Author Topic: More details on the new KHE Greyhound freecoasters  (Read 12109 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
More details on the new KHE Greyhound freecoasters
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
KHE released some more details for their upcoming Greyhound freecoaster series: with a Geisha Light hub body, REVERSE driver and ACB bearings, we combined the best of our freecoaster history and added 2 female axle options.     Three different axle configurations have been chosen. All hubs share the same construction; only the axles are different and can be upgraded if needed:

GREYHOUND FLAT freecoaster - 110mm alloy female axle – the lightest freecoaster available - flatland specific – weight: 508g (including bolts)

GREYHOUND STREET freecoaster - 118mm CrMo female axle – axle sits in the dropout in order to offer more support - for street use– weight: 574g (including bolts)  

GREYHOUND ADJUSTABLE freecoaster - 14mm hollow CrMo axle – with patented adjustable gap axle - for heavy peg use – weight: 626g (including nuts)  

A new Greyhound cassette hub and front hub will be presented soon. All freecoasters are available now.

Offline gumby

Re: More details on the new KHE Greyhound freecoasters
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:06:46 PM »
so f*cking excited...

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
When will these be available at Flatlandfuel?!?!?!
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »
Surely not that different? Just a product re-brand :huh:

Question does it need immediate maintenance out the box like all the other khe freecoasters?

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:11:46 AM »
Question does it need immediate maintenance out the box like all the other khe freecoasters?

AWESOME!

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »
i still remember the 'rollex' freecoaster by khe and their claims of it being the best... what a epic and expensive failure that was, and at fellow riders' expense to boot!
- the hollow crmo axles snapped or cracked after light use, the cup with 'c' spring which held the barbell bearings flared after moderate usage causing inconsistant engagement, replacement bearings are expensive...
what about the gold version of the geisha? with alls it's side-to-side play out of the box?
i think the taska ufree is lighter also.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
It's only been 2 decades...give them a chance, guys!!!

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
Everyone wants a sealed, durable freecoaster that's reliable and as easy to use as a cassette.  Unfortunately KHE has been trying for literally 20 years.   What's going to be better about these than the Geisha Lt, the Astern, the Reverse, the Geisha, the Rollex, the Albert Rollervernugen, and the original (c. 1992 or 1994 version) of their freecoasters? 

It's not just KHE though. We've been hearing since before I was old enough to drive that just around the corner we'd finally have a Nankai/Suntour killer but every single time it's never panned out, and most of the time these products are somewhere between somewhat and completely nonfunctional and fall off the market almost immediately.  The Primo Bomb (1996), the first aluminum Taska (1997-99), the Haro freecoaster(c. 2001), the Sym Hub (2001), the first Odyssey coaster(c. 2001), the 2nd Odyssey coaster(2003?), Federal's hub, etc. 

Forgive me for being a pessimist but after 20 years of waiting I'm starting to think that either creating a reliable freecoaster redesign is something that's either beyond our collective design abilities or beyond what's possible in terms of manufacturing. 

That being said though, those hubs DO look really good, so I hope my pessimism is misplaced.     

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
Nothing internally is different than what KHE currently has on the market, so don't hope for breakthroughs in reliability.....cause nothing's changed. That being said, I do want to convert my Alienation to these guts, badly. IMO this is light-years better than the Geisha studs.

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
I had my khe geisha and geisha light like free maintenance, i ride often and kind of hard (I guess lol)...
the new ones are the female hub trend, so why not....trend is always about in this days...

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:49:33 PM »
You guys are all dumber than rocks. The geisha is as reliable as it gets. Just grease the thing and it runs like a champ I mean wtf.

loque

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 05:52:48 PM »
You guys are all dumber than rocks.
For once i agree with Gregory , i mean i would of said used tampons but rocks is good enough.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 12:29:13 AM »
The great thing about this female version is that instead of the axle stubs being both the axle and the lock nuts, you have an axle and separate lock nuts.  Another issue with most of the geishas, is the lack of axle shims under the driver side bearing to insure proper racing of the bearings with the axle.  This is why the bearings end up destroyed. 

Anyone who has never taken a class in engineering, mechanics, or has any mechanical inclination should not comment on the quality of bike parts, just like somebody without knowledge of science or religion should not comment on either subject.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »
Have to agree with Surfon.

To me you have to become a ninja to maintain a Nankai. Not nocking it. Those guys that swear by it are probably right; it probably IS the most reliable free coaster of them all. But think of that friend that totally has no clue when it comes to fixing their bike. Would you turn that guy loose with a Nankai? I wouldn't because I know who would be the guy to fix it when he jacks it up or when it needs maintenance (me).

For that guy, a KHE is relatively simple and a lot easier to maintain. Its pretty reliable too. Maybe not perfect, but close enough for the average rider.

For me I just want the female axel so I can take my almost slammed wheel off without taking off my crank arm (I refuse to use master links).

my 2 bits
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »
The point i was trying to makes is.....
 I love my khe geisha lite.... Runs well never ghost's, super smooth!

But to make it like that i had to open it up and grease it straight out the box cos it run like crap. The reason people with no engineering knowledge are the one's who complain about it is cos they don't have the knowledge or confidence to strip it down and perform servicing on it the minute they get it....