Author Topic: Brake set for KHE A-Damn ST 2012  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
Brake set for KHE A-Damn ST 2012
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »
So I've decided to get this little beauty for my first flatland bike:

http://www.khebikes.com/2012/a-damn-st-2012-p-1484.html?osCsid=4c39a84917c84643a8e0d2ef9b0b8581

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/45067/KHE_ADamn_ST_2012_BMX_Bike

It's basically everything I need plus more, my only concern is that there are no rear brakes as standard. So I have a few questions:

1 - I would like a rear brake, at least to start out with. I plan on using the bike for travelling around town every once in a while, but do I really need one? Do a lot of flatland tricks require them or will I be able to improv without much (more) difficulty?

2 - What brake set would I need? Will most sets fit this bike or am I going to need a more specific setup?

Cheers man,

Zen
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
Re: Brake set for KHE A-Damn ST 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
Brakes on back is old school xD, I wouldn't recommend watching ground rules DVD since Matt uses them in all his tricks xD.
Having ridden with both on and off, I can say they are completly different, both are just as hard, being able to do a trick with brakes means relearning it all over again without brakes, so choose your path.
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Hahaha, Ground Rules was the first thing I was told to watch for learning tricks, so I've kinda got it into my head that I definitely need full brakes. I would rather be versatile and know the tricks without, now that you mention it! I guess the front brake will at least give the bike some use while I'm riding around town.

Thanks very much for the help dude!

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »
use both front and back,brakeless is just the trendy asshole way,first learn with brakes,then without....otherwise,just another trendy assshole.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »
There is something in Occupational therapy called a “task analysis” that I think relates to learning any task and I think about it while I’m trying to learn a trick all the time. If you can break up a trick and make it a little easier, less scary, or even just build strength(balance strength or physical strength) within a position then you can learn it a more systematically. It is always a step by step process. Brakes sometimes can help you do this, and others times make you fall by you getting into habits of grabbing them to protect yourself from falling. All Matt’s tricks in Groundrules are not with brakes, sorry Andrew, they are not. Some tricks you learn with brakes, some you just don’t use them. I don’t ride a back brake, but I did for years. I toy with the idea of putting one on every now and again, to help me learn a few new things, though. I think saying things like, I am a brakeless rider and I will never ride brakes”, will stop you from progression and vise versa. Riding is about progression; your setup should always reflect what you are working on. Beginners, I think, always need brakes.
The most resent Spaceark BMX school vid:
SPACEARK BMX SCHOOL 2012 2/5

Looks like a lot of beginners with brakes…
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
Thanks guys, really helpful answers, much appreciated man!

To robpossible, do you think riding with just a front brake would be good enough or should I definitely fit a back brake? I've been looking at parts and a full setup seems more reasonably priced than I first thought, if it's worth the hassle I see no reason not to if you think it would help.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
I think it "brakes" down to logic... If you never try it, you will never know. Andrew knows that it didn't work for him, but he did say he has tried them several times... That kinda tells me something and should tell him that his advise is not so accurate here(sorry Andrew, not an attack, JMO). But again, I think anyone getting into flat, has a world of tasks that they need to overcome. The more tools you have in your toolbox, the better equipped you are to deal with your individual needs. You can simplify your tool box as you understand your style, what comes easily to you, what comes hard and how you deal with learning.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »
I have to say that it wasnt till i removed my brakes that i actually progressed... I would pull the levers all the time during tricks and my mind almost did it automatically after time.

For me removing the shackles of flatland was the best move i ever made!

Offline Zen

• Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:37 PM »
It's good to get some experienced opinions on the matter, I suppose the most important thing is that I'm enthusiastic and willing to learn either with or without them?

Regardless, I'm getting the A-Damn at the start of next month (As a birthday treat for myself - I suppose being a lone wolf has it's advantages in that I won't be bothered spending hours upon hours practising...) and I'm gonna buy a rear brake set while I have the mint. If I don't use them or prefer the feel without, then that's fine, I'd rather have both ends of the bike covered for brakes while I'm bolting through the city centre and generally riding around anyway.

Yet again, awesome advice.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
Your not alone (no pun intended) i am also a lone wolf bro... I ride by myself 99% of the time.Most standard tricks like steamroller, hang five, whiplashes etc... should be done without brakes anyway. But when new having a safety net is not a problem...

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
And, when you have a back brake, you can ride as if it wasn't there and when you need it, you can use it. Anyways, brakes aren't that much heavy, so it won't have a big impact on the bike.