Author Topic: Wrist guards for flatland riding?  (Read 3769 times)

Offline henbo

Wrist guards for flatland riding?
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:16:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm an old school flatlander from the 80s. I've been away from riding for years, and getting the bug again. Back when I was 20 I broke two bones in my wrist when I overcooked a backwards decade. It healed up fine and hasn't bothered me since, but I'm a little worried that my 39 year old body needs a little protection. Anyone have recommendations for wrist protection that don't get in the way too much?

What are the aging old school riders using for easing the aches and pains?

Thanks,
Henbo

Offline TheGingerKid

• Funky Chicken
Re: Wrist guards for flatland riding?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »
Not to hijack the thread or anything but on the topic of wrist protection. Is there anything one can do to keep their wrists from getting sore or weak/injured so easily? For example, an exercise for wrist strength maybe?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:38 AM »
I have some torn cartilage in my left wrist and I use this weird self adhesive wrap stuff for it. Guards and braces really geti n the way and can start hurting but the wrap works really well.

loque

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
I have some torn cartilage in my left wrist and I use this weird self adhesive wrap stuff for it. Guards and braces really geti n the way and can start hurting but the wrap works really well.
Would you be able to provide a link to the stuff you use? thanks.

Offline rawshark

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »
I use boxer's handwraps like this: http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3813947&s=D-StorePrice-MOD&cp=3201689.3202312.2669278.694024

Works great for me, plus I feel all baddass ;)
Got to wear gloves as well though otherwise the part that crosses your palm gets all chewed up.

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »
I use these which are pretty cheap http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47034
I'm also the same age as you and returning to flatland after ages.  These wrist protectors are pretty good but the palm area gets pretty tworn up if you bail so you might want to wear gloves over them.
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:14:31 AM »

Would you be able to provide a link to the stuff you use? thanks.

http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/AceBrand/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U523007440I2J5O2R30225_nid=43Q7DFQ6FGbeKG7SM2H484gl

Stuff in the top middle basically.

Just restricts movement around my wrist enough so that only more extreme bends hurt it.