Author Topic: Profile crank spindle length  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
Profile crank spindle length
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »
Hi everyone!

I would like to ask your opinions based on your experiences about the cranks.
I have not use profile cranks before and I am buying one which is the profile light with ti spindle.

I am a bit concern about the the distance between the cranks and rear tube. Most of us experienced dents on the rear tube portion because of the cranks minimal distance.

I want to have the 6" long ti spindle. To keep the distance away a bit. Or do I have to get the 5.5" length spindle? Then just adjust the distance with spacers?

Any opinions is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline SaschaB.

• Cliffhanger
Re: Profile crank spindle length
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
Nowadays you normaly have no problems with Cranks in any cage for using.
Specially not with Profile-Cranks, cause this is one if the oldest and most expirienced Brands in
BMX who made Cranks for decades in history of BMX.
I ride a Magnutanium Crank from Profile for Years now and also rode other Cranks from Profile and had
now Problems with them.
If you ride a new Frame the Spindlelenght of 5.5 inch is long enough, cause the rearends and tubes of nowadays frams has become much thinner than in the 90's.

Profile Cranks is a good Choice to get good looking and funktional longlasting gear with history in mind!!

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:46 PM »
Thank you saschab.

My frame is Ares Garuda 2007. I have chosen the 6" spindle during the order I have made. I asked already Pat and he's looking one for me. I am still waiting for his advise.

If that's the case. Then I should go for 5.5" length spindle as long as they have at least half inch distance with normal spacers each side. I purchased also tree spline sprocket.

If the distance is 1 cm. I think it's critical enough. So cannot guarantee safe dent precautions.   

Thank you once again. I am still waiting more advise. Maybe I could change my option to Pat. Hope it's fine.

:beer:

Offline SaschaB.

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »
I did a Foto for you!!
So here you can see my Bike and Cranksetup.
It's a Profile Magnutanium with 145mm Crankarmlength and with a 5.5 inch Spindle inside,
on a Zion Focus Frame. I use this setup of Cranks with Tree-Spline-Sprockets for years now and was using it on a lot of other Frames ( DIV, Instrumental, Collier, Quamen, MikeS Frame............)
in different BB-Setups and was always fine fine with it.  There never was a problem with Framedents from Crankarms or something like this.
If i would use a 6 inch Spindle it would be to long cause i would have to take the Crankarms much more outside without any needful effect for it. So if you ride a Garuda you will not have any reasons to use a 6 inch Spindle.
As you would take Crankarms with 175mm lenght you could think about the Idea of using a longer Spindle.
But if you use short ones like 145mm or 160mm there is no reasen for it.

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 05:57:21 AM »
Wow!

Thank you so much SaschaB. Very informative. Now I can decide what to choose.

BTW. Do you suggest the profile no boss cranks?  :D

Offline SaschaB.

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
I never tried out the No Boss Crank. I personaly would prefer the regular Crankset, because to have just the possebilty the ride regular Sprockets.

Perhaps soebody else could make a statement about the no boss Cranksets.....

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
Thank you SaschaB.. I appreciate your infos.

Actually I have decided to get the 6". Reasons are: To make the crank and spindle fully mounted to each other, distance can be adjusted with spacers with max mounting as well.

In your 5.5" spindle. Does it fully mounted? or 3/4 of the crank spline? 

And I have chosen the no boss as well. Love the clean look.  :beer:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:16:52 PM by Rizalflatlander »