Author Topic: bars with backsweep  (Read 7053 times)

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
bars with backsweep
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
i was wondering if having a bar with at least over 7 backsweep wouldn't help me get rid of the pain i get in my wrist. Pain is getting worst now that i m practising nose wheelies a lot more.
Im even considering as bacsweeped as 12. Off course only street bars are like that, that much.

So is anyone riding with a lot of backsweep? does it help ?

thnks !

Offline ross636

• Backpacker
Re: bars with backsweep
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
10deg back and 5deg up, i like the sweep a lot. i used to run like 2deg sweep for over 10 years. made the switch last year to my new bars, now my tennis elbow is gone and can have more hours each session, now that pain has gone.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:20:34 AM »
Back sweep is where it's at and will definitely help with your wrist pain.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:41:49 PM »
I would get them if you think they're only going to help. I have the Deco Fubars with 8 degree. I would never go less than 8 degree...
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »
i finally bought the Mankind Archangel bar, for a very good price.

12 degree backsweep sounds like its a lot, but i'll test it and see how it rides. I think it should be fine, but i'll need to get used to it and it might take a session or two :)

http://www.esprit-bmx.com/epages/40ku887r.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/40ku887r/Products/%22130%20213%22/SubProducts/%22130%20214%22

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »
i was wondering if having a bar with at least over 7 backsweep wouldn't help me get rid of the pain i get in my wrist. Pain is getting worst now that i m practising nose wheelies a lot more.
Im even considering as bacsweeped as 12. Off course only street bars are like that, that much.

So is anyone riding with a lot of backsweep? does it help ?

thnks !

Jpoliti:

So you've really been hitting the nose wheelies hard, and that's understandable since you're trying to get the balance point down. Now what about when you finally get them all dialed in? You needed a more comfortable last week and right now, but not anymore. It won't be worth deviating from your 0 or min sweep setup you have right now.

For example, all I was working on for a while were whiplashes--and having 0 back/2 up started to really kill my wrists. But you know what? That was only 1 trick out of like 5 that I was doing.

Also, getting sweep wears away grips, barends, brake levers, and the bends of the handlebars way different than a min or 0 sweep does. So in the grand scheme of things, really think about all of the consequences and cost/benefit analysis before "upgrading".
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
yes more back sweep means less wrist pain. and i dont care much about grips, barends and bends wear, as long as my wrist are not killing me :beer:

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
thanks for your answers. These nose wheelies i'm working on are not really dialed that's for sure. all i can ride is about 5 meters long, one out of 10 tries. Still i'm getting the hang of it, slowly, it is taking longer than i thought it would ;) This one is hard to learn...!

you might be right Metalbmxer, but as the english say, better be safe than sorry !! I've been hurt before lots of times, tendonitis and other injuries, now when i get a signal from my body i don't ignore it anymore and ride over it, i try to fix it instead ;)

Thanks again for all your advice ! i'll tell you more about the big backsweep bars whn i ride them next week !
i really love my sequence combo, but i'll give the 12 backsweep street bar a try and see how it

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:46:21 AM »
i've been running my 12 backsweep bars for two month now. it REALLY helped me solve my wrist pain, it nevers hurts anymore now.

still struggling on theses nose wheelies ! sometimes i can do 10 meters and i can really feel the balance point, but that's one out of ten tries. once you find the balance point its so easy. the hard thing is to lift the bike to its balance point, it's easily too much and i go over the bars, or not enough. The hardest part of this trick is really to be able to pop into the nose wheelie for me
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:48:56 AM by jpoliti »

Offline Flatmen

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
You got the same probleme as me... I cant get into hang 5s for sh*t but once im in i can roll them a good 5 meters
Check me out? http://www.youtube.com/user/J0EJ0E11

-Falling is just a chance to get up and try again

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
then this is a good sign. i proabbly had the same issues practicing hang 5s but i don't remember since it was sooo long a go (1990). Now hang 5 are so easy and natural. This means it will be the same for you in a small while, and the same for me with nose wheelies !!

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
i think for flatland 5-9 degrees is good,as 12 degrees might be too much for some tricks.i ride some flatland with my street bike but some tricks are very difficult,others are easier.i think you want something in the middle

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
well it's all personal preferences. i'm perfectly happy now with the 12 backsweep bar...ridingwise you get pretty much used to anything, more or less. but the wrist pain were a problem for me. the problm has gone now. i guess everyone is different

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »
I run the S&M Beringer XLT Bars and love them, the specs are:
27" width, 8" rise, 10* backsweep, 3* upsweep, and pretty light 1.6 lbs (725 grams)
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 03:34:43 AM »
Running high pressure in your tyres will do that too, why alot of street riders ride there abit lower for lands and so on..
Keep it flat!