Author Topic: New Geisha Light rebuild video  (Read 9800 times)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
Re: New Geisha Light rebuild video
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
I agree with Rob...grease is your friend.  As long as the grease isn't years old...it shouldn't act as a glue.  That's why regular rebuilds, and putting fresh grease in the hub when the hub comes from the factory is important.  Don't skimp, use a good quality grease.  My Geisha Lite rolls forever, doesn't have side to side play...and never ghost peddles. 

Great video Rob.  Show them coasters some love!  By far the best resource for rebuilding this hub to date.
Thanks Tod, if memory serves, I think you've had a few battles of your own on the freecoaster, roller-coaster of frustration. I'm glad you're finally running smooth!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:45:34 PM by robpossible »
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

byke

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
Big props.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 12:40:13 AM »
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:01 AM »
I agree with Rob...grease is your friend.  As long as the grease isn't years old...it shouldn't act as a glue.  That's why regular rebuilds, and putting fresh grease in the hub when the hub comes from the factory is important.  Don't skimp, use a good quality grease.  My Geisha Lite rolls forever, doesn't have side to side play...and never ghost peddles. 

Great video Rob.  Show them coasters some love!  By far the best resource for rebuilding this hub to date.
Thanks Tod, if memory serves, I think you've had a few battles of your own on the freecoaster, roller-coaster of frustration. I'm glad you're finally running smooth!

It was with A Federal V1.  The driver bearings blew within two days...I had to replace the bearings three or four times in a 6 month period.  The Geisha Lite has been good to me, it ghost peddled a little when I first got it, but then I regreased it and learned how to work on it.  I looked for some info about it, got very little in finding good reference material, which is why I say this video has been the best to date.  Excellent.  I even noticed on Facebook, that Pat had posted your video on the FF page...so props to you.  People are taking note!  I know you like to chime in on freecoaster topics, and we all appreciate it because you know your stuff.

Now the question is, can you help me rebuild old school, three speed hubs for my local bike co-op!  Lol.  Seriously, Sturmy Archer hubs and the like have been a huge pain in my arse!  But like with anything, I just take it apart and keep everything in the same sequence I pulled it from the hub.  That's how I've worked on bikes for the last 25 years...if it didn't get rebuilt, I didn't ride!

Also, Rollercoaster how to?  Anyone?
"A puppet no more!"

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Tod; to me freecoasters free up riding and like the rollercoaster mod helped, lets say, Alex Worden pull a no footed stick b is just cool as hell to me. It's true you can ride flat on whatever; details aren't always everything, but ignoring them also hinders progress, ideas and when stuff doesn't work right it can be downright maddening.
As for new rollercoaster mods, I think about them but I have nothing, as of yet… 3 speed hubs, no sorry, no interest. But if you get a really old coaster from the early 1900’s give me a shout out! I got one about 6 months ago at my lbs, the thing was crazy; it had a grease fitting and over 20 washers!:)

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
  • im on iron mans back! ,-
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »
I came across this video thru the ff Facebook page ive only just got a freecoaster and never worked on one before, I've been puttin off givin the hub a grease down n shiatsu up until now!
Your a legend!  :beer:
''let me tell ya something i did a front n rear wheel hang on the cloping on the slide of the spine, now i stick to street!''

''do you freestyle?''

However serious you take it general public sees us as just dicking about on 'kids' bikes, some people could do to remember that and smile a little.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
I came across this video thru the ff Facebook page ive only just got a freecoaster and never worked on one before, I've been puttin off givin the hub a grease down n shiatsu up until now!
Your a legend!  :beer:
Strait up dope, thanks Homie!

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Dude, fancy posting this as a new thread in the How-to section... Super useful... You can leave this thread here also... Really nice vid

Link to how-to section;

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?board=27.0
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:14:14 PM by khe killah™ »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
Dude, fancy posting this as a new thread in the How-to section... Super useful... You can leave this thread here also... Really nice vid

Link to how-to section;

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?board=27.0

Done and done, thx dude!

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Rite quick question for ya, iv took the hub apart n it seems like what Ali could mushroom did. I had a headache just unscrewing the driver, I followed your vid got rid of all the wobble used hella lot of grease n as far as wobble and freecoasting goes it works like a dream.
The problem is when pedal back it goes about half a turn n just stops if I force it (bad i figure?) the non drive side tophat bearing race turns too. Please help like I said previously this is my 1st freecoaster so box fresh over here! :) I'm hoping it's just new bearing races n not the axle too but i have no clue so cheers in advance peeps  :beer:
''let me tell ya something i did a front n rear wheel hang on the cloping on the slide of the spine, now i stick to street!''

''do you freestyle?''

However serious you take it general public sees us as just dicking about on 'kids' bikes, some people could do to remember that and smile a little.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »
^^I can't be sure what you did, but yes, don't force it. I'd take it apart again. If that tophat is loose, the drive side assembly is not all tightened up, which it needs to be. Drivers get stuck sometimes when the clutch comes loose from the resistor, so it just turns with the driver trapping it in the hub. Try again, the more times you do it the better you will understand.

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
The top hat isn't loose, Iv had it apart 5 mby 6 times n it seems like the driver is unscrewing from the clutch like when disassembling so im guessing the thin washer on driver side has been crushed? Once the cog moves like that it's like there's pressure from the clutch going onto the slack washer through to the non drive side tophat. I'm all out of ideas I've took it apart sooo many times i got paranoid n got a second tub of grease just incase i put the wrong stuff in lol thanks for the quick response guess its time for another grease down n shiatsu on the geisha.

''do you freestyle?''

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
Once your hub is together(minus the drive side stud), does it look like the video at time 8:40? The hub is together and the washer bevel is facing down, it all fits and covers the axle end “flush”. Sometimes on new hubs that are not broken in, a little fiddling with the driver and clutch is necessary to make sure everything is fully fit together well. I tried to show how flush this part was in the video by brushing my finger over the axle as I finished her off. Though really, you could tighten it together as long as you are sure you have the driver threaded onto the clutch, at least part of the way. Post pictures if you can, they say a thousand words, well in good light and at nice angles they do. :)

Offline Keneken

• Backpacker
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
Soz guy forgot to mention the hubs 2nd hand its on a equilibrium i got my hands on, il try get sum pics on for you but won't be till tomorrow after work.
It was a bit of a struggle getting the driver and non drive side bearing off so i figured the owner before me cranked the stubs too tight, when i got it all apart i could feel where the Ali axle had flared out. If the previous owner has cranked them too tight with me only turning the drive side stud enough to take the wobble away could that be leaving a gap for the driver to unscrew from the hub?
The washer all sits flush its just a bit chewed where the inner bearing sits.
Cheers for ya help. :)

Keneken.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:27:07 PM by Keneken »

''do you freestyle?''

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
Soz guy forgot to mention the hubs 2nd hand its on a equilibrium i got my hands on, il try get sum pics on for you but won't be till tomorrow after work.
It was a bit of a struggle getting the driver and non drive side bearing off so i figured the owner before me cranked the stubs too tight, when i got it all apart i could feel where the Ali axle had flared out. If the previous owner has cranked them too tight with me only turning the drive side stud enough to take the wobble away could that be leaving a gap for the driver to unscrew from the hub?
The washer all sits flush its just a bit chewed where the inner bearing sits.
Cheers for ya help. :)

Keneken.
I never like anything that looks chewed on... Looking forward to some pics:) Maybe then we can get it sorted.