Author Topic: Primo Balance rims  (Read 3524 times)

Primo Balance rims
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
Anyone used these and have any feedback? Are they suitable for a 90kg flatlander?

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
Re: Primo Balance rims
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
7000 series?  Good rim.. 

Ey I'm thinking I might need some rims in the late future and the latest primos(7005 series) looks good, but I think I saw somewhere someone said that using alloy nipples makes the spokes go right through, don't know if this is true
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »
did you do a seach? this topic came up more than once...
1) angular corners - not really good hand-feel when doing hitchhikers;
2) a faulty batch exist - more than a few riders on my side of the pond had to have them rims warrentied, which primo did;
3) not the lightest rim for its price point (you can get cheaper rims, some equal or even lighter in weight);
4) lots of small metal bits are left stuck in the holes;
5) rims are wider than i prefer;

the good
1) the chrome is decent - better than the sun rynos at least...;
2) primo warrenties them, so...;

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
Good stuff K.Wong,

Whats the best rim for ya buck?
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
I have been using the same Primo Balance 7 series rims with GSport nipples for two years. No problems.
I think you guys may be confusing them with the cheaper 6 series Balance rims which did have issues with spoke nipples pulling through.

Mine have been hassle free for two years. Would highly recommend.
K.Wong mentioned they are not the lightest rim at that price point. I dont agree at all.
Most rims of similar quality and style at that price point - Odyssey, GSport, Fly or Proper weigh more than the Primo.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
Good stuff K.Wong,

Whats the best rim for ya buck?

some might disagree strongly - alex dm22s, sun ryno lites xls, alienation deviant - for hand feel, weight and prices.

odyssey 7ka, hazzard lites, hoffmans and gsport ribcage for strength and prices.

in actual usage, there's not much differences between the 7005 aluminium rims and 6000 aluminium rims - spoke tension, count, quality spokes and consistant truing and good nipples play a larger part in how well your wheels rolls and last.

I have been using the same Primo Balance 7 series rims with GSport nipples for two years. No problems.
I think you guys may be confusing them with the cheaper 6 series Balance rims which did have issues with spoke nipples pulling through.

nope - ordered the 7005 balance rims from flatland fuel; unless patrick swipe me the 6000 series and charged me for the 7005 series (which i don't think he did, patrick is a stand-up guy), and i had primo warrentied them as such.

like i said before, i suspected that there's was a faulty batch, my ex-rims had their side wall split open too! my warrentied rims are alright so far...

i purchased my rims when there was a $20 extra charge for chrome 48's. the weight is 436 g+(chrome's slightly heavier) versus the 425g+ for the ryno light XL@$49.99 and 394g (no chrome option @ flatland fuel) for the sun envy rims @ $54.99. and i sure crc has great deals on sun rims too!(i purchased my 1.5" pinned sun rynolite for like $34 usd?).

yes, i know i'm comparing 7005 money for 6000 series money but i feel the the 6000 series aluminium are good enough for me and haven't given the headache the 7005 rims did so...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
posted old pixs of my 7005 rims, will update new pixs here. buyer beware!

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=49693.0

kelvin.
(not a hater, just dissapointed)

edit: updated pixs, see:

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=29757.555

on page 38!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:54:31 AM by K.Wong »