Author Topic: Please Vote for Me on America's Got Talent  (Read 10889 times)

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
Re: Please Vote for Me on America's Got Talent
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
I voted, and it wasn't for the lady that played the piano upside down......yikes.

Offline SiC

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »
I was able to email vote multiple times from overseas  ;D
Old school newbie from Japan

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Too bad the judges probably knew what to expect and Matt couldn't try fake that the fall was part of the routine, like the bullys threw something at him or pushed him over. 

I hope the general public might identify with the story well and vote for him  anyway.  Regardless, the flatland community and all of our friends and families have been trying our damnedest to get him through.

Matt FTW!!!

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »
Riding in the dark with a bunch of glow sticks stuck to you is nuts... I'd have probably bailed off the stage under those circumstances.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
I thought what Piers Morgan was saying was very interesting and a good way of spelling out what we as riders might not notice about flatland.  He was complimentary of Matt and did say that what he was doing was difficult and entertaining  (all the judges liked the act!), but I think he was right in that the average person might have a hard time staying interested in anyone riding flat after more than a few minutes.  We tend to forget that because we're absorbed in riding and notice all kinds of details that are lost on the average viewer.  Tricks start to look the same to people after a while.  I've felt the same way watching something like technical climbing or juggling or listening to a drum solo.  It's a problem flatland has had since we got past barrides and cherrypickers in terms of difficulty.   I'm not sure what the answer is.   

Anyway, here's hoping that Matt makes it to the finals and wins the money.  Credit to Matt for trying something new with flat and having the follow through to actually go and do it, too!  I think it's cool he's expanding flatland past the same old model of doing things.   

And it's always cool to see flatland on TV. 

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
I thought what Piers Morgan was saying was very interesting and a good way of spelling out what we as riders might not notice about flatland.  He was complimentary of Matt and did say that what he was doing was difficult and entertaining  (all the judges liked the act!), but I think he was right in that the average person might have a hard time staying interested in anyone riding flat after more than a few minutes.  We tend to forget that because we're absorbed in riding and notice all kinds of details that are lost on the average viewer.  Tricks start to look the same to people after a while. 
I think we all found this out years ago courtesy of ESPN. As much as I'm down for flatland exposure, I'm almost certain that it will always be a losing battle presenting it to the masses. Looking at what Matt had to do to make his act "show friendly" for this competition pretty much proves this point; I'm glad to see him up there, but also bummed that it can't just be about the tricks. The singers and dancers are much less handicapped than Matt because they aren't forced to drift far at all out of their comfort zone. In the meantime, we've got one of our best out there falling on tricks he could do blindfolded if it weren't pitch black out with raver sticks f'ing up his balance. I hope Matt wins this whole thing simply because as unbiased as possible for me to say it, his act is straight up more difficult then singers trying a new song or dancers changing up outfits.  I suck at both the piano and flatland, but I can learn a new song in minutes compared to the months/years it takes for me to learn a new trick (in good lighting even :).

Offline indyBarber73

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
Just come out as Matt Wilhelm with the lights on and show Pierce Morgan that you in the lights is definately not boring,throw down that Jomo pro run he'll shut the hell up!!!!!There is alot more to offer a crowd when you can see what your doing, people will sh*t themselves, you are the best at what you do you got all my votes Matt.

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »
good luck next time matt
that fall hurt
x-ed out!

Offline Jodanimal

• Forkglider
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 11:09:28 AM »
I thought what Piers Morgan was saying was very interesting and a good way of spelling out what we as riders might not notice about flatland.  He was complimentary of Matt and did say that what he was doing was difficult and entertaining  (all the judges liked the act!), but I think he was right in that the average person might have a hard time staying interested in anyone riding flat after more than a few minutes.  We tend to forget that because we're absorbed in riding and notice all kinds of details that are lost on the average viewer.  Tricks start to look the same to people after a while. 
I think we all found this out years ago courtesy of ESPN. As much as I'm down for flatland exposure, I'm almost certain that it will always be a losing battle presenting it to the masses. Looking at what Matt had to do to make his act "show friendly" for this competition pretty much proves this point; I'm glad to see him up there, but also bummed that it can't just be about the tricks. The singers and dancers are much less handicapped than Matt because they aren't forced to drift far at all out of their comfort zone. In the meantime, we've got one of our best out there falling on tricks he could do blindfolded if it weren't pitch black out with raver sticks f'ing up his balance. I hope Matt wins this whole thing simply because as unbiased as possible for me to say it, his act is straight up more difficult then singers trying a new song or dancers changing up outfits.  I suck at both the piano and flatland, but I can learn a new song in minutes compared to the months/years it takes for me to learn a new trick (in good lighting even :).

What he said.. Why not keep it simple?? Flatland for what it is..

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 03:07:58 AM »
is the show really about talent? or is it about showmanship?

i never watch the show but occationally on its on when i pick my little one up so ill catch a few minutes here and there, i never catch any "talent" in those few moments.

nice work Matt, im most certain you got tons of votes :)

Offline rideflat43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
yeah maybe next time and next time not get eliminated and make it to the
finals!