Author Topic: EuroBB died - taking off Hindenburg cranks  (Read 1584 times)

Offline wargrip

• Forkglider
EuroBB died - taking off Hindenburg cranks
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »
So I think my EuroBB died today... cranks are REALLY tight to turn even with no chain. Only had this BB for about 2.5 months - is it normal for one to die so soon?

Anyway... going to replace it with a decent BB but I need to get my KHE Hindenburg cranks off first.

I've gotten as far as taking off the two bolts on either side with an allen key (the black one and bright blue one), but not sure what to do next. I presume I need a crank puller of some sort (apologies - never had to take off my cranks before - still learning). Would this work?

http://www.reveloutdoors.co.uk/Park-Tool-Crank-Puller-(CCP-22)/accessorydetail/1-37836

Anyone have any tips and a link to a crank puller that works for these cranks specifically?

While I'm here - recommendations for a good BB?

Cheers!

Grip
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:48:29 PM by wargrip »

Offline sbbbmx

• Hitchhiker
Re: EuroBB died - taking off Hindenburg cranks
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
YO FIRST OFF PUT THE BLUE ONE BACK ON ITS A 2 PIECE CRANK THAT THE DRIVE SIDE ARM IS THE ONLY ONE THAT WILL COME OFF, the park one mite work it needs a larger diameter end to it as axle is hollow

Offline SaschaB.

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »
Hey,

Here you see how to install the Cranks:
http://www.khebikes.com/2012/crank-installation-p-1332.html

And this tool you need to remove the Arms from Axle by skrew it into the Axle and use a big Hammer
to knock the Axle off the Arm.

Its a removal tool for all 48 Spline-Axle 3-piece Cranks ( Profile, WTP, KHE...........)
Perhaps a friend of yours does have a tool like this.

The Tool that you asked for is not the right one!! This one is for Cranksets in ''regular Mountainbikes''

Normaly, an Euro-BB holds up for Years when installed and used right!
For this please check out The KHE Site for installation it right.
 :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:38:22 PM by SaschaB. »

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
Euro BB bearings are very small and crush easily.

With normal bmx this is not an issue, since the bearings are actually designed to take vertical loads (most of the force normal bmx gives bearings during normal use, i.e: not falling off)

however with flatland we put all sorts of strange angled forces on the bike daily - forces that bearings, handlebars and frames by their very nature are not designed to take.

Plus we fall off probably a bit more learning tricks.

So if you keep slamming your cranks/pedals into the ground looping out of tricks, or trying whoppers - those bearing will not last you very long.

I used to go through spanish BB's once every 2/3 months, however I have learnt to bail my tricks differently and save my bike from slamming on most tricks.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.