like this:

The above is Zodiac’s female mod of the Reverse axle(his picture). A similar concept of this mod would be this:
 http://www.free-coaster.com/?page_id=142 taken from the Poverty coaster.
I do understand that grease can act like glue and potentially catch the clutch or even trap it to the hub via suction, but I don’t believe these to be true, personally. Not with a high quality grease… I use Finishline: Ceramic Grease. I also ride right footed and am always on my right peg, no ghosts, unless I need to adjust the hub(generally I find its too tight).

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
I agree with Rob...grease is your friend.  As long as the grease isn't years old...it shouldn't act as a glue.  That's why regular rebuilds, and putting fresh grease in the hub when the hub comes from the factory is important.  Don't skimp, use a good quality grease.  My Geisha Lite rolls forever, doesn't have side to side play...and never ghost peddles. 

Great video Rob.  Show them coasters some love!  By far the best resource for rebuilding this hub to date.
"A puppet no more!"