Author Topic: Taska coaster reviews?  (Read 6904 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Taska coaster reviews?
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:06:38 AM »
Has anyone had any bad experiences with these? My 3 year old geisha has seen better days and I'm thinking of trying something new. I've always had good experiences with Geishas, but they don't stock them at QBP anymore. Figured I'd test the waters on the taska. Not going to buy until I can get a sense of how reliable/easy to work on they are.

Offline splf1

• Hitchhiker
    • www.onelovebmx.com
Re: Taska coaster reviews?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
dude nankia till i die. except no other

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
My friend bought the Darwin complete from FF once they came onto market. First thing i did after he recieved delivery was dissassemble the hub to see whatsup with it. Pretty straight forward with disassembly and assembly. Appeared to be a pretty solid little hub, this thing is super light. Only thing i didnt really like about it was how the clutch grabs into the axle/ wears the set screws down *engaging* and that portion of the axle at the sametime.
Maybe even helping shorten the life of a standard 3/8ths one piece axle. The bearings are pretty small, but ive not heard anyone talk of blowing them out. They spin forever, and when coupled with a relatively light rim... Weigh basicly as much as a front wheel. I think id give it a go..Worse come to worse.. you spend an additional. 20-30 to refresh it.. and sell it for 40ish less then you paid for it?

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:27 AM »

I wouldn't recommend a sealed Taska if you're looking for durability. I got a Taska U-Free and it was as smooth as can be for about 3 months of frequent riding until it started to ghost pedal about a 1/4 of a crank turn when rolling on the rear. I opened the hub to find it was the clutch/resistance collar which unlike the solid one piece clutch you're used to on your Geisha is tack welded together and with time separates. The same thing happened to both my Taska U-Free and Ares Boo 2 hub so be aware. I have seen some photos on-line of a solid 1-piece clutch/engagement collar but don't know if current models use these so would ask whomever you're considering buying from before doing so. As for the engagement there is a larger engagement gap and it's not adjustable by tightening the screws on the engagement collar like some thought. In conclusion the only advantages you have with a Taska U-Free over a KHE Geisha FC hub is larger sealed bearings in the driver and a solid 1-piece axle with both lock nuts and cone nuts which don't undue as easily as the studs on the Geishas do.

Anyhow, much luck.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:43:51 AM by MATRICKS »

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:19:12 AM »

I wouldn't recommend a sealed Taska if you're looking for durability. I got a Taska U-Free and it was as smooth as can be for about 3 months of frequent riding until it started to ghost pedal about a 1/4 of a crank turn when rolling on the rear. I opened the hub to find it was the clutch/resistance collar which unlike the solid one piece clutch you're used to on your Geisha is tack welded together and with time separates.

Same here... hub worked well for a few months, the the tack welds broke on the collar. FF said that it'd cost more then the hub itself to get a replacement, and while I'm sure I could've gotten someone to weld it back up, pfft. Went to a Federal V2 wheel with a converted axle, and it's been all butter since.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »
See that's the thing, everyone uses that stupid 14mm axle and I'm sorry but that's just overkill for flatland. I don't want to have to deal with changing all that out. My geisha only seized up because I've barely ridden in the last year, and I never thought to open it up because i wasn't as hard on it as I usually am. It works fine mind you, but it's just annoying not being able to get the damn thing open anymore.

Offline manu

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
I've been riding them since they surfaced.
In my humble opinion there are three main flaws on the Ufree;
  • the seat for the bearing on the non-drive-side is ridiculously small which causes the bearing sinking in deeper overtime.
  • the three little balls in the clutch make a too small of a contactsurface which results in wear.
  • the two piece clutch breaks on the welds
Try finding a first gen, the principle with the springs is far superior.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »
See that's the thing, everyone uses that stupid 14mm axle and I'm sorry but that's just overkill for flatland. I don't want to have to deal with changing all that out.
That's exactly the reason I gave the Taska a go before any of the KHE hubs, but it didn't pan out. Then the Federal V2/Primo Rim wheels got heavily discounted, so I just jumped on it.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »
the way you ride, the surface you ride on (based on previous posted vids of the spot you ride at) - taska ufree (and it's rebranded clones: runkai; boo2; etc...) and taska sealed freecoasters aren't for you. loads of singaporean riders have 'issues' with the bearings, ghost-pedalings and engagement gap after the honeymoon period.

manu is right - the taska sealed is slightly better (first gen.; good luck in finding replacement parts though)

you might feel otherwise but 14mm axles hub aren't definatly overkill for a rider of your calibre, know you have past issues with nankai k-series hub, but do consider the nankai bamboo in the 3/8 axle or 14mm axle version.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:36:48 AM by K.Wong »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 03:32:05 AM »
"My geisha only seized up because I've barely ridden in the last year"...imagine...LIFE. Kinda catches up huh? ;D

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 05:47:06 AM »
"My geisha only seized up because I've barely ridden in the last year"...imagine...LIFE. Kinda catches up huh? ;D

Yes, torn cartilage does kind of put a damper on my riding time. I bet I still rode more in the last year than you've ridden in the last five though. Maybe I should have added a preface of "I'm riding less than I have in the last decade, which was quite a bit."

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
Yes, torn cartilage does kind of put a damper on my riding time. I bet I still rode more in the last year than you've ridden in the last five though. Maybe I should have added a preface of "I'm riding less than I have in the last decade, which was quite a bit."

guys, please keep the g-flat forum peaceful.

all the best to tj and his search for a f/c.

ps: if you are considering the taska, brandon fenton might be the person to ask? think he did some upgrades and mods to his ufree...