Author Topic: Notchy gearing  (Read 2699 times)

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
Notchy gearing
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »
Does anyone elses setup suffer from this?

My chain is at a pretty steep angle. This is the only way I could get the cranks mounted (and crank arm directly mounted to sprocket) without touching the chain stays. Everything is new, I figure the sprockets will wear in. Still don't like it.

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
Re: Notchy gearing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:31:09 AM »
Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:54:33 AM »
Maybe use a washer or two in the rear to set everything up more directly? What frame/cranks are you running?

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Maybe use a washer or two in the rear to set everything up more directly? What frame/cranks are you running?

Colony Cube and Profile 165s.

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
Really need to see a picture.  But if your sprocket and your driver are that far out of wack you will do more damage to the sprocket, driver and your chain.
All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
What sprocket are you running?
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »

I have a funny feeling you have the wrong spacer between the sprocket and bottom bracket, or that you have the washers on the wrong side of your rear end. Either way, the alignment should be fine, it's just a matter of setting the spacers right.

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:48:59 PM »

I have a funny feeling you have the wrong spacer between the sprocket and bottom bracket, or that you have the washers on the wrong side of your rear end. Either way, the alignment should be fine, it's just a matter of setting the spacers right.

LOL. I used the washers on the spindle, to space them away from the frame. There isn't any room to put washers on the rear hub, it's a solid fit, no gaps.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »
A top down picture would be helpful.

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:52 AM »
Where did you put your spacers?  Between the BB & sprocket or between the sprocket & crank arm?
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:08:34 AM »
Where did you put your spacers?  Between the BB & sprocket or between the sprocket & crank arm?
Both sides.

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:36 AM »
A top down picture would be helpful.

I need a host, no Net right now.

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
Both sides.

Should only be in between the sprocket and BB.  If you put in between the sprocket and crank, it might warp your sprocket......
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
Both sides.

Should only be in between the sprocket and BB.  If you put in between the sprocket and crank, it might warp your sprocket......

No, I meant, both sides between Crank, spacers, and BB on left - then BB, spacers, sprocket, and crank on right. When standing over the bike and looking down from riding position.

Offline performula

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 03:58:22 AM »
OK, so how so I space the rear? I have about 3-5mm space between both crank arms and both chain stays.

I'm guessing I need to pull the rear wheel and cog. How do I do this? Special spacers needed?