Author Topic: Fork without integrated race  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Oneal Little

Fork without integrated race
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
looking for a new fork for an old frame without integrated headset. Zero offset 170mm or more steerer. it is proving hard to find.  if anyone  can shed some light on this subject that would be great thnx

Offline sbbbmx

• Hitchhiker
Re: Fork without integrated race
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
ive found most of the integrated steerer race new forks should fit onto the majority of sealed bearing headsets as long as the race bearing seat angle is the same which it should be, it should help in finding a fork, does not work with ball bearing or roller bearings in standard 1 1/8th a-headsets though.

Offline soybeener

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:02:21 AM »
A few months back, I was in the same situation you're in.   Through extensive research I basically found 2 potential solutions.

1)  KHE forks (175mm steer tube).  Pat verified the KHE forks will work with standard non-integrated headset.

2) Flatware forks (185mm steer tube) installed w/ Solid headset.  I settled on this solution and have been riding this setup since this summer with no issues whatsoever.  I followed the instructions here :
http://www.bmx-u.com/index.php?title=Solid_Headset_Mod_(Integrated_HS)
I just installed the top bearing race on the forks and the fork race on the top of the stack (under the stem).

Feel free to PM me if you have any ?s.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:06:06 AM by soybeener »

Offline Oneal Little

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:50 AM »
 so the khe forks will work .thats good news. is that all models tanaka and tanaka LT ? the Tanaka LT has removeable mounts if it does indeed work with the standard headset i 'll probly pick one up .theyre on sale too.

Offline manu

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
Go knocking on Malo's (P.I.R.) door.
For the same price as an average fork he can make whatever you want and if you send him an old fork for him to modify to your specifications it's only half price.
People here really need to consider more the custom alternative.
There are some really competent builders out there...

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »
I have recently found headset cups to use with integrated  headset bearings... send me a pm I could sell you a set if you need...

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 01:04:14 AM »
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=50055.0

Selling my Odyssey flat classic fork (uncut) that still accepts the headset bearing race... let me know if you're interested.

Offline phlatliner

• Hitchhiker
  • hi yah! stupid ninjas!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
+1
I have recently found headset cups to use with integrated  headset bearings... send me a pm I could sell you a set if you need...

-Roy
HEY dude do a trick!