Author Topic: My New Custom Frame  (Read 11005 times)

Offline Adam DiClaudio/Austin Flat Crew

• Hitchhiker
  • setup, switch, setup, switch, 3.14, 3.14...
My New Custom Frame
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:13:46 AM »
Wanted to share my new design. London Bikes. It's in production right now, here is the CAD drawing. ;D

Specs:
75 HT, 73 ST, 12.5" CS, 18.5" TT, 14" BBH, yes 14" high Bottom bracket...
Adam D Yall!

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
Re: My New Custom Frame
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:07:42 AM »
is that the gun that snowtroopers used in empire strikes back?

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:32:25 AM »
weight?

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
is that the gun that snowtroopers used in empire strikes back?
FTW!!!

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
modified Suelo Tubo?

loque

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
st martin has done something similar,in the past.it broke everywhere...if your frame is less than 2.2 kg it will break i think sooner or later for a weak design like this.

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
each to your own...
Flat-ism

loque

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
each to your own...
In your case i think its more "own one of each"

Offline mitch

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
st martin has done something similar,in the past.it broke everywhere...if your frame is less than 2.2 kg it will break i think sooner or later for a weak design like this.

Agree with his point! Frames with a design like this simply won't hold very long. Period....

Offline Adam DiClaudio/Austin Flat Crew

• Hitchhiker
  • setup, switch, setup, switch, 3.14, 3.14...
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
I don't know the weight yet. (its in production not built yet) It is similar to a Tubo frame for the front tubes to be together, but of course it's totally different geometry. It will feel way different than that frame. As for St Martin making a similar frame, It all depends on the thickness of tubing, where you decide to put the thickness of tubing, how its welded, what type/brand of steel, how it's treated, angles, and the person riding it.  If St, Martin's cracked, doesn't mean this one will. I'm venturing in a direction with my design that few have done, if it cracks, then it cracks. Should I sit back and not try because it could crack? I figured a lot of negative comments would come here at global about it, (that's what a lot of riders do here), because I'm not following the trend of making a big ass triangle street frame. Well I made it for me, not for the haters, so if anything, I hope you get some inspiration to be creative and innovative free thinking and make a custom part for yourselves.
Adam D Yall!

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
I give you props for drawing something up unique for yourself and bringing it to fruition.  I like the idea of more room in the front end, big triangles may be stronger but get in the way for some tricks. 
18.5" tt??  Aren't you a bit tall for that?  Meh, to each thier own.  Congrats on gettting it done.

Brian

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
I don't know the weight yet. (its in production not built yet) It is similar to a Tubo frame for the front tubes to be together, but of course it's totally different geometry. It will feel way different than that frame. As for St Martin making a similar frame, It all depends on the thickness of tubing, where you decide to put the thickness of tubing, how its welded, what type/brand of steel, how it's treated, angles, and the person riding it.  If St, Martin's cracked, doesn't mean this one will. I'm venturing in a direction with my design that few have done, if it cracks, then it cracks. Should I sit back and not try because it could crack? I figured a lot of negative comments would come here at global about it, (that's what a lot of riders do here), because I'm not following the trend of making a big ass triangle street frame. Well I made it for me, not for the haters, so if anything, I hope you get some inspiration to be creative and innovative free thinking and make a custom part for yourselves.
Hello,
personally i am not a hater but st martin frame was 2.2 kg and there were 2-3 different tubing thicknesses as they wanted to go on production.
For me personally i would break this in less than 6 months if the weight was 2.2 kg for sure.
your style might not be like mine and you might have smoother style than me so it all depends.
if they tubes are beef it might hold up for some time but with that low stand over height and for sure low weight that it will be we will see.
yes you are right street style frames are trend but you have to sacrifice strength or space.
me i dont ride front wheel so i dont need space on the front.
so a lighter double triangle frame will suit me better since i only need the low tt for whoppers and decades,but even those dont need so much space on a flatland bike that is moving so fast.
your frame will not be bended as london bikes welds instead of bend so it will be stronger i guess,as we can see on the cad.
but yeah i would buy a 1 pound frame heavier frame so i will have to move around the frontwheel easier.

on another note the design is nice and it will help you a lot i guess,since its custom and it is made specifically for you and your tricks.
regards

byke

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
I am looking forward to see what this will look like when it's all built up.
Just out of interest, will you run higher bars to offset the BB height?

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »
I remember when u had your bars made ppl said they would break and they seem to be holding up so f*ck it. make what u want. u the one riding it