Author Topic: Flatware Vandero 2 Hub  (Read 5920 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Flatware Vandero 2 Hub
« on: October 15, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »

Flatware came up with a new hub! They posted a few details on their website:

\"The Flatware Vandero 2 hub is based off our proven and trusted Vandero 2 hub, but has narrower flanges for foot/hand clearance and is flatland specific. This may sound like a minor feature, but it makes a huge difference when the rider’s feet/hands are in that area. The angled flanges on the Flatware hub are 52mm wide, which is over 10mm’s narrower than the Vandero 2 hub.\"

Check the parts section for more details: Flatware - Vandero 2

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
Re: Flatware Vandero 2 Freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
This is not a FC...!
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

byke

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
As other posters will have gathered this is simply a front hub and not a freecoaster as described originally.
I wrote on a blog about this product a while ago.

The Vandero 2 Hub (Flatware edition) :
Originally, Another great product where the street version of the hub from Odyssey has been ported over to Flatware. And while I dont doubt it is a great product for the market it was originally intended for (Odyssey - street / trails / park etc …. ) does a flatland hub really need such an emphasis on axle strength ? I mean, the original Vandero 1 hub was originally based on a pretty much a Suzue sealed hub. It featured a standard 3/8” axle and large sealed bearings. However with the introduction of the Vandero 2 hub. It was improved for street riders by adding a larger alloy internal axle, and reducing bearing size. This put greater emphasis onto axle strength and reduced the empahsis on bearing load since dirt and park riders dont have such priority as flatlanders in this area (side load). But while there is no doubt that this is a good product that meets the intended purpouse for the market originally intended. Has flatware released a product to the same design quality we have come to expect from its big brother owner - Odyssey?

Offline Booroo

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
Never saw "freecoaster" specification for front hubs...
Better to ride not so smooth but with your own style, than trying to be a copy.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »
ffs
Flat-ism

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »
First came into my mind was a new freecoaster from odyssey!

It's just funny 'cos this ain't freecoaster.

;D

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
Those are really nice handlebars.

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 06:38:40 PM »
I take full responsibility for adding a 'free' where it doesn't belong ;-)

So how do you like this new fork?  :beer:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:41:50 PM by martin »

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Flatware Vandero 2 Hub
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
Speaking of companies and parts, KHE still has yet to have any information regarding the Greyhound freecoaster on their website.  A myth, perhaps?
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
Byke, I have a sample of this hub I have been using for awhile.  It's been holding up fine.  Bearings are nice and smooth, no problems.  I believe it uses a smaller axle then the Gsport hubs which are know to be some of the smoothest and strongest hubs around and alot of flatlanders use them without issue.

Brian

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »
Byke, I have a sample of this hub I have been using for awhile.  It's been holding up fine.  Bearings are nice and smooth, no problems.  I believe it uses a smaller axle then the Gsport hubs which are know to be some of the smoothest and strongest hubs around and alot of flatlanders use them without issue.

Brian

Man, I had a vandero 2 (still do actually sitting in my closet) and the bearings crapped out after one summer of riding. I switched to a G sport and the difference was insane. I guess I've just never had much luck with vanderos though, they break on me easily.

byke

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
Woodie/Brian - I am sure that the hub is ok for general riding and many riders will be happy with it.
But at the time of writing the article it was drawn from a larger article which asked If flatware had found its niche market? Because while I have great respect for Odyssey and the products they produce, I have found myself asking what is the point of flatware products since most of their products seem not to be designed to the same standard that i see odyssey parts are in regards to the riders they are marketing themselves to.

If I wanted a new hub, I don't think I would buy this hub just because it has narrower flanges.
Other brands have offered this feature on their hubs in the past, but have added more features than just taking a street product and rebranding it with flange width.

I really have great respect for odyssey as a brand and consider them to be one of the best BMX brands out there. But flatware in my opinion is half assed and has done nothing to really warrant any association to such.

http://bmxparts.tumblr.com/post/9245520124/flatware-is-it-really-a-division-of-odyssey

Offline bhaverchuck

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Coming from an avid supporter of Flatware (currently riding the Waltz), I'm disappointed at their current product offerings. Not asking for the wheel to be reinvented but reliable solid products the current market is asking for. For example, 2 piece bars, straight tube frame, and a reliable freecoaster.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:37:53 PM by bhaverchuck »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
A reliable freecoaster would be nice considering KHE isn't shipped through QBP anymore, and would rather use a scooter distributor than sound business sense.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
Straight tube Flatware frame is in the works, two piece bars also!
"A puppet no more!"