Author Topic: Prototype Eclat Shane Weston signature freecoaster  (Read 6125 times)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Prototype Eclat Shane Weston signature freecoaster
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
I just spotted this on BMXunion: http://www.bmxunion.com/blog/events/interbike-2011-eclat/

Shane Weston’s freecoaster may just be the reason I give a freecoaster a go. They did a new design with the freecoaster that’s essentially a regular cassette, they just altered the internals to allow for the pawls to disengage when in reverse. I won’t lie, I think I’d have to see the insides to really get it. The good news is that the full details will be dropping soon. This is just a prototype, and they plan on making the shell a little smaller (it’s the same shell as the hubs up top) and fix some issues they have been having with the slack. But, Harry said it shoudln’t be long (like a few months) until it’s out. Get psyched.

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
Re: Prototype Eclat Shane Weston signature freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
Thanks for finding this! I've anxious to know more about it... I would like to see the internals also. I was wondering about the slack too. How are they going to do that...
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
I've been thinking about something like this for 6 years now.  Rad
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
Found this on The Merged site: http://themerged.com/2011/09/05/eurobike-eclat-freecoaster/

So it was Eurobike last weekend and the whole bike industry had lots of new stuff to display and announce. Out of all that was displayed im very excited to see this, Eclat‘s answer to the Freecoaster. I’m guessing it will be their newest recruit Shane Weston‘s signature hub, and going by Harry and Klaus’ ability to re-invent the wheel with most parts on a bike, im hoping this will be the answer to all Freecoaster riders out there. The internals still havent been released but from what I hear it features a “pawl” type mechanism that hasn’t been used before. Expect an official announcement and more at Interbike later this month. If the guys at Eclat get this right, this could be the best Freecoaster released so far…

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
Just to keep this freecoaster talk going. Ive heard rummers by people who know Lino Gonzalez and people that hang with the Animal team that they are working on a freecoaster too... Who knows?!

Offline mitch

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:55 AM »
this one looks so good! Hope it comes out soon, because I really need/want a new coaster.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
The thing with these new "street" freecoasters is that they will probably[/color] have a non adjustable minimal gap... that's not so nice for most flatland riders...

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:31:48 PM »
true but people like tyrone williams runs a khe with full gap. it opens the possibility of a more durable type of coaster with less maintenance. the pawls idea or bearing type idea vs the clutch type. ezras looks promising and k. poynter said the weight is on par with a standard cassete. ;D

loque

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
I can honestly say ive never adjusted the gap on a freecoaster ever.

Offline mitch

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
I can honestly say ive never adjusted the gap on a freecoaster ever.

same goes for me. ::)
And I just want to have a slim, reliable, good looking and of course light freecoaster. One I can use for flat and street! And this one looks very promising to me....

But I think we have to wait till next year. Unfortunately...

Offline Joshua S.

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • Modern Bikes BMX
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 03:21:23 AM »
Neither have I... As long as it rolls backwards and lasts I'm ok with it. But, no f/c has done the latter for me yet. ;) Can't wait to see how this works!
Modern Bikes is all about YOU the rider:
www.modernbikesbmx.com

Offline KD

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »
I remember back a few years Leif Valin saying he had modified a cassette hub to work like a freecoaster.  Apparently you would back pedal and the pawls would disengage...  I wonder if this is similar...  Must have some sort of cam to disengage the pawls. 

I love the look of this hub.  About the size of a regular cassette hub.  Hopefully it works well! 

If anyone finds any more pics post them up!  Pics of internals would be awesome too though not likely...   :beer:

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
^ I remember this.  I want to say it was a premium part , but not 100% sure