Author Topic: KHE GEISHA LIGHT freecoaster mod so you can tighten studs  (Read 12194 times)

Evil_Lincoln

Re: KHE GEISHA LIGHT freecoaster mod so you can tighten studs
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »
I did the mod a while back and have so far had no problems with it.  I used a small straight edge to make sure the washers were not ground down past the end of the axle.  I colored the end of the axle with a marker, then (with the washer on) passed the edge back and forth across it...when it barely scratched off the marker, I knew I was done.  Plus, I didn't torque the crap out of anything, just snugged it up nicely.  Enough that i couldn't loosen anything by hand yet not so much that I mangled anything.  Honestly, the hub spins better with the mod than without it, and mine doesn't have the play in it that everyone complains about.  Time will tell if what I did was wrong, I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:39:30 PM by Evil_Lincoln »

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 04:06:14 AM »
After years of destroying bearings and axles, I think I've finally figured out the issue with this hub.  First - remove all of the bearings, and thoroughly clean the surface of the hub shell and bearings.  Reinstall the bearings after applying loctight to the hub shell and driver (where the bearings sit).  This will remove the play that is felt from the non-driver bearings not sitting in the hub shell well (they can be hand pressed in = too much play, especially for the drive side bearing that has no inner race, and relies on the stability of the driver to act as it's race which in turn relies on the stability of the axle from the non-drive side bearing).  Running your studs loose will inevitably destroy your bearings as well.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 01:58:05 AM »
Personally, and I've only been on G-lite for about 6 months, I think most all problems come from people not OR allowing the non-drive side to become unlocked. You can only lock it up when the hub is apart, and it can come loose very easily when simply removing your back wheel.
The drive side stud should be snug, just enough to take away any play. Many times its really necessary to dial this hub in with a 19mm(3/8"studs) cone wrench at the same time your tightening your axle nut on the drive side, but again, I've only been on it for 6 months. Doing it this way, I've had no problems and she spins forever.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.