Author Topic: Diatech hombre brakes and gyro?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
Diatech hombre brakes and gyro?
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
So, I wanna buy diatech hombre brakes, because my new frame has back brake mounts, but I'm not sure if they work with a gyro. Has someone tried it?

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Diatech hombre brakes and gyro?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
Sure they work.  Do you have experience setting up back brakes??  Its a little tricky adjusting a gyro. 

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:50:53 PM »
Set up from the rear foward, cant go wrong that way. Have all the gyro parts mounted and barrel adjusters screwed all the way in.
1) set your desired tension with the springs on the brake.
2) hook up your straddle cable so its a couple of inches ahead of the seatube , about halfway between ST and frame mounted rear barrel adjuster.
3)thread both sides of your lower cable all the way into the lower gyro cable mounts, slide your Hanger onto the cable ,hook it onto the straddle cable,grab the brake arms with 1 hand and squeeze, with your free hand pull the lower cable tight in the hanger and tighten the nut on the straddle...it'll seem a bit loose but not to worry, thats what the barrel adjusters are for later. Gyro should be bottomed out right now with the lower cable ends in the slots on the lower part of the Gyro itself.
4) connect the upper Cable, again threading barrel adjusters all the way in to the upper gyro plate BTW make sure the ends are in the Gyro itself.
5) NOW you can use the barrel adjusters to "Dial in" your brakes to your liking..try to turn the 2 on each side at the same time and the same amount..
The Gyro SHOULD be closer to the LOWER cable mount,so you'll have the room to pull without hitting the bottom of the top plate.
I hope this helps ya Bro.

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
I'm gonna refer to your post when I'll have it to help me install the brake. I searched "hombre back brake" on google and I understood what confused me at first: My old tektro brake worked with 2 cables, but the hombre works with just 1, so I need to put 2 gyro cables instead of just one, like in that image: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/48984

I just wanted to be sure that it worked before purchasing it on flatlandfuel. A back brake without a gyro, in my opinion,sucks.

Offline calamity-calvin

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you need some Hombre brakes? I am selling some on here under the add titled "Rear Wheel, KHE Hub, Twenty Fork, Premium Cranks". I'm not trying to take over your post with a "for sale" advertisement, just trying to help out, that's all. Also, the Hombre brakes that I have come with cable knarps so that dual rear cables can be attached to the rear brake. If you're interested, just send me a PM.
WANTED: Odyssey Pro Flatland fork (zero offset, 990 mounts)

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
I wanna buy them from flatlandfuel because of the giveaway, thanks for the offer anyways.

Offline calamity-calvin

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D That's right!!! I forgot about that.
WANTED: Odyssey Pro Flatland fork (zero offset, 990 mounts)

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
I got my brakes working perfectly all by myself! :D

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 04:20:38 AM »
Cool Brah, I'm glad my W.O.T. was of absolutely no help..

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
No, I mean, I used your instructions and those that came with the gyro to do the adjusting work myself without the help of the bike shop. Thanks for the help.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:07:05 PM by kev3344 »