Poll

R&D question.

Yes
11 (52.4%)
No
10 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Universal Freecoaster Hub shell...  (Read 3922 times)

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Universal Freecoaster Hub shell...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 06:49:53 AM »
Essentially a profile nankai shell without being a complete niche shell.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
Are you planning to do this? I mean do you have designs or is it just an idea right now? I would like to see some drawings or sketches or CAD of this if you can get them.
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
Ok, so I'm down with the idea theoretically.  Make the hub available in 36 and 48 hole and design the flange and shell to be radial lace capable without cracking flanges or deforming the bearing/adapter seats on the inside of the shell.

The hurdles I foresee are still related to tolerances though.  Even if mulitple bearing race and cone adapters can be made to make this indeed Universal.  Those pieces need to be held to an extremely high standard to be an improvement over the stock hubs.  And how much variance is there in the manufacturing of said stock hubs that you can ensure the adapters will always work?  I understand that angular contact needle bearings will afford you some leeway, but the interface between the adapter and the driver for instance could lead to some play?  The more stuff the stack together the more potential for things to go wrong......Right??

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
Even if this could be achieved; personally I think a universal shell with adaptors would be heavy and large compared to the stock shells we have, therefore, you would be at a disadvantage as far as comparative demand goes. A benefit of not having to build a new wheel only holds a little bit of merit too. In your analogy; "Bob" was riding a Nankai shell, not yours; in order for him to cheaply switch internals with Bill, he would have had to buy and build your shell up from the beginning, adding to his cost of his original coaster. Maybe he would have foreseen a problem with his Nankai and bought your shell but it better have some very nice bearings in order for him to buy it and look past the weight and the technical problems that he may not even understand. Furthermore, having peeps understand the coasters that are currently on the market is a bitch, throwing a complex set of adaptors, and several sets of internals that may fit will further the confusion the consumer may have. Nothing outlining benefits in this thread has shown me a good biz plan to even put the time into such a project. George French has some great ideas for coasters too, but the Bear Corporation has not been able to produce anything that could be profitable to the company or to even have ODSY Team riders test them. Improving on a current coaster may fill your needs. Look at what Zodiaceng.com has done with the KHE Reverse axle. Ken has been sex changing them and adding thrust bearings for a while now.
I'm sorry if I made fun in my first post, but these are Olympic sized hurtles, and to me, someone, anyone would need a little magic to pull this off and truly make it work. I love to be proved wrong though, so please make a success of this if you have such a passion and knowledge for this part. I'll buy one just to see how you made it work.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline NOpurpoSE

• Backpacker
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 03:30:22 AM »
This is basically what I was getting to. I don't think there really is a market for a device like this. Maybe if you could come up with something that would improve the hubs that are already out there, like a hop up kit for your freecoaster maybe. I would be interested in something like that.

But seriously, how often would the scenario you laid out actually happen? And if I put Geisha internals into your hub, because I want to try out a Geisha hub as you put it, am i actually trying out this hub? Or just a frankenstein version of it?

I too am not making fun of your idea at all. Just offering the constructive criticism that you asked for.

Offline AlarmedBread

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:11 AM »

If I were to purchase this hub I would want all new (improved?) guts to go inside of it too. Obviously you want to allow people choice to run whatever guts they like, but seems like here is the opportunity to improve upon what is already out there.

Offline sickchildbikes

• Company
  • Funky Chicken
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »
is this for real or a joke?

if anyone needs advice i can be reached at ed@sickchildbikes.com

Holla! ALL DAY...
ed

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:06 PM »
I think we'd be better off with a hub that would work with a currently existing cassette hub shell, like George's prototype from a few years ago.  Also, it would be nice if a freecoaster could use existing cassette drivers (I've never had a cassette wheel so I don't know how they work internally), that way we wouldn't have to have things like the wildly expensive Nankai 9 tooth upgrade, and replacements would be readily available and easier to find.  The less dedicated parts that have be designed and machined, the less expensive the hub is going to be.  Less parts, less complex design, something that's cartridge sealed and reliable and easy to work on.     

Offline BMXFlatlanderFL

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »
OKay... im stirring the pot... A LOT!

We are all looking for a coaster with paws inside, correct? Something that is ALWAYS ENGAGED, or seems to be?

The most reliable way to do this would to be with a centrifugal force coming from the inside of a driver. a minimal pin length that would push outward spring action or just an outward pedaling force. The pins would push on paws... It would engage instantly as you pedal, as soon as you stop pedaling, it would disengage allowing it to go either direction without catching up...

Could also be used on vehicle transmissions to reduce fuel economy and use...

((this isnt my idea, i got it from a buddy of mine))

Matt